Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

'04 hard lurch putting in gear, too many lights, 31K

Old 06-21-2021, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 hard lurch putting in gear, too many lights, 31K

This is the 3rd summer I havent been able to drive my '04 Coupe, auto with 31K and I need ANY suggestions. Starts and idles very nice. The dash is lit up with tire press, steering, check engine, ABS, Brake, BAS ESP, and the spoiler is up with the blinking switch. When I shift it into R or D, it launches very hard. At this point, the trans conductor plate, the trans control module, the ABS brake pump control module (under dash and behind the pump module, and 2 different engine control relay modules have been replaced. I spent $500 at the chrysler dealership only to have them tell me A. they arent too sharp with these cars, B. the same codes I told them when I dropped it off, C. at best they are guessing it is ABS pump control module (wasnt ).
The codes are 2064 Trans control system
2036 No cab Buss message
2064 Trans Control switch
2068 Trans control system

0778 Press control solenoid B
066A Serial Comm Link
0720 Output shaft speed sensor
2310 Controller area network tract system
2108 Shift press control solenoid malfunction

Taking it to my Chrysler dealership is a waste. I have no Mercedes dealers close. I use a MAC mentor. I am ready to throw parts at it to try to get it going again. If not, I am considering a drivetrain swap just so I can drive it again. I am at the end with this car. PLEASE, ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!! Thank you

Old 06-22-2021, 09:46 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: '04 hard lurch putting in gear, too many lights, 31K

No Chrysler or Mercedes dealerships. Find an independent import shop that works on Mercedes. It is a 2003 Mercedes SLK320 in Chrysler clothing.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Hello,
This tread had a lot of your same issues.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post745468
How old is your battery?
The relays have many issues I'd go through and check all of them and if they look like the solder joints need touching up I'd do it.
The wheel speed sensors are a regular culprit as well. I didn't see you list them on your hefty list of already replaced parts.
Hope I helped.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:35 PM

The battery was taken out for the winter. It is about a yr old, and I charged it before re installing it. But this has been going on for 3 yrs w different batteries. I am at the point it wont be back to Chrysler, I dont have any small foreign car repair shops close. I teach HS auto and have a good scan tool so I am usually pretty good w diagnostics but this has me totally baffled. It had the factory, a new Standard relay installed and then I installed a rebuilt DJ Tighe relay (recommended by this sight). I am ready to start installing any parts suggested on here because I dont know where to go from here. Would you suggest the back 2 wheel sensors, all 4? Even tho the conductor plate is new w no miles, I am ready to try a different one. I really am out of ideas.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:00 PM

I have not had this one happen to me yet. I looked at your list of parts and you listed the TCM, ABS, and ECM twice. I applaud you for your efforts thus far. Have you looked in the service manual on here. If you have an oscilloscope you may be able to TS the sensors before ordering. I tried to look up all the codes you are getting and with the codes you are getting I am thinking there has to be a short or ground that's not right. that 0720 is an output speed code. That's why I directed you to the speed sensor. Some one mentioned a switch under the transmission check tube that they replaced.
Have you checked the main and only chassis to engine ground it can get corroded and cause all kind of issues.
I am far from the best on here there are people that have been on here and troubleshooting these cars from 06. I just try to help where I can and to be honest I am not always right. This is not my full time job. I do enjoy this type of work and that is why I try to learn and help.
With the codes you listed Pizza guy may be the one to help you. There are some really great people here that have seen this and more I'm sure they will chime in when they can. You are in the right place. Just stay tuned and watch the magic!

Old 06-22-2021, 04:31 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
This is the 3rd summer I havent been able to drive my '04 Coupe, auto with 31K and I need ANY suggestions. Starts and idles very nice. The dash is lit up with tire press, steering, check engine, ABS, Brake, BAS ESP, and the spoiler is up with the blinking switch. When I shift it into R or D, it launches very hard. At this point, the trans conductor plate, the trans control module, the ABS brake pump control module (under dash and behind the pump module, and 2 different engine control relay modules have been replaced. I spent $500 at the chrysler dealership only to have them tell me A. they arent too sharp with these cars, B. the same codes I told them when I dropped it off, C. at best they are guessing it is ABS pump control module (wasnt ).
The codes are 2064 Trans control system
2036 No cab Buss message
2064 Trans Control switch
2068 Trans control system

0778 Press control solenoid B
066A Serial Comm Link
0720 Output shaft speed sensor
2310 Controller area network tract system
2108 Shift press control solenoid malfunction

Taking it to my Chrysler dealership is a waste. I have no Mercedes dealers close. I use a MAC mentor. I am ready to throw parts at it to try to get it going again. If not, I am considering a drivetrain swap just so I can drive it again. I am at the end with this car. PLEASE, ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!! Thank you
When you switched the transmission parts were the solenoids changed?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:35 PM

No I didnt. I replaced the conductor plate and fluid. How many solenoids are there and which do you suggest replacing?

Old 06-22-2021, 09:23 PM

Doc78, where is this one and only main ground you mentioned? It does seem like I wire brushed this early on without success but I certainly would try it (again?). Onehundred80 mentioned replacing solenoids, which I didnt do when I replaced the conductor plate, but would be willing to try that. I dont have a manual for the car. Any suggestions where I can find a manual? If I read right, there are 6 trans solenoids? Replace all 6 or are there certain ones that cause this? The RPMS dont rise, it does seem like the bands tighten down more than necessary and there is little slip, leaving a hard launch. I would like to replace the solenoids with OEM, they are $50per, but if thats what it takes.
Great suggestions guys! I really appreciate all the help.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:44 PM

Doc78, where is this one and only main ground you mentioned? It does seem like I wire brushed this early on without success but I certainly would try it (again?). Onehundred80 mentioned replacing solenoids, which I didnt do when I replaced the conductor plate, but would be willing to try that. I dont have a manual for the car. Any suggestions where I can find a manual? If I read right, there are 6 trans solenoids? Replace all 6 or are there certain ones that cause this? The RPMS dont rise, it does seem like the bands tighten down more than necessary and there is little slip, leaving a hard launch. I would like to replace the solenoids with OEM, they are $50per, but if thats what it takes.
The Service Manual can be downloaded from this forum, use search to get a hint where it is..
I mention solenoids because they do the gear changes.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:29 AM

Because it lurches hard in D and R, wouldnt that mean that 2 different solenoids would be bad? Is there something common to both of these solenoids that would make them both react the same way?

Old 06-23-2021, 10:48 AM

Because it lurches hard in D and R, wouldnt that mean that 2 different solenoids would be bad? Is there something common to both of these solenoids that would make them both react the same way?
I am sorry I really am not really familiar with the transmission. But a solenoid is mentioned in your fault codes and I had trouble with a tranny that had a sticky solenoid, not this Crossfire but a Chrysler with the same basic transmission.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:40 PM

The ground runs from the transmission to the chassis on the drivers side can’t miss it.
If you click the link on 180’s signature line it will take to the page to find the manuals.