Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Re: 11th Annual Fall 2017 -Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

Here's the link to my album of pictures from the 2017 Fall XFire ToD GTG.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made it OK, drove in the rain almost all the way. It stopped about 30 miles from home. I am glad to say I did get my top up. It would have been really rough if I had not. I asked Mark to help, and I guess he felt as though he had done enough. He said he would help, but never did, but that's OK he is under no obligation. Everything worked out, we had a wonderful time and got home safe.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ewaynec
I made it OK, drove in the rain almost all the way. It stopped about 30 miles from home. I am glad to say I did get my top up. It would have been really rough if I had not. I asked Mark to help, and I guess he felt as though he had done enough. He said he would help, but never did, but that's OK he is under no obligation. Everything worked out, we had a wonderful time and got home safe.
I guarantee someone else grabbed him and he got side tracked, then side tracked again, and again, and again. Glad you got your top up.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Made it home earlier today. Really enjoyed my time up at the dragon this year. Thankful for the potluck dinner, great idea. Friday's wheels through time was quite enjoyable, even though I couldn't give two flying nuns about motorcycles. Saturday was a grab bag for us, but we ended up at a brewery that had live music, good beer and great Brats. Dinner that night and then the weekend is over before you had a chance to blink.

Can't wait to see the pics all of you took over the weekend.

Nick

Old 10-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by ewaynec

VERY SORRY WAYNE - THIS REALLY DISTURBS ME, I kept trying to get away, and once I said, 'I gottta go look at this top..." I was told, "Oh, they are done out there.".

What happened to you can easily happen - I understand you interrupted the cycle and let it time out, it lost pressure and the cylinders relaxed. This is how it is designed to work, but problem is, the act of letting it time out can cause the system to lose track of where in the cycle it is – so it shuts down to prevent damage.

This has happened to me at least three times in eight years. The fix is easy.

Start the car, so the electrical system is fully powered up and the TCM is 'watching" the sensors.

Now, put the top up and down manually at least twice. You must do the complete cycle, including the hey key, so that the system “gets it”. And the key MUST be on, I prefer to have the engine idling as well.

The TCM will watch this and learn what is going on, it will know the cylinders are all in the right position and the TCM will then allow the pump to run.

Please keep in mind, there is NO reason to worry about the system. It worked as designed, (we may question the design, but it did work as designed). You should, of course, know how to put it up and down manually just in case, we all should - but I'm sure the system is fine, from what I’ve been told about the symptoms.

The reason it did not recover at first, was that the key was not on, so the TCM was not powered up fully and was not watching the sensors as you were doing it manually.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Cathy and franc made it home to St Louis today about 8:30 PM. The rain was horrendous until we got to Crossville TN. I had burned so much rubber off my rears this week end, I was hydroplaning. We had to stop and get new tires on the rear in Knoxville TN..

All NTB had was Michelin Pilots. But they got us home safely.

I hope all the others got home safely as well. Especially those going south and west. Miserable day for travel.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:49 AM

"VERY SORRY WAYNE - THIS REALLY DISTURBS ME, I kept trying to get away, and once I said, 'I gottta go look at this top..." I was told, "Oh, they are done out there."."

This really disturbs me! You are trying to make it look as though you were trying to help, but in reality you were trying to ignore me and it worked. No one held you there you went from one person to the next starting conversations. No one initiated a conversation with you, you went to them, leaving me standing there. After a couple of times, I realized what was happening and went back to my car.
Like I said you are under no obligation to help, and it didn't bother me that you didn't help, but your previous message makes it sound as though you tried. I remembered the previous night when you said you were sick and tired of people complaining to you, and taking too much of your time, I decided I would not bother you any more.
I did get the top working before the day was out, and drove through some hard rain around Chattanooga.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Just filled up the XFire from the drive home yesterday. Overall mileage for the entire weekend (drive up & back + various runs) was 26.5 mpg. Not bad for a performance-oriented sports car!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What can I say it was a great weekend! Lauren and I left the lodge at 4:30am with a little drizzle and a little fog once we headed out Rt 28 from the lodge. Once we hit I-40 the fog thickened and the farther east we traveled the thicker it got but once we got into Virginia and crossed over the mountain the fog was gone. It did slow us down quite a bit and took us about 10 1/2 hours to get home.
It was great seeing everyone again and meeting some new people as well. Lauren had a blast and really like meeting everybody and I think she's trying to push Mickie out of the passenger seat and come along for future Dragons. Everything was great from the gumbo (thanks Crystal and Marc) to the BBQ in Franklyn with Franc and the great hosts that shared their hospitality of their house and food and all the way down the cruises. This was my 21st Dragon and I never think that the next one can get better than the last but they always seem to be. I know my daughter will remember it for rest of her life. See you in the spring!!!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayne, I feel your pain...
While installing a new antenna (Thank you, Roger!)in the dark, in the parking lot, with the top partially up, the process "timed out" and sunk my top and it took a very intelligent and kind team of owners to save the day. I very much appreciate Roger, Robert, Mike, Carl and the others who saved this newbie who was freaking out that his convertible top had bitten it... Thanks to the "pit crew" that stuck with it long enough to get it all packed up.
I was able to return an hour later after it re-set for a top down, full moon ride on the Dragon and the next day's run to the Highland's waterfalls (Thanks, Andy...can't wait for the Dry Falls drone shot)
Good of you all to share your knowledge without abusing my lack of it!
Stephen

Attached Thumbnails 11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct  5,6,7,8-img_5199.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldemtn
Wayne, I feel your pain...
While installing a new antenna (Thank you, Roger!)in the dark, in the parking lot, with the top partially up, the process "timed out" and sunk my top and it took a very intelligent and kind team of owners to save the day. I very much appreciate Roger, Robert, Mike, Carl and the others who saved this newbie who was freaking out that his convertible top had bitten it... Thanks to the "pit crew" that stuck with it long enough to get it all packed up.
I was able to return an hour later after it re-set for a top down, full moon ride on the Dragon and the next day's run to the Highland's waterfalls (Thanks, Andy...can't wait for the Dry Falls drone shot)
Good of you all to share your knowledge without abusing my lack of it!
Stephen
Don't forget to give me credit ! After all, I was the cause of the whole circle jerk
George

Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

It was a great weekend, hopefully for all who attended. It was good to mix on Thursday evening and then again Friday at the Franklin BBQ.

I hope no one was offended when Cathy and I took Saturday off by ourselves. Between the grandkids and work, the last four months, we were living separate lives. After a summer mostly apart, we needed the time.

BTW; If anyone wishes to send Jim and Trish a thank you note, please PM me for the address.

franc

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-10-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Don't forget to give me credit ! After all, I was the cause of the whole circle jerk
George
Sorry, George:
Please replace my "typo" above of thanks for the new antenna and move yourself to the front of the line!
Whether circle jerk, cluster ****, or A Team, the job got done and I am grateful for you noticing my antenna and seeing the project through...
Sorry you missed the fun runs but made it home safe.
Best Regards,
Stephen

Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Again, as the past 4 years, thank you for a great 5th year! It was great to see all of you again and to meet our newbies. I got to drive in through The Dragon leading our new Kansas friends and to zip by our new Texas friends. It was fun to put the Crossfire in it's native territory, curvy roads.

Only a car nut would understand driving 10 hours in one day only to get back into the car the next to drive for 4 hours only the get back in the car the following day to drive 6 hours only to get back in the next day to drive 10 hours home.

The seat of an SRT6 is the best seat I own... Crossfire people are the best I know.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 10-10-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: 11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

Here is my video of the event , enjoy. Please watch in 4k (2160p) and turn up your volume as i added music.

Last edited by Valk; 10-14-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Andy. That is

Old 10-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice video as usual.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by AKING57
Here is my video of the event , enjoy. Please watch in 4k (2160p) and turn up your volume as i added music.

https://youtu.be/iNzijL6KePU?t=4s
I cant seem to get this video to start and the beginning so I had to manually start it from the beginning but love the entire video Andy

Old 10-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have uploaded all of my pictures and most of my videos to the Google Drive folder. I ran out of space for the videos while uploading... Have a few more to go. I will try to make space tonight and add the last few videos (GoPro folder) at that time.

I have included the RAW files for anyone who would like to play with these in PhotoShop.

Many of my photos taken on my camera are a bit fuzzy. I am going to have to check my lens, might need to be re-calibrated. I didn't realize until I got home. The photos taken on my phone are sharp.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...002SEVkUkxYWEk

Originally Posted by Crystal
As some of you know, I am a Photographer (Hobbyist). If I can stop being so excited long enough, I plan to take lots of pictures and post them here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...002SEVkUkxYWEk

Old 10-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

In the past "Photobucket" links no longer worked here but I have recently been told they do work here again so..........

Here are my pics from the event
Had a wonderful time everyone

Gary

Fall Tail Of The Dragon - 2017 Slideshow

Quick Reply: 11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8