Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Crossfire Trailer Hitch?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Trailer Hitch?

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I believe that "Prowler" trailer was a Plymouth option for the Prowler, so I assume the trailer hitch was probably an over the parts counter option as well.
Thanks for your input. I learn something every day on this forum.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
dnr

sport cars pulling trailers just look funny in my opinion.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM

This place lists hitches for the crossfire:

http://www.autoanything.com

And this place lists trailers

http://www.bushtec.com

Any trailer hitch assy will interfere with either the exhaust or ground clearance or both, not to mention the aerodynamics. I am thinking of getting a trailer for the crossire, that is one to put the crossfire on, so I can drive my van to events, and tow the crossfire.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Feel the love in this thread.

Like others that have posted above, I also have a need to bring tires and tools to the track along with my Crossfire. I'm also not about to purchase a several thousand dollar truck and trailer combo in order to do it. That's ridiculous. A small trailer capable of holding a set of tires, a floor jack and a toolbox can be had for a couple hundred dollars. Why spend thousands?

Anyway, I'm getting serious about this. MMZ_Timelord and the others that posted with similar needs, let's put our heads together and work it out. PM me if you're interested. I'd like to get this going over the winter and have a hitch ready for use in the spring '09 racing season.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:34 PM

OK ScottW I went to the site and can not find one for a crossfire. I did find one for the Merecedes SLK.Al

Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 AM

I never found one either, but if you go to the site, and type in a Crossfire, then it lists all the areas that it has product for, and Trailer Hitches are listed. I don't have the $2k-$3k for the trailer, so I didn't call them.

I was looking at the hitch on a prowler, and it is made by chrysler specific for that car (and so is the trailer). The tail pipes aren't in the way on the Prowler either. I'm not sure what posesed them to put the exhaust in the middle like that.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Thinking out loud:
I wonder if something could be bolted onto the tow hook in the rear?...

Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is something we are going to be working on guys. I'd like to see a show of hands so we have an idea what people would be pulling with it. Obviously you won't be able to pull a horse trailer or anything to heavy but I would imagine that 1000 pounds wouldn't be out of the question. That's a trailer and motorcycle or four-wheeler or lots of tools. Does everyone think that a 1 1/4" receiver would be adequate for this application?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
She can ride with me ;)

1000 pounds would be more than adequate for my needs. All I need to tow are two Crossfire rear wheels and tires, a floor jack, and a small amount of hand tools. If there's room for a cooler, great. If not, that can go in the trunk.

One thing I think is important for this hitch assembly is for it to be easily removable. Those of us that run at the track don't want the extra weight, and I'm sure for those that show the car don't want the look.

Last edited by tom2112; 11-12-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by tom2112
1000 punds would be more than adequate for my needs. All I need to tow are two Crossfire rear wheels and tires, a floor jack, and a small amount of hand tools. If there's room for a cooler, great. If not, that can go in the trunk.

One thing I think is important for this hitch assembly is for it to be easily removable. Those of us that run at the track don't want the extra weight, and I'm sure for those that show the car don't want the look.
What Tom said! All I initially want to tow is an extra trunk available at: http://www.bushtec.com/ unless someone comes up with a better mousetrap that like the Prowler trailer looks like it belongs to the car.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM

After 25 years of marriage, I still can not get my wife to pack. We are going on a long trip and would have loved to pull something very small - something that would contain her luggage; makeup, cloths, shoes, shoes, and the like... We'll simply drive with the top up and go topless when we get there.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 PM

The exhaust is in the way. The only option is to mount the hitch in the front and drive backwards.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:21 AM

Yeah, ya think.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

I have been looking at this for a while now,, my design would be to come out on ea side of the exhaust then go up and above the exhaust to the rear of the bumper and have a ball type hitch,, then you keep your exhaust where it is,, the other way was to build everything behind the bumper and have a removeable door where the rease hitch would slide into, just my cent and 1/2 worth. jim

Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim (amx1397),

That was my original thought. I had contemplated doing this so I could go to the track with a small trailer with tires, tools etc. on it.

Put supports inside the bumper across the chassis, reinforce where necessary and then put a little 'plug' in the hitch with the square from the bumper on it so all you see is a seam when not in use.

I don't currently have the budget for that right now as I'm looking for work.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Risking life, limb and XF I'll wade into these turbulent waters. I am and have been a supporter of this idea. Can the exhaust be routed so that the pipes exit in a "Y" shape leaving the center for a hitch to be attached there in some kind of way? When your not using the hitch you'd then have a dummy piece that looks like two pipes that fits into/over or onto the center to hide the fact that there is a hitch mount there something like this: You'd have a 4 pipe exhaust apearance, only two functional or a trailer/hitch attached with a working pipe on each side. I don't know and haven't looked under the rear to see how the exhaust comes back these guys torch, bend and reshape them it'd seem this part of the problem could be worked out in a simular fashion.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:00 PM

At the dragon we were talking about a 'Y' or a 'U' for the hitch so it could attatch to the car where the pipes arens, and then rise up above the pipes at the ball joint.

Friday I got under my friend's prowler (he has the hitch and a trailer) and looked at how it mounts, the prowler's pipes ar out of the way, but it basically does what I was saying above. I may buy a prowler hitch, and see if I can figure a way to bolt it on. It would be cheaper if I just measured my friends =)

Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Solar Racer has the right idea. Now if you could fabricate the brackets just a bit different, a muffler shop could fit a tail pipe on eash side of the receiver. A 1" receiver may give you more room as well.

James

Old 04-11-2009, 08:20 PM

I really don't want to mod the tailpipe, if I replace the exhaust, I want to return it to stock for sale, and the sell the mod pipes, but a mod like that will have to mod the bumper. I do have a spare bumper cover though, but it has a hole in it.

Sorry just thinking aloud

Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
She can ride with me ;)

I don't think you need to mod or move the tailpipes. It's not like there isn't room under the tailpipe and who cares of the tailpipe blows directly on your hitch? It won't hurt it.

Quick Reply: Crossfire Trailer Hitch?