Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Old member back for more, but with problems :(

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old member back for more, but with problems :(

Hey guys and gals,

I used to be on this site back in '06 under MoparAlleyCat. I have no clue what email addy I had used or what my password would have been and couldn't get a mod to write me back and help me out.

Anywhoodle, I just re-purchased a (used) '05 Roadster and have only had it a few months and have already had several problems with it. Of course it has no warranty and I never had problems with my previous one It had just under 40K on it and now has about 43K. It's unfortunately an auto.

Not too long ago my Check Engine light kept coming on after my car would start but not turn over. I had to disconnect the battery to trick the computer into the light going out so I could get it to start. This lasted briefly and at one stage the car died on me on the freeway after it started acted funny and wouldn't shift. I was able to make it to the dealer the next day (it didn't die till I pulled it into the service line) and the bad news was that it needed a new Crankshaft and Camshift sensor. I was also told it was in desperate need of a throttle body service and new air filters. I ordered the sensors myself and had the dealer install them but didn't get the other things handled yet. It's been running fine since (it seems to be shifting a hint rough but it's been that way almost since I can remember, so I'm not sure if it's just me not recalling my old car being like that or not being used to an automatic ). In any event, I put about 900 miles on it over the holiday weekend - was running fine, then today it started up fine but the Check Engine light is on. I was shaking like a leaf my entire drive to work but it seemed to run "normal."

My only other question is that I bought the car from a Mitsu dealer and they said they serviced it but couldn't clear out the service code, so when I start it up it shows (now) 10,200 overdue for service.

Do you think these could all be contributing factors? Is my best bet just to take it back to the dealer? I have no warranty and no money to spare unfortunately. I have a friend who can do the air filters/throttle body service for me if you think that's all it could be.

I presume my first step is to have somebody pull the code(s) first...

Help! (And sorry for the novel)!

Last edited by sdxfire; 12-03-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Old member back for more, but with problems :(

Pull the code first. Might direct you to the problem.
Go to Autozone, they'll pull it for free and tell ya what it might be.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After you get the code pulled, I would recommend you do several other steps:

Pull all the spark plugs, and inspect their condition, and check to make sure they are gapped properly. No point ignoring something that might point you very quickly in the right direction of if there is a fueling issue, or a spark issue with one of the cylinders.

Next up, pull the air box, and inspect the condition of the air filters.
Maybe someone did you the favor of installing K&N filters, and all you would need to do is pick up a cleaning kit, and give them a service. You never know.

After that, you will probably want to inspect the transmission fluid level.
If it is low, top it up, if that is possible on the automatic transmission (I'm used to the manual).

These are steps I recommend that everyone does whenever they buy a used vehicle, just so that you know the condition of the car you are buying.

BC.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont know what they would do to service the throttle body. Unless they need to get into that wiper assembly that is mounted to it. There is a procedure that is called 'Throttle Body Adjustment' that you can do in less than a couple of minutes. This is in the owners manual. Dont know if this will help you any but here it is. What it does is resets your ECU and it starts re-learning your driving habits . Good luck.

Throttle Body Adjustment. They say this works on all drive by wire vehicles and resets parameters WITHOUT Having to disconnect battery!

The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving
style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaptation.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions -

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2 minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing.

MikeR

Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

SD, pull the codes 1st, see what that tells. engine lts can be a lot of things, sometimes as simple as your gas cap isn't tight...so don't panic until you know...autos shouldn't shift rough, in fact, they are very smooth shifting, so if the car is running rough, that may make it seem to shift rough...you can do some of the things suggested above...certainly do clear the ECU from time to time, that is a difinite thing to do, but that isn't your problem w/ a code...let us all know if we can help steer you in the right direction and welcome back.....

Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

For your own piece of mind, contact the Mitsu dealer and find out what brand of engine oil they used. I bought the SRT6 and the 2007 used from non-Chrysler dealers and in both cases they used traditional oil rather than Mobil 0W-40. In both cases I had them change it as a condition of sale. Manual strongly recommends synthetic for a reason.

Agree on Autozone for the codes as a start. It might be a simple misfire due to bad gas.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM

Sigh. Thanks guys.

Well autozone is a bit further down the road from work, so I ran it over to Midas. For some reason he couldn't get my exact car to come up but he did it some back way and it was something to do with the Crankshaft sensor. This is one of the parts that I just replaced back in October.

He cleared the code out but told me if it populates again to run it over to a dealer and have it more specifically diagnosed. I bought the part from RockAuto.com and it does seem that they warranty their parts, although I suspect I either need my buddy to change it for me or I have to pay the dealer labor costs yet again . Only saving grace (well in addition to it being replaced) is that it might just be the positioning of it which might mean the dealer could cover it.

After I get this sorted out I think I'll try the ECU reset for the heck of it. I did buy it used so who knows how the chick before me drove it - other then not great since all the wheels have a bit of curb-rash on em .

Thanks guys

Old 12-03-2008, 01:55 PM

I also should probably just plan on getting her an oil change and the fluids checked. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Mitsu dealer didn't really service it if the filters were so dirty (according to a local Chrysler dealer).

Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The crankshaft position sensor is very easy to change out. If you have a slightly mechanically inclined friend it would only take about 15 minutes. It is on the back of the engine, drivers side, by the bell housing. One connector to pop off and one, E8 torx bolt, to take out. The sensor just pulls out and slides back in. There is NO adjustments to it. It only goes in one way. Put the bolt back in, tighten down snug and put the connector back on. That is it. You do need to take the air intake box off the drivers side to get clear access.

Guess how I know this.

MikeR

Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Yeah, he has built many-a-cars from the ground up so I definitely know he can do it. He was going to do it initially but the car being so unstable and already at the dealer (and dead) I just bent over and had them do it. So you think I'll probably just need it replaced then huh?

Hmm...experience I'm going to go with

Actually sounds easy enough; I've done a little work on cars here and there but I'd be nervous to try it myself without at least some form of supervision

Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by sdxfire
Hey guys and gals,

I used to be on this site back in '06 under MoparAlleyCat. I have no clue what email addy I had used or what my password would have been and couldn't get a mod to write me back and help me out.
Welcome back !!
I have been running a daily thread with members pics and I had used yours back on 9/25/08

Here was the post click here
For the entire thread click here

Check this thread each day for another members pics.

Gary

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 AM

Awww she was so purddy

Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back to the forum Sandy-Eggo !

Old 12-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by sdxfire
Awww she was so purddy
So who bought her ??
Are they a member here or were they ??

Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

When we take a car into the dealer or whoever, we are at their mercy. Rather than get into this position, go through the shop manual, with patience you can write down a list of possible causes of your symptoms. You should search for similar problems dealt with on this forum, if there are none, post a new question and wait. Meanwhile do your own research on the problem using the shop manual.

The answers to a lot of problems are in the shop manual, it may take some time but it can be done and lets face it you are not going anywhere without a car. Items like the crank position sensor is a good example. You will need a good multimeter to test for low voltage and ohms. Using the methods outlined in the manual you test it step by step.

When you find the problem you will be proud of yourself and when you tell the service rep what is wrong he probably thinks your full of s**t but so what. You will not have him saying you need other things replaced as well, lets face it how many times do two or three components go at the same time, rarely. They just cover all the bases and hope it works, then you pay for parts that were not needed in the first place.

This forum is full of tales of people who paid good money and still have the same problem. Not paying the money in the first place is much easier than trying to get it back.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
So who bought her ??
Are they a member here or were they ??
It was actually a company car so I sold the rims and then it was just turned back in and then I believe the cars go to auction.

My latest problem is that my roof leaks where the top meets the pillar, mostly on the drivers side. Seemingly only when the car isn't driving. Fine when I'm at home and the car is in the garage or I'm on the move - not so good when it's sitting here at work for a rainy 8 hour day Of course I never had this with my other XF but this car has no warranty so I guess I'll just keep a towel in the car or see if I can hitch a ride on rainy days . I parked it under a tree which is no doubt wreaking havoc with all the crap coming off of it but it keeps the leak to a minimum compared to when I took it out and parked it somewhere else at lunch. Pick your battle I suppose. Sigh. The fun never ends!