Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Headlights fogged over

Old 02-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights fogged over

This seems to be a problem with EVERY new vehicle on the market today. Anyone have a way to buff them out??

Jim Borgmann
Miami Springs

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Default Re: Headlights fogged over

Advanced Auto Parts sells a product called Crystal View.
Do a search in this forum on Crystal View and you will find others with similar results. This process starts out by wet sanding with two different grits, then applying a polishing compound. Then a sealer is applied that fills the imperfections and makes the cover optically transparent. My results were not totally perfect but much better then any of the other products I have tried. Over all I am very pleased with the product. I spent about a half-hour total on the process.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about if there is condensation on the inside? How can you get rid of that?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
How about if there is condensation on the inside? How can you get rid of that?
Take it to the dealer. There's a TSB out to fix that.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The detail shop at my local car wash, Delta Queen, charged $30 to polish both headlights. The detail shop stated I will need to polish them every year. Turned out about 95% better.

Some Crossfire owners have been able to get them replaced under warranty, my 5 star dealer refused to replace them - "because they cost $500 each". But, they would polish them for "only" $90.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Its the plastic that they are made from, all plastic degrades over time in sunlight. Some cars use cheaper plastic and they suffer the worst. If they had the film applied over them would that help at all?
My Xfire spends most of the time in the garage but it still gets the hazing, not much as I can rub it off with my finger. Sitting in the sun in Arizona must be a ***** (sorry, she dog)

Edit, I used the b#tch word and it was edited, is that a swear word? What can I call my dog, a she dog?

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-23-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sjcrossfire
The detail shop at my local car wash, Delta Queen, charged $30 to polish both headlights. The detail shop stated I will need to polish them every year. Turned out about 95% better.

Some Crossfire owners have been able to get them replaced under warranty, my 5 star dealer refused to replace them - "because they cost $500 each". But, they would polish them for "only" $90.
If you are under warranty, I would suggest finding a different dealer. A warranty is a warranty. If you hatched your engine, would you get the same response?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 AM

Just had dealer polish mine and they look new.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I missed my calling, I should be in the headlight polishing business. 90 bucks????? Here are two fixes for you. Both utilize Meguiars products. Meguiars makes a kit of which the key component is Plastx. The kit from what I have read on these forums works very well. The other fix is simply buy a bottle Plastx, its $7.99. I have found of all the plastic polish/cleaners it works the best. You can either do this by hand or even better buy yourself a Porter Cable buffer (then you can buff your car too!). You can find them on line for 100 bucks. A PC buffer, an orange cutting pad and the Plastx will have the job done in 5 minutes. Your headlight lenses will sparkle. I also wax them and everytime I wash I hit them with the detail spray. You will find that the haze and etching do return, just repeat the procedure and you will be fine. $90 bucks for 5 minutes work? Sounds typical of a dealer.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Its the plastic that they are made from, all plastic degrades over time in sunlight. Some cars use cheaper plastic and they suffer the worst. If they had the film applied over them would that help at all?
My Xfire spends most of the time in the garage but it still gets the hazing, not much as I can rub it off with my finger. Sitting in the sun in Arizona must be a ***** (sorry, she dog)

Edit, I used the b#tch word and it was edited, is that a swear word? What can I call my dog, a she dog?
I put plastic film over my headlights to protect them from rocks and I could no longer see the hazing. I believe the adhesive on the plastic film "filled" in the haze so it is no longer visible.

I have also used the Crystal View product on my 10 year old Jeep and it worked great. It took a while to do but they almost look new. I now try to park with my headlights facing North so they aren't facing the sun all day. Here is a link to the Crystal View product I purchased at Walmart for $20. http://www.myheadlight.com/