Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

My driver seat is too narrow for my hips...

Old 04-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My driver seat is too narrow for my hips...Problem solved

Originally Posted by popeye
Found a solution to my right hip ache from the driver seat bolster. I already had half the solution in the trunk from riding a BMW motorcycle cross counrty. So my fix was cheap. The sheepskin I got from Alaska Leather and it is perfect for this application. It is a 24x24 inch backed square piece of sheepskin. Anyway.....

I went to WalMart and bought a package of 4 pieces of foam for making cushions. They come in sets of 4 and are 16x16x1 inches. I took two of them and offset them by the width of the seat. That means when they are on top of each other I slide both to the left side, and then take the top piece and slide it to the right until it is even with the right side of the seat. Marked and then....

Took some spray tack glue that I had for doing upholstery and stuck the two pieces of foam together. Then I took a marker and trimmed the back corners of the foam so they followed the curve of the back bolsters and trimmed them off. Fits perfect.

Then I just laid the sheepskin on top and voila no more pressure on my right hip. Nothing slides around getting in and out of the car so no need to afix it to anything, just lay it in there. Very soft and comfy, and the sheepskin keeps the foam rubber from getting too hot on my backside. Problem is gone for me....

Will keep the foam in my closet until I go on a trip. The sheepskin is always in the trunk....Popeye
That's great! A simple and economical solution to an aggravating problem...

Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Default Re: My driver seat is too narrow for my hips...

Originally Posted by D-Vise
Wow!! seems to be a simple solution to a problem much easier than we imagined!
Thanks to your tenacity you could give me the assurance to solve the problem
I'll try same solution or at least same "concept".
As soon as I'll be back home I'll fix this problem.
Talk to you soon! Bye Aldo.
Here is the URL for Alaska Leather. They are great folks and have lots of ways to sell you a nice blck sheep skin if you decide. But I expect in Italy leather and sheepskin is not a problem. <Alaska Leather> Home of the Sheepskin Buttpad - Motorcycle Seat Covers - Alaska Leather Home Page
It is surprising to me how comfortable it is. Makes me want to do a road trip just for the R&D data. The offset of the two pieces is important, as if you leave the same thickness and 16" of width you will not feel stable. Plus the extended single layer on both sides tends to fill the bolster in without exerting any pressure on your hip...
Take care Dave

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 PM

I bought a 2006 Base Model Roadster with cloth seats and had the same problem. I bought a pair of leather seats from a wrecked Limited model on E-bay. I find that the leather seats are more confortable and does not hurt the side of my legs and hips.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by popeye
Here is the URL for Alaska Leather. They are great folks and have lots of ways to sell you a nice blck sheep skin if you decide. But I expect in Italy leather and sheepskin is not a problem. <Alaska Leather> Home of the Sheepskin Buttpad - Motorcycle Seat Covers - Alaska Leather Home Page
It is surprising to me how comfortable it is. Makes me want to do a road trip just for the R&D data. The offset of the two pieces is important, as if you leave the same thickness and 16" of width you will not feel stable. Plus the extended single layer on both sides tends to fill the bolster in without exerting any pressure on your hip...
Take care Dave
Hi Dave
I'm back home now so I visited few Car shops here around to catch something which can work as you suggested.
At present I'm testing a very interesting stuff which work quite well ( ). It is basically an auto-inflatable Cushion which once sit on it, can be shaped as your preference through a valve.
It work quite good, you can decide to restore the original shape to reconfigure simply by opening the valve.
Accessories for cars, car tuning, spare parts, bike and moto accessories
I will tell you as soon as I'll test better on a long trip.
Take care friend! Aldo

Old 05-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by D-Vise
Hi Dave
I'm back home now so I visited few Car shops here around to catch something which can work as you suggested.
At present I'm testing a very interesting stuff which work quite well ( ). It is basically an auto-inflatable Cushion which once sit on it, can be shaped as your preference through a valve.
It work quite good, you can decide to restore the original shape to reconfigure simply by opening the valve.
Accessories for cars, car tuning, spare parts, bike and moto accessories
I will tell you as soon as I'll test better on a long trip.
Take care friend! Aldo
OK Aldo, be interested in the results... Dave

Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM

Where is that cushion available?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same issue since purchasing. I purchased a gel seat cushion and the issue went away. It's protecting the seat as well.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular

Wow, thought it was me!

I travel alot to and from Boise to Seattle and Eugene. That is a 9 hour drive. I have noticed that the "right" side of my hip would cramp and starting to nag me. I did 2 things to solve this:

1) I started to stop frequently at rest stops just to walk around and get the hip back to stop nagging me. This is also good if you want to talk to strangers about the car and show off a bit. (This is always a favorite with me.)

2) When driving between stops I also select the "cruise" control and lift my leg up towards my body like sitting or lying in bed so the kness are up. This of course is done on the freeway when you have those long straight roads and no scenery. (just good tunes)

This really helped me and is no real answer of why this happens. I just find it amazing in all I read the its just the right side and not the left. When traveling to Eugene there is alot more winding roads, and I do not notice the nagging feeling coming on? Maybe the engineers of Mersades built it this way to put more cush in the gravitation of the curves of a road to lean to the right?

I have to say I don't feel alot of this untill about 6 or 7 hours into a long ride. With the 2 tricks above it does seem to help me alot. Any other tricks will be appreaciated. In short rides we do not notice the concern at all.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pdjmwj
I have had the same issue since purchasing. I purchased a gel seat cushion and the issue went away. It's protecting the seat as well.
May I ask where did you purchase your Gel seat?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjwinston
Wow, thought it was me!

I travel alot to and from Boise to Seattle and Eugene. That is a 9 hour drive. I have noticed that the "right" side of my hip would cramp and starting to nag me.
I used to get the same thing and called it "Crossfire Butt". However, either my seat has adjusted to me or my rear end has adjusted to the seat as I no longer have the cramping issues.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:33 AM

I solved this problem for myself by taking a gel pad that I had made for my motorcycle seat, putting it in the crossfire and sitting on it. It raised my butt about an inch, just enough to get the weight off the right bolster.

I've been doing this for about a month and don't seem to have anymore problems. The gel pads, from a local upholstery shop here in Central Oregon, run about $80.

Doug