Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

battery drain

Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question battery drain

Purchased a 2007 roadster in May, went away for 2 weeks, when i came home car was stone dead. Took awhile to jump it and finally started. two days later dead again. Replaced battery and checked for battery drain with car off, my reading was .0170 milliamps. I was told it should not be more than .0050. Anyone have similar problem or some advice?

Absolutely love the car but I am worried if this is an ongoing thing.

Many thanks

Joe Lonardo

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: battery drain

Originally Posted by joe lonardo
.0170 milliamps.
I think you mean .170 amp which is 170 milliamps. And yes, anything over maybe 50 milliamps (.050 amp) is suspect.

Can't say I've heard anyone else having a problem with battery drain... but you can insert a meter and start pulling fuses until you find it. Beware I've seen alternators get leaky (actually the DIODES in the Alternator are usually the problem) so try pulling the cables off the alternator to check that.

A drain of even .070 amp (70 milliamps) may not be all that bad. Modern cars with all their electronics often experience drains of 25 to 70 milliamps, we run into this all the time. (I work in a Motorola shop and we maintain the equipment in police cars.)

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks very much Pizza guy.

I actually did pull the fuses and found that it dropped to .070 when i took out the 10 amp fuses for the dome lights, horn, and door lock. How long should I wait to make sure that all systems "go to sleep" before testing again? I tested by using multi meter with negative cable off and and putting meter in between cable and battery post

Joe Lonardo

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM

I actually did pull the fuses and found that it dropped to .070 when i took out the 10 amp fuses for the dome lights, horn, and door lock. How long should I wait to make sure that all systems "go to sleep" before testing again? I tested by using multi meter with negative cable off and and putting meter in between cable and battery post

Joe Lonardo
Joe,
You might have already done this but you can type in, "battery drain" in the search engine and read some threads there on this subject. Seems like some people attributed their battery problems to trunk light....

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Joe Lonardo
I believe most systems are in their "powered down" state after just a few seconds. That's what I have observed at work, anyway, with most cars.

I found that on my Roadster, the trunk light stays on unless the trunk lid is FULLY closed.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars stay on longer than that, because you can still use the radio, and the fan rest button function for about 20 minutes or so before the system shuts down completely, its called retained accessory power, as long as you do not open a door, and with the key off.