Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Electronic Speed Control

Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Speed Control

I recently left my trunk ajar and ran down the battery. I charged it and took a trip. The cruise control works normally at speeds below about 65 but at 70 or higher it will not engage or will only stay engaged for a few seconds. Any ideas?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Electronic Speed Control

I'm always amazed at the new problems we can discover. What happens if you set cruise at ~60 and then use the cruise lever to accelerate to over 70...will it hold the speed then?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM

It will accelerate to close to 70 and kick off. I am unable to reengage until I slow down.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need much more info please.

With what we know, I would think, based on those speeds that it has something to do with the spoiler, cruise control, ESP and everything else that is all tied together but w/o more info, it is hard to tell.

Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary with your spoiler lately? Any blinking of the lights or trouble with operation?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

I have not noticed any problems with the spoiler. When I had the original dead battery and I jumped the car off with another battery the spoiler did go almost all of the way up. I pushed the button and stowed it and it seems to work normally. I did have that same thought with the cruise problem because of the proximity of the problem to the spoiler deploy speed.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM

I disconnected the battery and left it cisconnected for a frw minutes and the systems all worked normally. It is now about a year since my first post and I replaced the battery the other day and now have the problem again. The battery disconnect trick did not work this time. Any new ideas?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Slee,

I went through this about two months ago, and two or three others were having the same symptoms at the same time. If you search you'll find similar threads over the past two or three years. The striking similarity is that I found NO resolution in any of the threads. They basically just dried up.

Same here. It may be encouraging, or discouraging. Mine was coincidental with installation of new rear tires, slightly larger than OEM. Several run this size, and a few forum regulars told me it would not impact the speed control.

Mine did the same thing you describe - attempt to set, and then release. Over about a month, the speed at which it would hold slowly increased. For the past month or so, my speed control has worked perfectly, with no failure at any speed. I haven't tried anything outside a fairly normal range for highway driving.

I can find that all four wheels have speed sensors, so the car can tell if there is a difference in speed that it interprets as loss of traction. It makes sense that that would disable the speed control. It also certainly makes sense to me that the car could "relearn" and accept the new readings. I can't back this up - it is just the only way I can explain the behavior of my car.

I hope you'll have good success, and that you'll post anything you learn, or if the problem just goes without any explanation.

Good luck.

Michael

Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Michael M- I had the same experience. My cruise control did not work since I bought the car in June. I suspected that it was because the prior owner put 20" wheels on the rear. A couple days ago the cruise control started working perfectly. I didn't do anything. You are probably right. The computer needs to learn the new settings. Most of the problems seem to arise after tire or wheel sizes are changed. Nice to have a car that can fix itself.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cronus,

I'm glad yours also worked out well. I'd like to actually know if this is correct, but hopefully I'll just drive in trouble-free ignorant bliss.

Thanks for posting. I hope you can continue to enjoy your Crossfire now. So far, my troubles have been minor, and I'm still grinning.

Slee,

Have you made any progress with yours yet?

Michael
05 Limited Roadster, black 6spd