Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

latest road test...car connection

Old 04-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default latest road test...car connection

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster
Chrysler capitalizes on roadster rage with seductive, powerful Crossfire convertible.
by Marc K. Stengel (2004-04-02)

One year ago, enthusiasts learned about Chrysler's first-ever bid to field a sports car, the Chrysler Crossfire. The car was the love child of the recently merged Chrysler and Daimler (a.k.a., Mercedes-Benz) corporations, and it was a beautiful baby. Swaddled in slinky, Art Deco sheetmetal, this fastback two-door coupe sported Mercedes' 3.2-liter single-overhead-cam V-6. If you bother to check, you'll find that I complimented the car; admired its under-$30,000 base price; and fretted only a little about its ability to attract finicky buyers.

One year later, the Crossfire coupe is holding its own--posting a personal-best of over 1,000 sales in February. What's more, as you read this, its baby sister is being delivered unto Chrysler showrooms throughout the U.S. The Chrysler Crossfire roadster confirms the company's determination to offer a two-seater convertible that's comparable to European and Japanese drop-tops enjoying better name recognition. Despite the irony of the Crossfire roadster's April 1 debut, Chrysler is not fooling around.

It can't afford to. This "premium" roadster category is stacked with rivals like the Porsche Boxster, Audi TT, Nissan 350Z and BMW Z4. As with its delicious-looking coupe, Chrysler's severest challenge is to induce potential buyers of $40,000 playthings to give its upstart roadster the time of day. After all, the Crossfire may have "speed strakes" embossed into the hood, but as a rank newcomer into a snooty club of elite ragtops, it hasn't yet earned its stripes.

Priced right, equipped right

Judging by some sporty driving through Southern California foothills followed by a little posh cruising along the Laguna Beach seaside, I suspect the 2005 Crossfire roadster will earn field promotions quickly. It has three things in particular going for it. It's priced right; it turns heads; and driving it is fun.

Starting at $34,960, Crossfire arguably "out-values" similarly priced rivals like the TT, 350Z and Z4. Even in upscale "Limited" trim--bearing prices of $38,920 for the six-speed manual transmission and $39,995 for the five-speed auto with AutoStick-the Crossfire undercuts a base-model Boxster by at least $3,000. The Crossfire's standard equipment list boasts dual-zone automatic climate control, four-wheel independent suspension with anti-lock disc brakes, computerized stability control and radio/in-dash CD audio. Its top furls and unfurls via pushbutton in about 20 seconds, and it hides under a stylish hard cover.

The roadster retains much of the signature styling of its coupe counterpart. The aforementioned strakes and a boattail crease in the trunk lid are elegant and subtle. The massive 19-inch rear wheels, complemented by 18-inch fronts, are shamelessly brash by comparison. This tiny car exudes a large, iconoclastic personality. In the bumper-to-bumper coagulations that define Orange County traffic, the Crossfire roadster is a rolling conversation starter. At least once per block, my co-driver and I held impromptu Q&As with California's car-loving commuters, answering "What is that!" and "When's it available?" types of queries from the sanctity of our open-air pulpit.

Cut and thrust

Once unleashed into the Southern California hinterlands, the Crossfire showcased its powertrain and suspension tuning to good effect. Plucked from Mercedes' E-Class sedans and M-Class SUVs, the 215-horsepower V-6 seems to exult in its new "cut-weight" environment. That is, the Crossfire's curb weight of just under 3200 lb is hundreds of pounds lighter than those of the Mercedes sedan and sport-ute. As a result, the Crossfire's output--particularly its 229 lb-ft of torque--is urgently responsive to driver demands. With the six-speed manual, the Crossfire laces through switchbacks, favoring third dear in particular.

Only slightly nose-heavy, handling is predictable and unthreatening. When the rear wheels step out a bit during energetic cornering, it is elating. When they step out too far, computerized "ESP" stability control tucks them back where they belong with the driver rarely minding--or even noticing. On an autocross course, the Crossfire roadster leapt and squealed through corners like a purpose-built slalom racer. Its coupe sibling felt a bit more solid owing to its hardtop rigidity; but the roadster was so admirably stiff that there was no sense of dreaded "cowl-shake" in the Crossfire during an entire day of backroad, freeway and autocross driving.

Perfection--can it be that easy? No, of course. For all its external elegance, the Crossfire's interior incorporates some quirks. It's a tiny two-seater and comfy enough for a five-and-a-half-footer. Anyone inhaling the six-footer's atmosphere will likely feel cramped, particularly as the steering wheel telescopes only and doesn't tilt at all.

I'm no fan of the silver-paint-plastic design scheme, moreover; and I can only hope that the roadster's console panel won't pop out of place as a similar one did in a recent road test with the coupe. Mercedes' damnable cruise-control stalk continues to drive me batty with its impersonation of a turn signal. And the prototype windblocker between the front seats reflects with Lasik glare that Chrysler says will be fixed by the time you read this.

Perhaps my chief complaint concerns the trunk. At 6.5 cubic feet maximum capacity, it's large for a two-seat roadster--even though one 300-lb gawker over my shoulder gassed on about "no room for two golf bags." ("What were they thinking?" he lamented, as I contemplated golf's stunning abdication before fitness in this loutish instance.) Even at 3.6 cu ft in "collapsed mode" to accommodate the folded roof, the Crossfire's cargo appetite is tolerable. What irks me, though, is the necessity of deploying manually a special partition in the trunk before being allowed to lower the roof. This prevents smashed groceries--or worse--I admit; but it's a little too do-it-yourselfer for my taste in a car that's aiming to impress.

I happily concede, on the other hand, that Chrysler now fields a legitimate luxury roadster at an attractive price. It is America's sole status car in this competitive class, and I predict it will tempt many aficionados to caste aside their import pretensions and decide instead to get caught in a Crossfire.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster
Base Price: $34,960
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6, 215 hp/229 lb-ft
Transmission: Six-speed manual or five-speed automatic, rear-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 159.8 x 69.5 x 51.8 in
Wheelbase: 94.5 in
Curb weight: 3140-3174 lb
EPA City/Hwy: 17/25 mpg (auto); 21/28 mpg (manual)
Safety equipment: Front airbags, anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control, traction control
Major standard equipment: A/C, power windows, dual-zone climate control, AM/FM/CD player, power-operated top
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles basic, seven years/70,000 miles powertrain

Old 04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: latest road test...car connection

Originally Posted by andrew
On an autocross course, the Crossfire roadster leapt and squealed through corners like a purpose-built slalom racer. Its coupe sibling felt a bit more solid owing to its hardtop rigidity; but the roadster was so admirably stiff that there was no sense of dreaded "cowl-shake" in the Crossfire during an entire day of backroad, freeway and autocross driving.
When I first started autocrossing mine there was a guy here that basically told me that the Crossfire wouldn't be any good at autocrossing. He sited several things that he said would hold it back.... visability from the driver's seat was one and no rack and pinion steering were the most prevelant problems, in his eyes....... I've never had any problems and have posted several times about how much fun and how good this car is on an autocross track.

Thanks for posting this andrew.... You made my month and it's only the 2nd day!!! :lol: :lol:

It's nice to see a review that has found in this car what I have found.

Old 04-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I think I remember some clown saying that! :roll: :lol:

Old 04-03-2004, 01:57 PM

Here are some more articles.

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...0-d7ab1319798e

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Mar26.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Mar26.html

LAGUNA BEACH, CA - Chrysler Group could not have chosen a more perfect venue to introduce the f05 Crossfire Roadster than this ultra-upscale Southern California community.

The roadsterfs rich design and powerful performance command respect driving along the Pacific Coastal Highway, where oceanfront homes in this former artist colony sell for eight figures and Ferraris and Lotuses commonly are seen cruising the streets.

Speed lines on new f05 Crossfire Roadster distinguish the car from other Chrysler models.
Both the Crossfire coupe and roadster reflect their own impressive pedigree, sharing 39% of their parts with the Mercedes SLK roadster, including powertrains, suspensions, electrical systems, steering wheel and climate control systems.

Indeed, they likely represent one of a kind, as the DaimlerChrysler AG board, in an effort to protect Mercedes brand identity, has decreed that this degree of sharing with Mercedes wonft be duplicated in future Chrysler products. (See related story: Crossfire Sets Chrysler on New Course)

The new Crossfire Roadster, ranging in price from $35,000 to just under $50,000 for an upcoming SRT-6 version, helps boost Chrysler Groupfs convertible lineup that includes the segment-leading Sebring soft top, new f05 PT Cruiser Convertible and the f04-1/2 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. (See related story: Chrysler Adds Convertible Trio)

With the goal of creating an aspirational vehicle, Chrysler made several strategic decisions - Crossfire was to be a limited-run, niche vehicle and the roadster would be designed alongside the coupe.

Both models are being built in Osnabrueck, Germany, by coachbuilder Wilhelm Karmann GmbH, which will turn out only 20,000 Crossfires annually for worldwide distribution. Some 3,000 units will be SRT-6 models.

This is a critical year for the auto maker, with nine new products rolling out. Although the Crossfire coupe and roadster make up a tiny niche in Chryslerfs product lineup, every sale counts. But the major benefit from Crossfire likely is its halo effect, attracting new and more affluent customers into the brand.

The majority of Crossfires will be sold in the U.S.; the coupe already is available and the roadster goes on sale in May. The companyfs estimated take rate for the roadster is 60%, with 25% manual transmissions. An even split is expected on the roadster between men and women buyers, with a ratio of 55% men to 45% women on the coupe.

Some 17% of Crossfires will be distributed in Europe, followed by Africa, the Middle East, and the right-hand-drive markets of the U.K., Japan, South Africa and Australia.

The goal, says Pablo Cuevas, Crossfire brand manager, is to create a sense of exclusivity. However, Dietmar Gure, chief of the roadsterfs core engineering team, tells Wardfs Karmann is flexible on increasing Crossfire production numbers.

gThey will respond to our needs, but there are limits,h Gure says. gWe donft want to see (the numbers) go too high. We donft want to see too many on the road. But if demand is high, thatfs a nice problem to have.h

To ensure demand exceeds supply, thus also eliminating the need for incentives, Chrysler has said the Crossfire will see a limited run of five years, although that could be extended depending on how well the car is holding up in the market. (See related story: Chrysler Crossfire Designed for Limited Run)

No chop-top here, another key strategy was to design the roadster alongside the coupe to preserve design integrity. Together, the two continue gthe new face of Chrysler,h says Scott Wilkins, senior program manager for the Crossfire. That includes the keyhole-shaped headlights, broad wing brand mark and wide lower grille.

Chrysler engineers wanted flow lines of convertible to be compatible with coupe.
Where the Crossfire siblings begin to distinguish themselves is with the speed lines on the hood that Wilkins calls reminiscent of art deco. And while the idea of the coupe was to mirror the Crossfire concept unveiled at the 2001 Detroit International Auto Show, designers wanted the roadster to have its own characteristics.

gWe wanted to capture the flavor (of the coupe),h Wilkins says, retaining the center spine that runs the length of the car, front fascia, taillamps and rear-quarter panel with flying buttress. The two models also share the same wheel sizes: 19-in. alloys at the rear and 18-in. upfront, giving the cars an aggressive stance.

The key goal was to make sure the roadster looked as good with the top up as it did down. Another initial concern was whether the coupefs muscular boattail rear-end would work with a retractable hardtop. A new decklid was designed with a retractable spoiler, also found on the coupe, that engages at 60 mph (97 km/h). The decklid includes an integrated center high-mounted brake lamp into its design, as well.

The aluminum-frame soft fabric top was given a rounded fastback look, carrying the seamlines into the rear design. gThe car looks like itfs ready to pounce,h Wilkins says, noting the electro-hydraulic roof system can be fully retracted in 22 seconds, with the soft top folding in and the hard tonneau cover closing over.

A beep tells the driver when the transaction is completed. The roadster trunk offers 6.5 cu.-ft. (184 L) of space, compared with 7.5 cu.-ft. (212 L) for the coupe.

Race-inspired headrest bulges are reminiscent of 1950s and 1960s cockpits and support individual satin silver-painted roll bars. The 2-tone twin cockpit interior has leather sport seats, with the central spine shape appearing to continue from the instrument panel through the windshield and onto the hood. Most of the interior switches and instrumentation are taken almost directly from the Mercedes SLK.

As with the coupe, the roadsterfs only available engine is a Mercedes-sourced 3.2L SOHC 18-valve V-6, offered with a 5-speed automatic that includes Chryslerfs Autostick manual control operation, or a 6-speed manual. In the roadster, the engine makes 215 hp at 5,700 rpm and is capable of achieving 21 mpg (11L/100 km) city, 28 mpg (8L/100 km) highway.

Both the roadster and coupe feature a 4-wheel coil-spring independent suspension using a 5-link setup in the rear. Standard equipment includes electronic stability control, all-speed traction control, tire-pressure monitoring system, side airbags, power-heated seats, dual-zone climate control, power windows and a tilt/telescope steering column.

A 240-watt Infinity sound system also is standard, while a $1,200 navigation system radio is a new option for 2005. All-season Michelin tires, at $185, also are an option to the Continental sport tires, which are good for up to 168 mph (270 km/h).

Chrysler says the roadster has been tested at 150 mph (241 km/h) and that the car offers exceptional torsional stiffness (29.2 Hz) and more torque - 229 lb.-ft. (310 Nm) - than the Porche Boxster (192 lb.-ft. [260 Nm]), Audi TT Quatrro (207 lb.-ft. [281 Nm]) and BMW Z4 (214 lb.-ft. [290 Nm]).

The SRT-6 roadster will be packed with even more power, its 3.2L making 330 hp. The powerplant reportedly is the same found in AMG-badged Mercedes vehicles, only with 19 fewer hp, and only is offered with a 5-speed automatic.

The Crossfire Roadster Limited with a 5-speed automatic was supremely confident during a media drive here along twisting mountain roads. Steering was tight, responsive and centered, without oversteer. The antilock brake system kicked in during a sudden stop on a gravel turnout without fuss, allowing the electronic stability control to do its job.

Chrysler executives say the EPS system, called Mark 25, is more driver friendly. gIt hangs back more, and when it comes in, it is safer,h says one.

On the open highway, the automatic shifted smoothly, with an impressive engine growl during acceleration. An optional Mopar wind blocker filtered enough noise out of the cockpit to allow conversation with the top down.

Chief engineer Gures says the best thing is to drive the Crossfire gas if you stole it.h But even at a standstill, the Crossfire Roadster is beautiful to look at. gDrop-dead gorgeous really does apply,h says brand manager Cuevas. gSort of art deco meets techno with wild but stunning looks.h

The big question now is whether well-heeled car buyers will be enamored enough to shell out premium money for a Chrysler product. Perhaps the Mercedes connection will persuade them to take a chance. The auto maker is convinced the Crossfire twins will attract luxury import buyers in the 35- to 50-year-old range, with annual incomes of more than $150,000.

Pricing of the all-new f05 Crossfire Roadster will start at $34,960. The Roadster Limited with manual transmission is $38,920 and the automatic transmission costs $1,075. The SRT-6 roadster is $49,995. All prices include an $875 destination charge.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Forum Regular

Are there any pictures of the Roadster with the hardtop cover on?

Old 04-03-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by James Sonne
Are there any pictures of the Roadster with the hardtop cover on?
No hard top for the roadster. It's a rag top.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular

One of the roadtest articles above (the first one, I believe) mentioned that it had a stylish snap on hardtop cover.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:00 PM

Mmmmm.... I haven't seen it in any of the literature that DC has out.

But, if or when it gets either a removable hard top or a folding hard top I will be interested in the roadster.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular

Removable.
I highly doubt we'll get a folding hardtop convertible, I don't think the Crossfire has the trunkspace or the bends for a hardtop convertible like the SLK's boxy roof.

[edit] Oh, no, wait. I think they're talking about the .. what's it's name. The hard lid that the soft top retracts under when the top is down.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think their talking about the hard top tonneau cover.The cover that closes over the folded soft top.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah... I thought that was the word, tonneau, but I looked it up and it seems to refer to cars with jump seats that have a hard cover that hides those jump seats, so I was affraid of using it. :-/

Old 04-03-2004, 08:13 PM

I was watching Motorweek this morning. Next week they are going to showcase new "hot" sports cars. I saw a yellow Crossfire Roadster!!!!!! Make sure you watch it next week!

Old 04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular

It's in the Gallery in unofficial pictures.