Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Originally Posted by itsky
How much was the fee if you don't mind me asking? Who did you talk to at Chrysler? I'm getting the runaround from Chrysler currently. I have told them that my roadster resided in Texas for 6+ years and that there is a temporary glue job, but they won't budge until it flops out again.
I was required to bring the car into the dealership for pictures and proof of mileage (36,000) and they checked the cars registration, an offer came in the next day. I was working with the Customer Assistance Center and spoke with a couple of people.

Chrysler negotiated with the dealership and I decided to except their second offer of $350. The dealership had the top installed by a local shop that specializes in that type of work. The rear glass blew out a couple of years ago and I was turned down the first time.

I wish you all the success.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Exclamation Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Here now is the latest answer and manipulations by Chrysler in regard to having defective tops replaced at their expense on 2005 Crossfire Roadsters.

There has been a Manufacturer Warranty Extension that covers this replacement which supersedes the consumer warranty offered by Chrysler. It is targeted to Crossfires IF AND ONLY IF ALL THE FOLLOWING ARE TRUE.

1. Your Crossfire is a 2005.
2. You are the original owner. (One Chrysler Consumer Care rep told me this is also true regardless of owner history.)
3. You have less than 100,000 miles AND it is less than 10 ten years old.
4. Your car was built for use in the southern US states. This means that your specific car (VIN) was built to specs for those states.

Hold on. It gets good from here.

If you believe that you qualify (or to find out their list of approved southern states) or you want to find out whats going on for yourself, CALL CHRYSLER CUSTOMER CARE AT 1-800-992-1997. They can tell you if you qualify from the last eight digits of your VIN. Expect "No" for an answer.

Having said that -- they STILL SCREWED ME. Apparently my car was built for VA, hence to VA specs, and moved to NC by the dealership prior to sale. So a new car bought in NC was, in fact, a VA car according to Chrysler. And VA cars did not pose the same problems as the southern spec cars, so they did not need the better adhesive and mechanisms that NC cars warranted to have their rag-top actually move when the button is pressed or be subjected to forced air ventilation through the window hole in the back.

If my VA car, bought in NC was only a real NC car, then it would be considered a defective, car, not my bad luck.

CHRYSLER SUCKER PUNCHED ME. I WAS SUPPOSED TO ASK, WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR, WHICH STATE IT WAS DESIGNED FOR SO THAT IF, YEARS LATER, THERE WAS A MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY ISSUED, I WOULD KNOW IF THE CAR I BOUGHT WAS DESIGNED FOR THE WEATHER WHERE I BOUGHT IT... I FORGOT TO ASK!

Service has not been much better. When I went to the Chrysler dealer in my area he refused to work on the car, saying it was not his problem, he had no software nor any certified mechanics for Crossfires. He mumbled something about a battle between Chrysler and Mercedes over the engineering fiasco called the Crossfire and refused to recognize the emblem on the car as being a Chrysler product. He suggested I go to Mercedes and try to get it fixed there.

Makes you want to buy a Chrysler again, doesn't it?

I am not a Chrysler employee so I can only communicate what I learned from the Chrysler Customer Care rep over the last two days.

So bottom line if your car was designed for the South you get the prize, regardless of where you bought it. Specs designed for Alabama but you live in Arkansas, you win!! If, however, you bought an Arkansas car in Georgia, you lose!! Best call them to see if you won this lottery.

Helloo??

Any leads on new ways to fix the ragtop problem without investing $2500 into a $10,000 car???

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So they are going to stand behind the car was pre-designated a delivery destination at the time the tops were installed at the factory..

SURE IT WAS!..

I guess maybe John.. working for Nissan.. could verify they don't build them till a dealer says send me 10..

Old 05-22-2013, 03:58 PM

I wonder what percentage of current owners are the original owners???? less than 2% ??????

This needs a class action suit.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would agree.. I got no response on a 30k roadster on ebay from the "dealership" selling the car. Sweet looking ride, but not if I have to turn around and put 12-15 hundred on top the sales price a month later..

Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 PM

Hey Frank,

Youre a good guy and a fountain of information. I had the pleasure of speaking with Customer Assist Supervisor last week. Same old, same old. He was rude and would not even acknowledge common facts about, such as the car was built in Germany, or they replaced a top in Chicago, or for that matter, the NHTSA service advisory. He basically said grab your ankles and hold your breath. If you ask to speak to an executive or a supervisor, they turn you down. They tape all of your conversations and if you want a transcript, they turn you down.

It is so unfortunate that such a nice car has been given a black eye by a third rate car company. With all of the conversations I have had with Chrysler, it appears that they are headed towards bankruptcy. When your first line of defense is a customer service rep that acts like a firewall and keep you from the people who can actual make a decision of this nature. Perhaps they are waiting for a class action to be filed and then they will file bankruptcy. I am working with an attorney that is exploring that angle.

Car manufacturers should stand behind their product. When they behave like Chrysler, they should stand in front of it. They are obviously not interested or concerned about repeat sales.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 PM

I think that Chrysler is draining the company before filing for bankruptcy. They are waiting for a class action to be filed regarding the tops and then they will file. When California checks in with a huge amount of cars with problems, that, I think will be the death knell. They should never have been allowed to survive. Their behavior regarding the glass is egregious and a court will probably stick them with punitive damages in a large amount. If someone gets seriously injured or dies, god save Chrysler because that will be the only one who can. Their customer assist is a farce. It should be called customer resist. It's too bad such a good car has to wear the badges of such a poor, third rate car company.. A real black eye delivered by Chrysler to their own customers and product

Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian Michaels
I think that Chrysler is draining the company before filing for bankruptcy. They are waiting for a class action to be filed regarding the tops and then they will file. When California checks in with a huge amount of cars with problems, that, I think will be the death knell. They should never have been allowed to survive. Their behavior regarding the glass is egregious and a court will probably stick them with punitive damages in a large amount. If someone gets seriously injured or dies, god save Chrysler because that will be the only one who can. Their customer assist is a farce. It should be called customer resist. It's too bad such a good car has to wear the badges of such a poor, third rate car company.. A real black eye delivered by Chrysler to their own customers and product
The best advice I can give you is to sell the car now. If the rear windows on a few thousand cars is going to seriously damage Chrysler then the whole US is in serious trouble. Get a grip folks this is not the end of the world. This Chrysler is not the old Chrysler, new company, new rules.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 AM

Gee, a Chrysler mole in our midst. Agreed the new Chrysler is not the same as the old Chrysler. It is many times worse. You feel the lack of moral from the dealer level on up. It's just a matter of time. Tell your bosses, whoever is posing as an automobile enthusiast

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 AM

We need an attorney to represent all vert owners with the original tops. That's the only way to get their attention.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Just got an e mail from the jerk who has turned me down a half dozen times. Apparently I have won them over with my charm. They have asked me to take the car to the dealer around the corner to get an analysis and then they will decide what they will kick in. If it isn't payment in full, they are going to get more of the same from me. ANYONE WHO WANTS ME TO WRITE TO CHRYSLER ON THEIR BEHALF, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME. I was a lawyer in my last life, never took the bar and never practiced but learned a lot of the important stuff. Also have a class action attorney looking into it.. Make that 2.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Or I can send you my e mails and you can beat them up yourself. It shocked the hell out of me when I got their e mail

Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 PM

one last thing. I asked the girl I was talking to not to be recorded.. She refused, so when I e mailed them I told them I recorded the conversation so there would be no discrepencies when she testified in front of a jury

Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM

Ian,

I bought my cf used and the window was repaired, but keep me in mind for any class action in the future.

Let us know what happens after the dealer inspets the top for the warranty rep.

Thanks,

Old 05-29-2013, 04:25 PM

I'm having the same issue with my 05. I was about to glue mine back when I saw the posting on here regarding Chrysler replacing the top. I contacted a local dealer here in Atlanta today who looked up the information and said that the warranty was good for up to 78,000 miles. I have an appointment at the end of this week and will let you know how things go.

Thanks for keeping us informed!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wanting to be in the class action, if it comes to that...

Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Forum Regular

Seems to be a lot of discrepancies of whose convertible tops get fixed. I read that 05, 06, and even 07 were replaced by Chrysler. It shouldn't matter what year or where the car came from, it is very dangerous to have a window fall out while driving. I have an 07 roadster and notice a little separation. I would like to be included in a class action suit if it comes about..

Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in as well! Mine is coming apart even though I keep her covered all of her life. I've been turned down twice already..

Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM

I just left the Chrysler dealership and after inspecting the glass they said I qualify for the replacement top which should be in by Wednesday. I'm told they have 900 tops in-stock in a warehouse in Milwaukee. I'll update this post again mid-week to see if they are good on their word.

Quick Reply: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!