Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

New to the gang...

Old 02-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to the gang...

Been looking at that thread...not sure mine qualifies...I need to find out. On another note, any idea what a second key costs? I've only got one...

Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 AM

What's the best way to clean the engine? I want to get the residual oil/dirt off of it. Is Super Clean acceptable?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I live in NW Houston. I'm no expert ,but have a 2006 Roadster. Would be glad to take a look and see if we can figure out what is going on with your top and check the oil leak problem. If interested, send me a PM. Always glad to help out. I live up around hiway 290 and Hiway 6. I'll be glad to help in anyway I can.
dtinker

Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dtinker
Hey, I live in NW Houston. I'm no expert ,but have a 2006 Roadster. Would be glad to take a look and see if we can figure out what is going on with your top and check the oil leak problem. If interested, send me a PM. Always glad to help out. I live up around hiway 290 and Hiway 6. I'll be glad to help in anyway I can.
dtinker
Hey, Dave,

Thanks so much for the offer...I would like to take you up on it, so I will be in touch. By the way, I might pick your brain about the mods you've done to your car...

Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 AM

There are several members close to me. They have been very helpful to me. I love the XF and love to be of help to others. I get to combine two of the things I love in this hobby. If I can ever help, let me know. I would suggest going to the page that has all the " sticky" pages and either make PDFs of you own or print them out. If you decide to print, have plenty of ink and paper handy. I think two things are the most troublesome are the" Sticky Ignition" and "leaking oil filter after an oil change" and maybe the valve cover/breather oil leaks.
The weather has been so terrible lately I have not really had my XF out much. We should be able to do lunch or something soon. I would love to see your car and have you look mine over too. Let me know!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Been looking at that thread...not sure mine qualifies...I need to find out. On another note, any idea what a second key costs? I've only got one...
They just keep forgetting to tell you the cost of a key don't they?
Try this thread.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ement-key.html
You can do the '$50 program' yourself for nothing, so do not pay that fee. The solution to do it is here somewhere, just search.
Edit
I did the search for you, here is the how to.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post146279

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-19-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Yes, there is a manual procedure, two tools are required :
1. a thin 10mm open end wrench ( or if you are lucky, the 'special' tool that should be somewhere in the car )
2. a 5mm hex wrench.

Use the hex wrench to release the rear top catch, accessable just inside the open trunk at the top.
Fold the window up, and while holding it with one hand, use the thin 10mm to release the tonneau catch which is located in the center at the front of the cover thru the tiny slit.
Now use your other hand to lift the tonneau cover all the way up, then release the rear window section. Now go to the front and fold the top down into the well. Now close the cover and once again secure it with the 10mm wrench. PIECE OF CAKE !!!!!

Just reverse the process to raise the top.
NOTE : THE TOP IS HEAVY - DON'T LET IT GET AWAY WHILE LOWERING / RAISING IT !

( If you have a friend that is an NFL linebacker, enlist his help and there will be no problem )
Tried getting the top down today, since it was sunny for once! Manually it works fine. The proper allen wrench is a 5.5mm. Here is what I ran into: Got the top down initially, then when I drove the car, I got a beep when I got above 10 mph. OK, back to the drawing board. Just for grins, I pressed the button to raise the top, and it worked! So, I pushed the button to put it back down, and it worked as well, properly latching the tonneau cover. Drove the car, no beep. By the way, if the tonneau is not latched properly, the spoiler won't work, either.

Next, getting the top back up: It wil go back up, but I get a beep from the car before it gets to the 8" mark, the point that, if you were to have the top totally down, and you turned the handle to unlock it, the distance it would go up without resistance. Seems like there is something out of whack with alignment? Possibly a busted switch? Anyone seen this or have it happen to them?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Hmmmm - looked at my allen and it is stamped '5mm' - but it works OK.

You should get one beep, but that is at the end of all the gyrations after the rear bow locks. That is the signal to manually pull the top down and latch it.
WARNING - be very careful with this step and don't let it go over-center and slam into the windshield header, the closed position switch can be damaged.

You might want to down load the "2005_Crossfire_SRT6_Service_Manual.pdf".
You can find that by opening any recent post by onehundred80 - he has a link to all things useful like that.
Index for Crossfire problems and How To's
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...tml#post585345

It appears the problem will be in the area of the "main cylinder travel sensors", but the manual states that a "P" code will be set. Do you have any P-codes, or do you have a reader for P-codes ?

Rather than spending bucks on a code reader, you might consider an UltraGuage :
UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

I have one, and love it !!!

( BTW, I know the above .pdf says SRT6, biut it applies to both for the most part )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-19-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Hmmmm - looked at my allen and it is stamped '5mm' - but it works OK.

You should get one beep, but that is at the end of all the gyrations after the rear bow locks. That is the signal to manually pull the top down and latch it.
WARNING - be very careful with this step and don't let it go over-center and slam into the windshield header, the closed position switch can be damaged.

You might want to down load the "2005_Crossfire_SRT6_Service_Manual.pdf".
You can find that by opening any recent post by onehundred80 - he has a link to all things useful like that.
Index for Crossfire problems and How To's
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...tml#post585345

It appears the problem will be in the area of the "main cylinder travel sensors", but the manual states that a "P" code will be set. Do you have any P-codes, or do you have a reader for P-codes ?

Rather than spending bucks on a code reader, you might consider an UltraGuage :
UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

I have one, and love it !!!

( BTW, I know the above .pdf says SRT6, biut it applies to both for the most part )
How would I know if I have any P-codes? I've had the car about 24 hours...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 PM

How would I know if I have any P-codes? I've had the car about 24 hours...
You would have a CEL ( Check Engine Light ) if it ain't also burned out, or run by AutoZone / Advance and they will hook up a reader ( at least most will )

But the UltraGuage is the best $70 you can spend.
You can monitor about 49 different things, my favs are the engine temp and inlet air temp.
The avg and instant MPG are not so bad either.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-19-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM

You would have a CEL ( Check Engine Light ) if it ain't also burned out, or run by AutoZone / Advance and they will hook up a reader ( at least most will )

But the UltraGuage is the best $70 you can spend.
You can monitor about 49 different things, my favs are the engine temp and inlet air temp.
The avg and instant MPG are not so bad either.
I might get the UltraGauge...the Sebring Convertible we have has a better computer than the one in the Crossfire...but I have not CEL, though...and I know it works.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the best way to clean the engine? I want to get the residual oil/dirt off of it. Is Super Clean acceptable?
For engine cleaning, I use SimpleGreen. Spray it on the engine, warm it up a bit, scrub a bit, and wash it off. There is another product that some use to clean up the oxidation on the aluminum bits, but the name of it escapes me currently. I'm sure someone will chime it.

Also, congrats on the purchase! I had a red roadster for about three years and loved it. If you are up to it, join us at Texas Motor Speedway in May for the Laps for Charity event.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...th-2012-a.html

Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 PM

Is there a timing belt or chain in this car? Should I consider changing it?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Timing chain, there is no recommended replacement interval.

Only things you might consider are :
1. air filters
2. oil & filter ( Mobil1 0-40 & fleece Mann filter )
3. steering stabilizer
4. brake pads ( and maybe rotors - depends on condition )
5. cabin air filter
( I replaced all the light bulbs when I got mine last year with 42k on it, but then, I'm kinda **** like that )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-19-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire

Welcome! The oil leaking from the oil pan issue is not typical with Crossfires. Some do have valve cover oil leak issues which are easy to repair.

As for the beeping sound when trying to put down the top, make sure the rear cargo divider is unfolded and in place. There are sensors on both sides of it and if they are not both in place correctly, it will beep and not let you put the top down.
Mine has only one divider switch - it's on the driver's side. The passenger side has only the little spring ....

Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM

Mine has only one divider switch - it's on the driver's side. The passenger side has only the little spring ....
Same here...I can get the top down manually, then it comes back up electrically...

Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 PM

1. air filters
3. steering stabilizer
5. cabin air filter
( I replaced all the light bulbs when I got mine last year with 42k on it, but then, I'm kinda **** like that )
Must resist the temptation to trick this thing out right away! I can see cross-drilled rotors with red calipers...among other things!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM

1. air filters
3. steering stabilizer
5. cabin air filter

I can see the air filter change...I know the car tells you when it's time for an oil change, but if you change it early, can the 'timer' be reset?

What's the purpose of the steering stabilizer?

Light bulbs: Seems that there may be one that is out in the instrument panel, between the speedo and the tach...should I bother replacing it, unless I'm being OCD?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM

Profile updated...and I live in Santa Fe, Texas...about a 1/2 hour south of Houston...looks like we might be picking up our car tomorrow....
I live in Santa Fe also. Got my 06 Roadster Ltd last June with 17400 miles on it. Have no issues. Where are you located? Maybe we can get together.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Yes! Got all the paperwork signed at the credit union! It's officially ours!

Now, went to the local Chrysler stealership to find out about a second key...$150 for the key, coming from Fort Worth in about 3-4 days. [B]$100[B] to program the key to the car, even though it's not an hour's work! Anybody did better than that in the Houston area? Would an MB dealer be able to do better?

Quick Reply: New to the gang...