Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Crossfire Wont start or turn over after flood

Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire Wont start or turn over after flood

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!
I have a Chrysler Crossfire 2005 Convertible. Unfortunately it was flooded closed to a lake in my house while it was not running and i really don't want to let the car go. I took it to several mechanics and it seems like they don't really want to help me diagonise the wire Harness issue. Some Charged me over $200 and still didn't tell me anything. The only thing they told me was to sell it the car that it will never Run. When you turn the key, the Dashboard light comes on, the spoiler opens but nothing happens. I am trying to figure this out myself. How many Computers are in the Chrysler Crossfire? One of the Mechanics said that he was able to Talk to two of the computers and they were throwing error codes.Which of the Computers will make the car start?PLEASE PLEASE Be my hero. I need some help here!!
Thank you So much and God Bless

Old 05-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Wont start or turn over after flood

Your problems could be many. But with the spoiler coming up, is a sign of low voltage. Battery or connection issues? Have you tried to start it with a known good charged battery or with a set of jumper cables connected to another car? Eliminate the obvious first.

James

Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 AM

Thank you So much James for your reply.
It seems like everyone i talk to about this is asking me to get rid of the car. Do you really think it will never be fixable?
The last mechanic used an outside Charging source to try and start it. The Door will make noise if the doors are open, the dashboard comes on and the spoiler opens. These are the only things the car does. At this point am thinking of taking the car by myself and try diagnosing slowly. Do you think i should start by Removing all the computers and checking if they are still good? Which of the computers is the most Essential?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cojoman
At this point am thinking of taking the car by myself and try diagnosing slowly.
That is exactly what you need to do. The places you've taken the car for help are only taking your money. Calm down and take things one step at a time (obviously the car is not going anywhere at the moment).

How deep was the car in the flood water? How long ago was it flooded? First you should put a dehumidifier in the car and get it thoroughly dried out. Then make sure the battery is fully charged (as per initial advice from James1549). Get an OBD2 trouble code reader and write down the specific trouble codes. Give us that information we can proceed to offer some assistance.

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-10-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 AM

It was in flood a while back. I traveled to Germany and decided to work on it when i got back.
The mechanic ran the code but he didn't tell me anything. I am try and run it further and i will send the codes to you. Do you happen to know the computer that helps turn the engine over? It was not all the way into water. It was mostly from the trunk. A little in the front. The engine and oil looks great. So it was not into the engine and it was running when it happened

Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

A list of controllers ( computers ) :
1. PCM ( PowerTrain Control Module - in box by battery )
2. BCM ( Body Control Module - in box by battery )
3. RCM ( Relay Control Module - in box by battery )
4. FCM ( Fan Control Module - on left front fender well )
5. TCM ( transmission Control Module - on automatics in passenger side foot well )
6. CAB ( Controller Anti Lock Brake - left front fender well )
7. SSM / CLP ( Security System Module / Central Locking Pump - under trunk padding on right side.
8. AHCM ( AC & Heating Module ( the thing with the 2 ***** and separate heating dials )
9. SKREEM ( Sentry Key Remote Entry Module, - up under the dash close to the driver's door )
10. PTCM ( Power Top Control Module - on roadsters in the right rear fender well )
11. HLSM ( Home Link Security Module ) - above the dome light.

If the flood water was high enough to get into the engine, I'm afraid you might be fighting a losing battle.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 05-11-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

It was in flood a while back. I traveled to Germany and decided to work on it when i got back.
The mechanic ran the code but he didn't tell me anything. I am try and run it further and i will send the codes to you. Do you happen to know the computer that helps turn the engine over? It was not all the way into water. It was mostly from the trunk. A little in the front. The engine and oil looks great. So it was not into the engine and it was running when it happened
It would be best if you were a little more precise in the height, as a few inches would make a big difference.
Definitely put in a good battery, clean and dry all the connectors that were in the water. Look at the pump/security module in the trunk. Look at all the fuses and check they have not blown. Little steps at first.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your problem. Flooding and electronics is very bad news.

Electrical connectors that were covered in water are more likely to corrode and create problems now and in the future. Some areas could still be holding water. I would go first to the "Security System Module / Central Locking Pump - under trunk padding on right side". Others have had problems with trunk leaks and water getting in that area. Water shorting electrical circuits will cause low voltage and problems for other areas.

The good news it sounds as if the water did not get inside in the passenger side of the floor, under the dash, or in the most important control module box next to the battery. There is a possibility of getting it going again.

It would be very worth your time to check all of the fuses. If you find any blown check the devices they protect for water.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Thanks Guys for all your contribution.
You guys are Amazing.
The water didn't get as far into the Engine(I don't think so) but it got up pretty high. I think i felt some water on the floor mart of the driver's side .
Everyone is telling me to sell but i truely love this car and cant afford to buy a new one. it has only 18k on it.
On saturday, i will be getting out all the computers to see if they are good first then i will check the fuses before getting into the wiring. Do you guys know anyone that can check/rebuild the computers for a reasonable price? Did anyone have the same problem like me before?

Thanks Guys. God bless you all!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanks Guys for all your contribution.
You guys are Amazing.
The water didn't get as far into the Engine(I don't think so) but it got up pretty high. I think i felt some water on the floor mart of the driver's side .
Everyone is telling me to sell but i truely love this car and cant afford to buy a new one. it has only 18k on it.
On saturday, i will be getting out all the computers to see if they are good first then i will check the fuses before getting into the wiring. Do you guys know anyone that can check/rebuild the computers for a reasonable price? Did anyone have the same problem like me before?

Thanks Guys. God bless you all!

Your welcome, surprisingly this thread has not had a flood of responses.

If the 'computers' did not get wet do not bother with them, they are higher up the car and should have stayed dry. Why risk damaging them?
New or a capable battery, then look at the parts that got wet and fuses etc. why waste time?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ouch that sucks.
As long as there was no water in oil or cylinders is a good sign.
Can you measure the water mark on the wall of your garage so we know how the water got? Every connection you unplug look at it good with a flashlight for corrosion or for any kind of water in the connection. If you find water or corrosion in a connection it gives you a place to start.
I have used a hair dryer drying connections out before and plunging them back in and getting it running, "On trucks."
If you can get as close to accurate measurement as you can on water level the better we can help pin point .
There are lots of knowledgeable people on here and on mbworld.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks Guys!

I am going to run more codes on saturday when i get back from travel. I will also measure it. I hope i can fix it. I really do. I already love that car and is my dream car. The engine does not look touched at all. The oil is good and clean.The car got in from the back.
Please you guys should give me couple days and i will get more info.

Thanks a lot guys. I will get back to everyone

Old 05-10-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Look at the pump/security module in the trunk. Look at all the fuses and check they have not blown. Little steps at first.
Originally Posted by Toolman
Electrical connectors that were covered in water are more likely to corrode and create problems now and in the future. Some areas could still be holding water. I would go first to the "Security System Module / Central Locking Pump - under trunk padding on right side". Others have had problems with trunk leaks and water getting in that area. Water shorting electrical circuits will cause low voltage and problems for other areas.
This is where you need to start. If the rear of the car was flooded then as OneHundred80 and Toolman correctly pointed out, your Security System Module & the Central Locking Pump was flooded (and probably is still under water because once water gets into that pocket it does not drain out by itself . . ). Take off the rear trim panel in your trunk and take off the right side trunk trim panel. Lift out the styrofoam piece and you'll see the area (as pictured below) that you need to check. If it's full of water open up a drain plug and drain it out. Review further information in the post link below. Open up the central locking module and try to dry it out. Also get yourself some dielectric silicone compound grease. Clean up all the connectors and apply dielectric grease to the connections before reconnecting the wiring harnesses.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post491510

Start with this. Complete checking this area / drying everything out / cleaning all the connectors and applying the dielectric grease before reconnecting the wiring. When you have that done all that and have a good battery connected. Let us know the status and the trouble codes you pull . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-11-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 AM

So how's your progress??

Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Well, I've been down for the count - but the procedure on my heart went well yesterday so I guess I'm back.

My FIRST advice would be to open the big box next to the battery and see if the modules there got wet. If they did, I'd turn the car into an insurance claim. If they are dry and show NO SIGN of water damage - I think you are good.

If the TCM is wet, (under the floor mat on passenger side - auto trans only - that will need to be dealt with as well.

THEN, I'd follow the advice on the security module in the back of the car and put in a charged battery and see what I get.

ANY connector in the car that got wet will most likely eventually corrode and leave you stranded. If the water got high enough to infiltrate any harness connectors, you are screwed even if you get the car running - UNLESS you can clean the connectors well and after 30 years of electronic troubleshooting I have little faith you can effectively do that. When radio equipment came in that got wet, it was usually ruined - if there was battery voltage available to set up the corrosion.

A product without battery voltage stood a far better chance of severe damage. Our advice was ALWAYS to tell people to yank the battery out ASAP and bring the product to us. We did, sometimes, manage to save a radio but often that radio was a problem child for life.

It sounds like the water didn't rise high enough to ruin the car to me, but I bet you have wheel speed sensors that are going to be a pain in the *** for years now. But agian, such sensors are mounted such that, possibly, the connectors are high enough or sealed enough that you are ok.

It's worth a try, but some pictures of the trunk and under the floor mats would help us help you.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Unhappy Re: Crossfire Wont start or turn over after flood

Post deleted - My misunderstanding . . . Sorry

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-15-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a great forum and the information exchanged not only may help the original poster, but likely will have secondary effects and help others today or in the future when they search for information pertaining to their specific issue.
I don't know the OP but on 5/10 (Saturday) he posted that he was traveling (?) and would not be back until Saturday (presumedly 5/17).
Again as one who views the forum often I am always amazed at the time, generosity, help, and information others are willing to share. Thank you

Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM

I will be home on Saturday and i will be running some codes.

I will send the codes i get over to you guys. Thanks a lot guys. You guys rock and God Bless you all.
I will be back soon!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 PM

I am sorry guys. I was not getting notifications to my email anymore (I dont know why) thats why i didn't come back to say anything. I really appologize!
I am new to the forum and i don't really know how things work.
I will try to keep up from now on!

Thanks to you all!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:47 AM

I am sorry guys. I was not getting notifications to my email anymore (I don't know why) that's why i didn't come back to say anything. I really apologize!
I am new to the forum and i don't really know how things work.
I will try to keep up from now on!

Thanks to you all!
My misinterpretation of your schedule to be able to get home and check out the car further . . . I revised / deleted my earlier posting . . .Sorry . . .

Let us know your progress . . .

Quick Reply: Crossfire Wont start or turn over after flood