Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

top wont go down

Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top wont go down

I have a 2005 roadster..i will try and explain what is and isn't happening....when I would unlock d ring for top windows would not go down and when pressing the top button on console the red light would flash and beeping would commence and top wouldn't go down....since car was still under warranty I bought it to the dealer in the winter time of course 7 weeks later they say pick up car its fixed so I pick up the car....first nice day about 2 months or so after repair I go to put the top down and exact same thing happens...no windows not top goes down I call them....now mind you car is now off warranty....they say bring it in...I say sure 2 weeks later they say its fixed I go to pick up car...nothing happens...they start scratching heads...they tell me top was going down...I say top isn't going down...nor windows after unlocking d ring...after fuddying around with the switch in the console..i see top go down one time after pushing the button about 50 times....I say that's not good...they say the switch is no good and i say tell you what I will buy new switch for console if it continues its coming back...now I buy a new switch...nothing...no top no windows...now I bring it back...I tell them windows are supposed to go down when d ring is unlatched...now they get a new sensor or switch for the header area where d ring is....they tell me pick up car it works I go to pick up the car... now I get the windows to go down but no top goes down...now everybody is scratching there heads...they still have my car...stopped in yesterday and was told that they are working on it when they can and make adjustments top goes down let it sit a day top doesn't work next day...I haven't seen this just been told this...also been told that they don't know enough about the car to really know what is going on?...I said if it is intermittent its electrical or a sending unit or computer...he just says were trying and leaves me with this...I hope you get the car back by the end of the summer...now there is more to this story...I bought the car in to Chrysler under warranty..the service guy who I dealt with never called in my work to the warranty company so Chrysler never got paid for the work and parts they say they did...and now car is out of warranty and I reuse to pay because it wasn't fixed in first place and they don't want to loose any more money since no one will be paying them so they are taking there time with the vehicle...meanwhile I am driving an old minivan with my car sitting in the shop for 4 weeks now with it not being fixed...let me state divider in the back is up and in proper position and trunk is latched...any help would be great....I also posted this in the troubleshooting section

Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: top wont go down

The only thing that you can do is follow a logical procedure here.

If the windows go down, it means the sensor in the windshield frame is fine. The next items to check are the sensor in the trunk for the divider and the "top open" switch on the passenger side of the top - these two are wired in series and both are known to act up. The two of them must close to apply the ground to the Top Control Module.

If those are ok, then the "trunk closed" sensor has to indicate that the trunk is closed. Now, as you press the button, you should faintly hear the electric lock activate, locking the trunk lid closed (for the 23 seconds the top is moving). When the button is pressed, can you hear the latch in the trunk move? It is a faint sound... if no sound, that points right back to either the two switches I mentioned, or there is indicatoin the trunk is not closed.

Anyway, if you are not in possession of the car, I can't help you.

Id' suggest you cut a deal with them - you don't pay, and you agree to take the car back as-is. THEN, we can help you get this fixed. If it works once in a while, it is NOT a bad hydraulic pump or blown up control module - it is a switch or sensor that is loose, broken, corroded or acting up.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator

I hope you have learned the lesson of what happens when you take a Mercedes to a Chrysler dealer.

You won't be doing that again, will you?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Also, read this thread - don't go without the car for the top not going down - put it down manually!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also another switch above and to the back of the driver's side window...

Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM

thanks guys I saw the video for the manual operation of the top....unfortunately I don't have the tool....I will be picking up the car either tonight or tomorrow

Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Administrator

TOOLS you need the THE TOOL and a hex key wrench.

MrMiata makes "THE TOOL" from time to time for about $12 shipped. PM him!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

changing the subject but still pertinet you mentioned driving an old minivan did I dream this ? or applicable to original owner only ?

but I remember in early brochures or paperwork the Crossfire is/was a prestige car and as such rated a loaner from the dealer

servicing the Crossfire for as long as it was in the shop (at no charge) can anybody out there confirm this?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Our cars listed for some $35,000 (Base Coupe) to $52,000+ (SRT Roadster) so you DO have a point, however....
Well....

Well, first of all the car is almost ten years old. Second, none of us are the original buyers (and money talks).

Third, (and more important) given that you live so close, why are YOU not on the Fall Dragon attendance list?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-20-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mickey5469
changing the subject but still pertinet you mentioned driving an old minivan did I dream this ? or applicable to original owner only ?

but I remember in early brochures or paperwork the Crossfire is/was a prestige car and as such rated a loaner from the dealer

servicing the Crossfire for as long as it was in the shop (at no charge) can anybody out there confirm this?

I am not really understanding THE POINT OF THIS POST...BUT ANYWAY just an update...I amm waiting on the divider sensor I purchased online which should be here either today or tomorrow and then will start to replace the old with the new

Old 05-22-2014, 03:15 PM

Ok started working on the switch today didn't know I would be doing this blind since I can't fit into the trunk and you can't see the nuts that hold the switch up...I got one of the nuts 3/4 of the way down the post before taking a break since it took me over an hour to get this far...I am using a small needle nose plier on this thing...I say thing because it doesn't feel like a regular nut that a crescent wrench would fit on...if anyone knows what size or type of nut this is or an easier way to get these nut things off it would be greatly appreciated. ..I am thinking of putting my girlfriends 11 year old son in the trunk and having him have at it for a bit...I think he will fit in the trunk...for now I am taking a break heading to the gym to blow off some steam of this time consuming Fustrating job...I will be waiting with baited breadth for any sort of reply...

Old 05-23-2014, 12:22 PM

ok finished putting the switch in...just for future reference for anyone who has to do this the nut size on the 2 posts for the divider switch is 10mm...you will need a 10mm crescent wrench for one nut and a regular long 10mm socket that will work on the other nut....switch seems to be working put the top up and down about ten times in a row but it seems that I have a loose wire going into the console top up/down switch because after about the 10th time top was down and locked in trunk then bam top wouldn't come up kept trying windows would come up but that was it...then held bottom of switch where wires go into the switch and then it worked...seems like a loose wire since that console switch is new....thank god I got it to go up and this is no exaggeration...30 seconds after I got top up and locked into place the skies opened up...going to let car sit for awhile wait for rain to stop and try it all over again and see if it still works..

Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Rain coming and it won't move? Just remember, you don't need the switch to put the top up or down:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html