Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Programming Skreem Module

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Programming Skreem Module

I'm not a subject matter expert in Can-Bus, and I'm not looking to prove 2007/2008 Crossfires are Can-Bus, but that is my understanding from what I've read. The absolute point of my response to the O.P. for help was to explain which tool works with which year Crossfire.

This older chart in the following link shows which Chrysler Scanner tool works with which car: http://www.oemtools.com/images/Vehic...olRefChart.pdf

I do own both a 2004 Crossfire coupe, and a 2007 roadster. I found the DRBIII unit does not work with most of the significant ECU Electric Control Unit modules in the 2007. The Starscan scanner was specifically introduced by Daimler Chrysler to handle Can-Bus vehicles. The Starscan can access and activate all of the ECU's in my roadster.

Last edited by Toolman; 01-22-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cojoman
onehundred80--

Thanks so very much for the link. I opened the site and looks like they can do it without having the car present. I don't mind shipping my things to Canada so that they can do it for me.

lovecross--

I actually purchased brand new everything. Brand new skreem module, brand new keys and the o ring thing that goes around.

Thanks for your response. So far, I have not had any problem with the security or locking systems, so I only know what I've read skimming over these subjects. Dealer replaced ignition switch years ago under our factory 7 year warranty extension, (still OK). No water in trunk issue, so far.
I will be replacing the alarm siren when the windshield gets done. I think it is just a "plug & play" item.
Good Luck with your "skreem". I'll keep watching your thread. Kudos to onehundred80!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There are companies that take your SKREEM unit and reprogram them using your VIN and key codes on record then return it to you in the mail.
It is possible that the electronics inside it are NFG and you will require a new or used one programmed for your car. You can buy the SKREEM unit on eBay for less that $40 and as long as it is not ruined it will work after reprogramming. The programming company may have a replacement if yours is cooked. The unit is like the key programming, it can only be done by certain bonded companies for the sake of security. Otherwise you get a programmed unit using a VIN of a car you want to steel and away you go. The unit stores the key codes that work.
I think that is the way it works if you cannot get any action with the battery disconnect trick.
180, help me remember, isn't there a thread where we have had reports of someone just replacing the SKREEM and not needing any reprogramming by the dealer? I thought you also have encountered that. Can't the SKREEM get it's info from the powertrain control module? If it can't is when you need the dealer to program new keys and RFID codes.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The chrysler delaership is thinkking that the problem lies in their Multiplexer cable (I don't understand it). They say it powers up and quickly powers off after a minute. I don't think the problem is from my car because Mercedes benz was succesfully able to read codes out of my car when they plugged in their company.

Is it possible to connect to my car using another type of cable to the DRBIII? I remember the Benz people saying something like OBD2 port in my car. I am pretty sure they are not using the DRBII but is it possible to use whatever they are using to send data to the DRBIII scan tool?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
180, help me remember, isn't there a thread where we have had reports of someone just replacing the SKREEM and not needing any reprogramming by the dealer? I thought you also have encountered that. Can't the SKREEM get it's info from the powertrain control module? If it can't is when you need the dealer to program new keys and RFID codes.
In post#16 I said I had contacted a company and they replied to me yesterday that they had done Crossfire SKREEMs and had no trouble. I have had garages tell me they could do a full alignment on the Crossfire but could not so....
Anyone interested could contact this company and ask them what they can do. Seemingly you send the SKREEM to them and they fix it.
The halo around the ignition switch has caused problems before, it has come loose or been damaged. SKREEM problems always have the three attempts to start before it requires a reset by disconnecting the battery.
I do not think the module can be programmed by the PCM.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
In post#16 I said I had contacted a company and they replied to me yesterday that they had done Crossfire SKREEMs and had no trouble. I have had garages tell me they could do a full alignment on the Crossfire but could not so....
Anyone interested could contact this company and ask them what they can do. Seemingly you send the SKREEM to them and they fix it.
The halo around the ignition switch has caused problems before, it has come loose or been damaged. SKREEM problems always have the three attempts to start before it requires a reset by disconnecting the battery.
I do not think the module can be programmed by the PCM.
Nope, this was just plug the new SKREEM in and everything worked. that post, where was that one?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Nope, this was just plug the new SKREEM in and everything worked. that post, where was that one?
If you buy a new SKREEM it has to come programmed to the VIN and the keys codes the car has. These are on record at Chrysler and they must be in the module for it to work. Only certain companies can do this because of security reasons. Install one of these modules and the car starts.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:28 PM

Update:

Please guys i need someone to give me a good advice on what to do. The dealership got another multiplexer and card and was able to finally connect to the car but they said they couldn't talk to any of the modules.

Does anyone know about this or why this is happening? Benz was able to connect and was able to communicate with the modules but couldn't program it.

Please i need advice!!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:

Please guys i need someone to give me a good advice on what to do. The dealership got another multiplexer and card and was able to finally connect to the car but they said they couldn't talk to any of the modules.

Does anyone know about this or why this is happening? Benz was able to connect and was able to communicate with the modules but couldn't program it.

Please i need advice!!

Just a thought; if you have the shop manual, (I put it in on a disk, from our forum) find & print all the skreem info. with replacement instructions, in case dealer tech is not "trained". Also; with DRB111 connected, would it show any codes? hang in there. PS; what about onehundred80's last post?

Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 PM

Just a shot in the dark but after reading your first post I had the thought that the ring around the ignition key may not be plugged into the SKREEM, or that the ring, wire or connector may be damaged.
I cannot remember seeing that reason mentioned. That little wire has been known to cause problems.

I just saw your PM, but I really have nothing else to add to the problem.

These should come pre-programmed and therefore plug and play.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-28-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 AM

I'm having the same issue still but, currently I'm having this company look at my parts (SKREEM module, keys and ECU).

S.O.S. Diagnostics

They can fix/reprogram and order new parts if needed. ($100 bench fee to test parts).

They have their own test crossfire in their shop because they get these cars in with problems so often.

On a separate note the dealer I took it too told me my car (2005) was CAN-BUS wired. Was this a false statement?

Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by BuffNSoFly
On a separate note the dealer I took it too told me my car (2005) was CAN-BUS wired. Was this a false statement?
Depends on their context.

The '05 does not use CAN-BUS OBD2 port but does use CAN-BUS for the modules to communicate with each other.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the valuable info BuffNSoFly.

My car is currently at the dealership. It seems like trial and error for them. They got their DRB3 scanner to work but now they are not able to get any response from my modules. I told them to unhook the battery and put it back to see if the ECU will reset (imagine they had never tried that either).

Please let me know if this company figures out your problems.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular

My experience:

I had the SKREEM problem twice. First time they were able to reprogram the module and didn't have to order new keys. Within a year later, SKREEM again, brought it to dealership took 7 months to get it back. Apparently they didn't know what they were doing, somehow they fried the PCM when they put the module in. Had to change SKREEM module and PCM at the same time, new keys and reprogrammed. But to be honest, car isn't the same.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having the same issue still but, currently I'm having this company look at my parts (SKREEM module, keys and ECU).

S.O.S. Diagnostics

They can fix/reprogram and order new parts if needed. ($100 bench fee to test parts).

They have their own test crossfire in their shop because they get these cars in with problems so often.

That places web site sure sounds like they know their way around the systems. I like how they actually seem to sell the tools they use. Even with a group buy that is a ton of money.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:05 PM

S.O.S. Diagnostics

Did this people fix your problem? I will be mailing my things to them tomorrow.

Let me know what you think of them

Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Did this people fix your problem? I will be mailing my things to them tomorrow.

Let me know what you think of them
They received my parts on Jan. 7th and gave me an update on Jan. 21st. They have been behind and one of their techs quit. He mentioned he tested my SKREEM module and keys and the SKREEM module doesn't even recognize my key as valid.

Going to email him today for another update.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the valuable info BuffNSoFly.

My car is currently at the dealership. It seems like trial and error for them. They got their DRB3 scanner to work but now they are not able to get any response from my modules. I told them to unhook the battery and put it back to see if the ECU will reset (imagine they had never tried that either).

Please let me know if this company figures out your problems.
This is exactly what they told me with mine. That when they hooked up the scanner they couldn't communicate with any modules. Specifically the SKREEM module was not communicated to the PCM.

My advice is take it out of there as soon as you can unless they are willing to spend time on it. My dealership had it 6 weeks and put about 6-8 hours into. Then it just sat for a few more weeks.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:36 PM

They received my parts on Jan. 7th and gave me an update on Jan. 21st. They have been behind and one of their techs quit. He mentioned he tested my SKREEM module and keys and the SKREEM module doesn't even recognize my key as valid.

Going to email him today for another update.
I got message from Chad today and he told me that they are backed up for couple weeks but i can send my ECU,SKREEM AND KEYS that he will get a quote for me.
I have sent a message asking what "couple" weeks might be and i am yet to hear anything. I want to make sure before sending it out to them.

Did he also tell you that they are backed up as well? I might decide to take the risk and get on the queue of waiting.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:49 PM

I got message from Chad today and he told me that they are backed up for couple weeks but i can send my ECU,SKREEM AND KEYS that he will get a quote for me.
I have sent a message asking what "couple" weeks might be and i am yet to hear anything. I want to make sure before sending it out to them.

Did he also tell you that they are backed up as well? I might decide to take the risk and get on the queue of waiting.
He did say they were busy and behind on work as well. As expected coming back from the holidays.

If it was me I would plus you figure its going to take a week to get there anyway. So he might get to it when it arrives.

Normally I have my car stored away until spring so I'm not in a big rush. My other SRT keeps me sane during the winter months.

Quick Reply: Programming Skreem Module