Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Adhesive for vertical seam on convertible top?

Old 08-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adhesive for vertical seam on convertible top?

My convertible top was replaced under warranty by Chrysler four years ago when the window glass separated from the fabric. Recently the vertical seam on the right side of the window has opened u., and the length of the separation is probably about six inches long. When the top is up it is barely noticeable because there is enough tension to hold the two pieces of fabric together. You can see a slight white edge that is not visible on the left side seam.

I figure that this should be an easy do-it-yourself repair with the right adhesive, but just out of curiosity I took the car to a convertible top repair shop to get a repair quote. The owner told me that it "can't be repaired because the seam was heat-sealed," and he said that I need a new top. I think we all know that is nonsense.

Has anyone repaired this seam on the Crossfire convertible top, or have you had success with repairs on other convertible tops? What adhesive did you use? I don't think that I need the heavy duty 3M stuff that people are using for rear window repairs. I am considering Goop or something similar, but need other suggestions.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Adhesive for vertical seam on convertible top?

Could you please post a picture of this seam ?

Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same issue and used the same glue I used for the glass to reinforce the seam, 3M 08609 Window-Weld. It dries flat black so blends pretty well with my black top. Not pretty , but seems to do the job.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieO
My convertible top was replaced under warranty by Chrysler four years ago when the window glass separated from the fabric. Recently the vertical seam on the right side of the window has opened u., and the length of the separation is probably about six inches long. When the top is up it is barely noticeable because there is enough tension to hold the two pieces of fabric together. You can see a slight white edge that is not visible on the left side seam.

I figure that this should be an easy do-it-yourself repair with the right adhesive, but just out of curiosity I took the car to a convertible top repair shop to get a repair quote. The owner told me that it "can't be repaired because the seam was heat-sealed," and he said that I need a new top. I think we all know that is nonsense.

Has anyone repaired this seam on the Crossfire convertible top, or have you had success with repairs on other convertible tops? What adhesive did you use? I don't think that I need the heavy duty 3M stuff that people are using for rear window repairs. I am considering Goop or something similar, but need other suggestions.
So the warranty on the top has expired already. I Thought the new tops had a long warranty.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Here is a photo of the seam.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
So the warranty on the top has expired already. I Thought the new tops had a long warranty.

The dealer's service writer told me that the replacement tops only have a one year warranty. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maggy55
I have the same issue and used the same glue I used for the glass to reinforce the seam, 3M 08609 Window-Weld. It dries flat black so blends pretty well with my black top. Not pretty , but seems to do the job.

Likely good advice. You definitely do not want any water leaks back there.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If water does get thru that seam i am pretty sure it will just run down to the cover and out .
it can not get into the trunk that way.
water will get in the trunk if you have a leak around the spoiler mounting or the fuel filler seal but thats it.

Last edited by daveesrt6; 08-12-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by maggy55

I am certain that I will not be using 3M Window Weld for the repair, especially because you have indicated that it is "not pretty." It seems to me that a repair should be possible without any of the adhesive being visible on the outside of the top, and I know that if I use clear Goop I will be able to remove any dried excess with a razor blade.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Forum Regular

Clear goop = clear silicone ? i would not use that , it wont hold there
Sad to see that white line of glue visible on that top, the original tops did not have that
I would lower the top and use 3m window weld on the seam ,both sides, it might not even hold there but at least its Black .
Dont worry the water, if it gets it in will just run out the sides of the tonnea cover thang

Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Clear goop = clear silicone ? i would not use that , it wont hold there
Sad to see that white line of glue visible on that top, the original tops did not have that
I would lower the top and use 3m window weld on the seam ,both sides, it might not even hold there but at least its Black .
Dont worry the water, if it gets it in will just run out the sides of the tonnea cover thang

I am NOT going to use 3M Window Weld. Goop is not clear silicone, it is a very strong flexible adhesive, and it will hold in that location. There isn't much stress on the seam. As I already mentioned, the excess dried clear Goop can easily be removed. I know this because I have been using it for many years. http://eclecticproducts.com/products/amazing-goop.html

This is an "original" replacement top. They all have that "white line" there. It is the heat sealed adhesive, which is not visible until the seam splits.

Thanks for the advice, but it is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CharlieO
I am NOT going to use 3M Window Weld. Goop is not clear silicone, it is a very strong flexible adhesive, and it will hold in that location. There isn't much stress on the seam. As I already mentioned, the excess dried clear Goop can easily be removed. I know this because I have been using it for many years. Amazing GOOP®

This is an "original" replacement top. They all have that "white line" there. It is the heat sealed adhesive, which is not visible until the seam splits.

Thanks for the advice, but it is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about.
Ok angry of sarasota , i was trying to help but hey you dont need any advice .
good luck with it anyway

an god bless ;-)

Last edited by daveesrt6; 08-12-2017 at 07:32 AM. Reason: ;-)
Old 08-13-2017, 12:07 AM

I'm having the same issue with that vertical seam. Don't know which product to use yet...but definitely wouldn't use the 3m Window Weld. The window weld is for the glass. It might hold the fabric but would look terrible. I thought about getting that powder (advertised on TV years ago to hem your pants) that you can heat with an iron or a heat gun.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rpaczan
I'm having the same issue with that vertical seam. Don't know which product to use yet...but definitely wouldn't use the 3m Window Weld. The window weld is for the glass. It might hold the fabric but would look terrible. I thought about getting that powder (advertised on TV years ago to hem your pants) that you can heat with an iron or a heat gun.

I think that if you want to go to the trouble of removing the top to repair it, a heat-sealed adhesive would be a good way to go. I think that I will be able to do a reasonable job without removing the top. With the top latched in place there is enough tension to hold the two pieces of fabric together. Now I am trying to figure out how to clamp them tight while the adhesive dries.

Does anyone know the difference between the various "Amazing Goop" and E6000 products?

Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

"clamp them tight" = large neodymium magnets

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Large-1-2...-/292047755051

^^^^^^^ like these ^^^^^^^^

Last edited by ala_xfire; 08-13-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several E6000 products. I had to go to the kitchen to look. I keep a tube in there for t-shoe repair , works great on that. I don't know what "I" would trust on my top ((coupe owner) , especially if its going to be outside in any kind of winter weather. Seems like the 3M product has faired pretty well , for several owners. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
"clamp them tight" = large neodymium magnets

10 Large 1/2 X 1/2 X 1/2 Inch Cube Neodymium Magnets Super Strong Rare Earth | eBay

^^^^^^^ like these ^^^^^^^^

If I had those magnets handy, I would have used them. I think that need to buy some, just to have them for future projects. As it turned out, I didn't need them. I applied the adhesive with the top up and latched, and there is plenty of tension holding the two pieces of cloth together. It's curing now, and I don't plan to touch it for 72 hours.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:13 PM

E6000 craft adhesive and Goo Gone

3M Edge Lock masking tape

Progress:

Old 05-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is this holding up? I have the same issue on my top and would like to know what can be used. I just noticed it today, it is barely visible because the sections sit right where they are supposed to be.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

A lot about this in another thread
I recently used 3M Window weld with a secure repair
See my post in this other thread >>https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post903052