Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Air Bag light

Old 04-22-2019, 12:53 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag light

Thanks for the info. I don’t think any of the dealers in the valley still have diagnostic equipment.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure that as soon as these cars hit the magic 10 year point and they were not required to support the car they got rid of all that stuff. I was told by Oxendale that certain parts are already a supply issue for these cars and that is why they have to deal with Mercedes in Europe.

It does require two parts. The Chrysler computer system and a mutiplex to interface to the car and their computer diagnostic system along with a special cable that goes between the car and the multiplex.

Often wonder if the airbag deploys in a accident does that mean the car is totaled because the air bag light can not be reset by the dealer because they lack the equipment. Maybe it is time to carry a stated value insurance policy. You can not put a car back on the road with an inoperable airbag/safety restraint system after a accident because of liability issues on the part of the repair facility and the insurance company.

interesting.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk Monster
Thanks for the heads up. I am sure that as soon as these cars hit the magic 10 year point and they were not required to support the car they got rid of all that stuff. I was told by Oxendale that certain parts are already a supply issue for these cars and that is why they have to deal with Mercedes in Europe.

It does require two parts. The Chrysler computer system and a mutiplex to interface to the car and their computer diagnostic system along with a special cable that goes between the car and the multiplex.

Often wonder if the airbag deploys in a accident does that mean the car is totaled because the air bag light can not be reset by the dealer because they lack the equipment. Maybe it is time to carry a stated value insurance policy. You can not put a car back on the road with an inoperable airbag/safety restraint system after a accident because of liability issues on the part of the repair facility and the insurance company.

interesting.
If the airbag deploys in an accident the chances are the car is totalled anyway.
They cost too much to repair, the body parts are not available except from used vehicles and because the book value is so low they are written off.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Forum Regular

Just a update on the air bag module discussion above. There are two different modules for the 2005s Crossfires. Not sure about other years. When the dealer used my VIN, they ordered part number 5102756 AA. That was the $300 module. That is the wrong one for my car. Either they wrote the wrong VIN or ordered it incorrectly. Who knows?? They will never say!!

Well they were then going to take out the center stack and see what the part number for the module that was in the car said on it. Only problem is they could not find the tool necessary to remove the radio etc. They gave me the incorrect module part number and I was able to find the correct one. Chrysler varied in price between $1500 - 2000. Now you see why some cars cost so much for the air bag module replacement.

Long story short I found the correct module online at the Air Bag Center In Florida. $175 plus $20 shipping. I found the radio and stack removal key on EBay. It is part number 9241. Item is discontinued by Chrysler. What a surprise. It is also used on some Sprinter vans. It is my understanding that it is a generic part for Mercedes/Audi radio removal. You could use a nail file I guess but I did not want to screw up the finish so I bought one. It looks like it is made for this kind of operation - thin, rounded blade like on a saber, and slots for levers to slip into.

Hopefully this may help the next person with a air bag module failure.

My suggestion get the radio removal tool and check the part number in your car before you tear into anything.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Just a update on the air bag module discussion above. There are two different modules for the 2005s Crossfires. Not sure about other years. When the dealer used my VIN, they ordered part number 5102756 AA. That was the $300 module. That is the wrong one for my car. Either they wrote the wrong VIN or ordered it incorrectly. Who knows?? They will never say!!

Well they were then going to take out the center stack and see what the part number for the module that was in the car said on it. Only problem is they could not find the tool necessary to remove the radio etc. They gave me the incorrect module part number and I was able to find the correct one. Chrysler varied in price between $1500 - 2000. Now you see why some cars cost so much for the air bag module replacement.

Long story short I found the correct module online at the Air Bag Center In Florida. $175 plus $20 shipping. I found the radio and stack removal key on EBay. It is part number 9241. Item is discontinued by Chrysler. What a surprise. It is also used on some Sprinter vans. It is my understanding that it is a generic part for Mercedes/Audi radio removal. You could use a nail file I guess but I did not want to screw up the finish so I bought one. It looks like it is made for this kind of operation - thin, rounded blade like on a saber, and slots for levers to slip into.

Hopefully this may help the next person with a air bag module failure.

My suggestion get the radio removal tool and check the part number in your car before you tear into anything.
What the heck is a stack removal key? I have mine apart now and just used the radio removal tools. You
The radio removal key can be found at K-Mart and thousands of other places, I made my first ones after looking at a photo of one on this forum.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My air bag light comes on wheb I start the car for a few seconds since I've put an atiwe/raid airbag steering wheel in my car. I think I forgor to take the negative terminal off once. Anyone knows how to clear it completely?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

180, It is a radio removal key. It is a generic part. Did you have to take the entire center out or just the radio? Any pictures?

alexdc, sorry I am no specific help with your question. Did you try disconnecting the battery for say 5 to 10 minutes?

joe

Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 PM

180, It is a radio removal key. It is a generic part. Did you have to take the entire center out or just the radio? Any pictures?

alexdc, sorry I am no specific help with your question. Did you try disconnecting the battery for say 5 to 10 minutes?

joe
If you are changing the airbag module it is easier to take the radio/AC bezel off, I have a double DIN hole for the radio and you can only just see the module, it is white and under all the wires.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah. My battery died since then so it definitely needs a reset.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks 180.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Forum Regular

It is my understanding that the dealer must do it. They have the software necessary.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

Still dealing with this after the Chrysler dealer ordered the wrong part. I bought a used one for $175. Just arrived today BUt it did not have a Chrysler part number on it. So I went to the Mercedes dealer and they were nice enough to tell me if it fit a SLK. It does and it fits many other Mercedes models. I then I stoped at a Chrysler dealer across the street and asked them to cross check the Mercedes part number to see what the Chrysler part number was. It was a perfect match.

The great news for some of you is that the price at Chrysler was $ 2400 and the part at Mercedes was $1200. If you are interested the Mercedes part number is 001 820 08 26 [08] or 0 285 001 165. Chrysler part number was 5099301AA or AB.

The best news from the Mercedes dealer is that they are plug and play. You DO NOT need any software to update or install it. I assume the CAN system provides the VIN segment when the key is turned on. It does that with other modules in the system.

Hope this info helps others.

Last edited by Hawk Monster; 05-13-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

When I replaced mine, the light reset itself after I connected the battery. Havent had a issue with it since and that was like 4 years ago or longer ago. I bought my air bag module off ebay for like $60 bucks or something.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Forum Regular

Did you have to program it?

Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by alexdc
Did you have to program it?
Read post #32.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started the cf last week, it seemed every light on the dash illuminated including the airbag light and the spoiler deployed. The next day, all lights are off except for the airbag light and the spoiler retracted. My one mechanic when scanning the cf computer, said he received multiple trouble codes. He believed his software was not up to date. He suggested to take to a dealer. Took the cf to the mb dealer who will work on cf and again stated they were not able to "read" the cf computer. All that remains on is the airbag light. The cf is drive-able. One caveat brought up by the mb dealer, an aftermarket radio was installed over 2 months prior with no issues after that radio was installed. I'm told the SRS module is buried in the console or behind the radio. There is an SRS on ebay for $30. Given this hiccup of the inability thus far to read the computer, any suggestions to trouble shoot a cause if trouble codes are either numerous, not relevant or not reading at all? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular

There are two types of modules. Best thing to do is either go to a Chrysler dealer with your VIN and confirm which part your car takes or open it up and take a look.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

You might have an intermittent ground, one that 'loosened' up after the new radio installation. Before throwing parts at it, I would check a few grounds common with all the lights that activated. I can not imagine a module like that causing all the warning lights as you described. If you find a ground 'loose', the airbag light may still be needing a reset, since once on it needs a hard reset from something that can reset them (some OBD readers are able to reset our ABS lamp) Good luck!