Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Air Bag light

Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag light

I hope someone can help me with some answers. I was driving my 2005 Limited Roadster the other day and was at a stoplight. The car seemed to shudder slightly. I thought it had quit running, but I noticed the Air Bag light was on.

I took it to a local Chrysler dealer to have it checked out today. They called after a few hours and said the Air Bag Module was bad. It would be just north of $3,000 for parts and labor to replace it. He said he thought the seat belts and the air bag were tied together. If I had a collision, the seat belts might not tighten up.

Does anyone know if this is true? Is there a way to get the module rebuilt or some cheaper option? 3K sounds like a lot to spend for this repair.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!! Gary

Old 07-25-2018, 11:33 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag light

Originally Posted by sunsetseeker
I hope someone can help me with some answers. I was driving my 2005 Limited Roadster the other day and was at a stoplight. The car seemed to shudder slightly. I thought it had quit running, but I noticed the Air Bag light was on.

I took it to a local Chrysler dealer to have it checked out today. They called after a few hours and said the Air Bag Module was bad. It would be just north of $3,000 for parts and labor to replace it. He said he thought the seat belts and the air bag were tied together. If I had a collision, the seat belts might not tighten up.

Does anyone know if this is true? Is there a way to get the module rebuilt or some cheaper option? 3K sounds like a lot to spend for this repair.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!! Gary
You could buy another Crossfire for that price.
He’s full of BS.
The air bag module can be purchased for a low price. It may not be the cause though and may not need to be replaced.
Others may have an idea.
Did you do anything to the car lately?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:34 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

First thing I would do is order a Launch CRP123 tool from Amazon and reset the light,
if it then comes back on, replace the airbag module and reset again.
PM Crystal, she's been through all this.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:18 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
First thing I would do is order a Launch CRP123 tool from Amazon and reset the light,
if it then comes back on, replace the airbag module and reset again.
PM Crystal, she's been through all this.
Why PM? We never learn from them.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Why PM? We never learn from them.
Who is 'them'.
Last time I looked, them was us.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Have done nothing to the car. Have only owned it for about a year and a half with no problems. Where else can a module be purchased?

Old 07-26-2018, 10:06 AM

several on eBay in the $30 - $40 range .....

Old 07-26-2018, 10:12 AM

So I see. Ordered the Launch CRP123. Will go used and then figure out how to change it out myself. Thanks!!

Old 07-26-2018, 11:23 AM

SRT6 service manual has procedure : ( you can download it from the below link in my signature )
BTW, Chuk_138 in Orlando will probably do this for you at a reasonable fee, far less than $3000

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-26-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:52 AM

I'm probably going to get the part used and see if the technician at the dealership does any moonlighting. If not, I have plenty of time to tackle it on my own since I am retired.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Before you decide to take drastic measures, get the simulator suggested or an equivalent, and one of these. It fits in the sockets of the Air Bag wiring. Some connectors are in the footwell side panels (check out the wiring in Section 8W of the Service Manual). Be sure to disconnect the battery before messing with the Air Bags. Also remember to reset the Airbag light after each test.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

Old 07-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Forum Regular

I had an issue with the connectors intermittently not making good contact. This little jewel saved me a proposed $3K replacement.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See , "them" taught us something today...because , it wasn't a PM....lol

Thanks Shamrock!

Old 07-27-2018, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

Correction: Before you decide to take drastic measures, get the suggested "scan tool" or an equivalent. I'm sure you understood what I meant.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:56 AM

Picked up the Xfire from the dealer yesterday. The air bag light was out. Made two or three stops before coming home. The light came on with all the others when starting, but then went out like normal. Made a few stops on the way home and all the lights came on and went out like they should. Seems strange to me that if the module had an internal failure as diagnosed, the light should come on and stay on???? Will see what happens today.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsetseeker
I took it to a local Chrysler dealer to have it checked out today.
$3000 for a $270 module and less than two hours labor.

You took it to a dealer, what did you expect to happen? Were you expecting honesty? Good customer service?
Or you were expecting them to price it such that you'd trade the car in for an overpriced new car they happened to have on the lot?
Because that is what happened.

As to the car "shuddering" and then the light was on - well, sounds to me that your battery is on it's way out. This same thing happened to me and when a battery in these cars goes, it tends to take modules with them. My airbag light is on for the same reason, someday I'll tend to it.

I keep preaching "replace your battery at four years" but not only will no one listen to me, this time, I didn't even listen to me.
German electronics - the worst thing, perhaps the ONLY bad thing, about our beloved cars.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-27-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular

Having a air bag light on in my 2005. Just before winter storage I shuffled cars and it came on. No mods or changes. No accidents or damage. Battery is perfect. Car starts perfectly.

I tried to search and found limited/incomplete info on the forum. Read my manual but now I have some questions.

1. Could not find a thread by Chrystal which someone said has a great deal of info in it in regards to this issue. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated.

2. What is the part number for a new air bag module? Any sources for a new one? Someone mentioned in one of the threads a $230 price and someone else stated $1200. Some found a used one for $60. No part number mentioned in all these posts.

3. Understand only certain codes can be read by the dealer software. Is this true in regards to air bags? What is the code/codes for a bad module?

On my 2007 Crossfire I had a issue and the dealer actually found that when the car was built they set one of the software switches to the wrong country and after they corrected that the problem in regards to the emergency alarm on the key fob was fixed. So I do know they do have some special software. Just not sure if the air bags are in that category. Friend who owns a body shop sends all cars to the dealer to have them reset the air bags.

thanks

Joe

Old 04-21-2019, 11:58 PM
Forum Regular

CRossfires at White Sands NM what color is missing?

Well I am aware some of you have very negative feelings to dealer support and pricing but this is how I solved the problem. Before I chased and replaced parts that may not be the issue. I took the car into the dealer to see if it was the computer module or why the light was on. They confirmed it was the module. Prior to going there I researched a possible replacement. Found a refurbished replacement for $350 plus shipping.

So I was totally prepared to do the job myself because I had read some horror stories of dealer pricing, etc. By the way I called three Chrysler dealers within 150 miles of me and not one of them wanted to work on the Crossfire. There was only one dealer left and they said they could test the system with their computer system. Only issue was their Crossfire tech was semi retired and only worked two days a week.

After they did the diagnostic I asked how much to fix it. They said a NEW module from Mercedes in Germany would take two to three weeks and the price was $700 out the door. I thought for a second and said order the part and call me when it comes in to setup the replacement. My thinking was simply a NEW vs refurnished part, $350 in labor was worth my time so I could spend time on my other roadsters, getting the garden in shape after the winter or doing some agility training with my Dobermans.

Honestly, I considered their price to be honest and fair. So not all dealers are a rip off. Hope my experience helps the next person.

Last edited by Hawk Monster; 04-22-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Typing
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

What dealer had the equipment?

Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Forum Regular

Jeff I assume you are talking about the the test equipment necessary to confirm what part is required rather then the new module itself. Since you live in the Valley, Airpark would not service the Crossfire. They were nice enough to call me and cancel my appointment so I did not drive down here and find that out.

I used Oxendale in Cottonwood.

We are truly the "red headed step child" of Chrysler.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Air Bag light