Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Trunk latch release

Old 10-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Trunk latch release

I have never had the issue but some have had to go through the side marker light to release their trunk latch when it wouldn't open. I have wondered how to actually grab onto it with a wire coat hanger, as suggested, to open the trunk. Trying to be proactive I ties a string loop to the handle to have something to grab. It doesn't stand out and it seems like a simple inexpensive solution. JUST IN CASE

Old 10-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Trunk latch release

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I have never had the issue but some have had to go through the side marker light to release their trunk latch when it wouldn't open. I have wondered how to actually grab onto it with a wire coat hanger, as suggested, to open the trunk. Trying to be proactive I ties a string loop to the handle to have something to grab. It doesn't stand out and it seems like a simple inexpensive solution. JUST IN CASE
Would'nt it be a better idea to tie a string to the handle and tie the other end to the wire connector of the license plate light? That way when you took out the license plate light you would have the string at hand with no need to fumble around in the dark for the loop.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recall using my skinny roof wrench to flip the roof bow open and then reach in to pull the emergency release on someone's roadster

Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

If you ran a string ahead of time, it might help make it easier but the string might get in the way, in the trunk. Hopefully I will never need it but this was a just in case.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
If you ran a string ahead of time, it might help make it easier but the string might get in the way, in the trunk. Hopefully I will never need it but this was a just in case.
The string would disappear under the trim panel at the end of the pull handle. I am not talking of a few feet of string in the trunk area.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbomar
I recall using my skinny roof wrench to flip the roof bow open and then reach in to pull the emergency release on someone's roadster
It depends on where the problem is. If the pneumatic lock/unlock isn't working, the emergency release won't work either.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ambidextrous
It depends on where the problem is. If the pneumatic lock/unlock isn't working, the emergency release won't work either.
That would be a design that had not been thought out properly, an emergency release must work at all times and that includes when the ignition is OFF.
The release must work at all times, period.
Police officer to a kidnap victim “ Why did you not pull the emergency release?”, “ I tried but the ignition was OFF”.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

That would be a design that had not been thought out properly, an emergency release must work at all times and that includes when the ignition is OFF.
The release must work at all times, period.
Police officer to a kidnap victim “ Why did you not pull the emergency release?”, “ I tried but the ignition was OFF”.
I agree, Dave, if nothing has failed, the emergency release will "always" work; but if you read pos t#44 in the epic thread titled, "Trunk lid jammed", you'll see a situation where the emergency release won't work - at least that's my understanding of the post.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My mind may be going, but I am pretty sure that the only time my trunk refused to open I raised the top 1/2 way and then reached in and pulled the release.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:01 PM

That may have happened, sir, and I respect your superior knowledge of Crossfire lore. If so, you were lucky; It's my understanding that the electrical deck lid lock is enabled by the electrical deck lid latch during top raising and lowering, to ensure the tonneau and deck lid will not collide. The best approach is to use the J hook, via the left license light aperture to open the deck lid; that works, if the emergency release mechanism has not (easily) been broken by excessive force when attempting to open the deck lid when the electrical lock prevents that. If that's the situation, all is not lost, and I have a routine that will open the deck lid, free to anyone that wants it (and also believes what I have said in this post).

Last edited by ambidextrous; 01-01-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: The usual typos