Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Replaced all hydraulic now top not working

Old 07-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replaced all hydraulic now top not working

I just replaced all the hydraulic cylinders for the top as they were starting to leak. Now the top will not work at all. the light is flashing on the top button and nothing is working not even the windows will come down automatically. Any ideas. Or maybe someone knows of someone that works on these cars here in Miami. I'm at my witts end with this. By the way I just got the car it's an 2005 Limited with 34k miles on it.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Replaced all hydraulic now top not working

The light is flashing? That usually means the PTCM has lost sync of what position the top is in. If you changed the cylinders, you were moving things around a lot - the PTCM has most likely lost track of where things are.

DO THIS:
Start the engine and put the top up and down completely (including the hex bolt lock) three times. See if that brings it back to life. Use the procedure exactly as described in the video below. Again, ENGINE RUNNING THE ENTIRE TIME.

If the above does not do it, then:
The sensors on the cylinders MUST be able to communicate cylinder movement to the PTCM - twice now, owners have had the same problem after cylinder replacement - and it was improper connection to a sensor on a cylinder.

One last thought:
You say that turning the D ring does not result in the windows going down. Think about how that works. You turn the D ring, the switch in the frame of windshield pulls a wire to ground, that tells the PTCM that the handle has been turned. The PTCM then tells the BCM to lower the windows. Now, what would interrupt this sequence?

A bad switch, sure, but you never fooled with that switch, so probably not. A blown fuse to the PTCM. An error on the CAN BUS from PTCM to BCM (not likely). A bad BCM (not likely).
Now, did you ever mess with the PTCM module in the driver's side wheel well? Probably not. I say it's a loss of sync. Le'ts hope I'm right, cause that is easy to fix, as I explained above.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-05-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:20 PM

I did the manual cycle 3 times with the motor running and nothing. I also noticed that when I havethe tonneau cover in the open and I mean all the way max open the light gets solid but as soon as it goes down a bit the light starts blinking again. Also when I cut off the car the light gets solid for a few seconds then cuts off.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:38 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Petescrossfire
I did the manual cycle 3 times with the motor running and nothing. I also noticed that when I havethe tonneau cover in the open and I mean all the way max open the light gets solid but as soon as it goes down a bit the light starts blinking again. Also when I cut off the car the light gets solid for a few seconds then cuts off.
I know this may come off as a stupid question but it has happened before.
Did you make sure the trunk division was back in place and the trunk is closed.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:28 PM

Yes I did.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:10 PM

I have also have witnessed where the position sensors were placed opposite. Top hydraulics also has a good video on you tube.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:48 AM

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to play with the sensors. That's the only thing that I could of messed up. That's the same thing Klaus from top hydraulics said I switched the main lift sensors and no changes. Next is the bow lift. Hopefully that's the case. Then I can proceed to putting on the new top.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:49 AM

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to play with the sensors. That's the only thing that I could of messed up. That's the same thing Klaus from top hydraulics said I switched the main lift sensors and no changes. Next is the bow lift. Hopefully that's the case. Then I can proceed to putting on the new top.
I used ARTIC MX-4 thermal compound paste to insure I had good magnetic inductance to the sensors. I found it on Amazon. I had no issues when I replaced my drivers side main cylinder.
Like Pizza guy stated I had my car running and completed 6 manual cycles just to make sure. I completed my cycles with the top in the up position everything locked and shut. Then I had to add more fluid twice with just one cylinder replacement. I'd keep a close eye on the fluid levels. It is also easy to get the hydraulic lines backwards so just fruit for thought check to make sure they are all correctly located.
I would also double check the top control module to make sure the connection is good. With my limited time and trouble shooting with these tops I have seen everything that seems like can go wrong go wrong. From trunk latch sensors to cylinder leaks and everything in between you name it and it has happened. I have had to just take a step back and review all my actions or others actions from the fuse to the hydraulic lines. With the help of people on the forum and Top Hydraulics you tube videos I have figured it out and I have faith so will you.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:12 AM

Ok guys here is an update, I took the car to a shop here in Miami. They hooked it up to the computer the error that's showing up is the the main lift sensors are not picking up the metal rod, now you do a simulation by running a piece of metal by it and it picks up the metal. Another test is you loosen the sensors and move it over the rod and it picks it until about an inch or two away but as soon as you put them on the cylinder will not sense the metal. So I ordered 2 new sensors and installed still having the same issue. I'm going to take out the main cylinder and send it back to Klaus to check it out, but he doesn't think that the cylinder is the problem. Have you guys ever heard of this before. Any ideas because we r stumped on this one.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:01 PM

Did you use any type of compound on the cylinders where the sensors connect? I cleaned all the old compound off and used my new compound on reinstall. That's the only thing I can think of is there is some sort of interference at the cylinder itself.
Please follow up with us after Klaus looks at it. Or if it was as simple as applying the compound to the sensor areas.
As all here know that pizza guy is the resident expert on this matter and many others as well.
I am looking forward to his thoughts.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:33 PM

Today I put the paste on the cylinder and still the same. But I noticed that tthe system is getting some kind of pressure because when I tried to bring down the tonneau cover I was stuck I the open position and I also couldn't put up the bow, so I waited for about 20 minutes for the system to loose pressure. then I noticed that the solenoids all were super hot and the pump was also hot so I unplugged the pump from power and from the control module so I now think that the problem is either the pump or top control module. I have no faith on the mechanic I took it to as they should of noticed that. So any ideas on what should I do next.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:16 AM

I would just go back to the basics. Start the car do the three complete cycles. Check all the hoses and make sure they are in the right configuration. Make sure you have plenty of fluid in the reservoir. Top hydraulics You tube video is great! Go through Pizza Guys video and thread again. You may notice something out of the ordinary. I've even had the trunk latch issue before so have someone put a little weight on it while you try to raise/lower it.
Good luck!

Old 07-19-2021, 11:09 AM
Received 350 Likes on 309 Posts

Is it possible two of the cylinders are fighting each other? Hoses hooked up wrong.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an update on you situation. I'm having a similar issue with the blinking light and no action. I'm going to try Pizzaguy's solution tomorrow and see if that works for me. I've cycled the top but not with the engine running.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:26 PM

No update I still haven't found the problem.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:24 PM

Believe it or not still haven't been able to find the problem have taken it to different places and no one can figure it out.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:33 PM

The last mechanic said it was the top ecm changed it still the same then he said it the central locking system. Does that make any sense to you guy's my doors lock and unlock just fine.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:36 PM
Administrator

A water damaged CLP/SSM will disable the top, sure. But generally speaking, you will have lock issues as well.

But the way you describe this, it's as if everything was fine until you changed the cylinders. In that case, I believe you have a sensor somewhere on a cylinder that is reporting a conflicting position.
And since you tried to re-sync and it did not work, well, if the sensors are set up wrong, re-syncing wont work as the sensors are reporting erroneous information to the PTCM.

Rick Dunmeyer in PA has a STAR emulator that will read what the sensors are telling the PTCM. He can find an issue with a top in a few minutes when it's a bad sensor. I don't know of anyone in the southeast USA that has one.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:40 PM
Administrator

I also noticed that when I have the tonneau cover in the open and I mean all the way max open the light gets solid but as soon as it goes down a bit the light starts blinking again.
There you go! That is an indication of a conflicting cylinder position being reported by one or more cylinders when the lid is NOT all the way up.
Im going to repeat myself: I think you have a cylinder sensor not correctly reporting. But I can't be more specific, wish I could.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:51 AM

Ok thanks I will try to find someone that can read the sensors and go from there. But according to both mechanics the sensors are right, but then again, I will find another and be there when the readings are taken.

Quick Reply: Replaced all hydraulic now top not working