Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

How to treat the rubber seal behind the convertible top

Old 06-05-2022, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to treat the rubber seal behind the convertible top

These seem to be badly faded on my otherwise amazing looking ride.
what does this rubber seal actually do? And is there any product to care for it? Can "back to black" be used on it to make it look nice again?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by nickwe21.; 06-05-2022 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:30 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: How to treat the rubber seal behind the convertible top

It’s not really a seal, it is tape that I believe was installed to prevent paint wear. Some owners have removed it, the one on my blue roadster looks bad and I am considering removing it. I also have a friend that owns a vinyl graphic company, I think he could probably cut a new one.

Last edited by JSK; 06-06-2022 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
It’s not really a seal, it is tape that I believe was installed to prevent paint wear. Some owners have removed it, the one on my blue roadster looks bad and I am considering removing it. I also have a friend that owns a vinyl graphic company, I think he could probably cut a new one.
Hmmm good point. So at that point I guess it would be safe to use back to black or any of tue Vinyl/rubber restore liquids after a wash to make it look dark for a while, correct?

Old 06-06-2022, 12:15 PM
JSK

Originally Posted by TNT
Hmmm good point. So at that point I guess it would be safe to use back to black or any of tue Vinyl/rubber restore liquids after a wash to make it look dark for a while, correct?
I don’t see any harm in that.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular

I've been using Back to Black a couple of times a year since I bought my 2005 Crossfire in 2006. The "black" doesn't last a long time but seems to last longer when I don't wash my car as often. My car has only ever been hand washed and only with car wash soap except once with Dawn detergent before using a clay bar. After using the Back to Black, the strip looks new again, but mine has never looked as bad as the OP's.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:06 PM

I'm sure there might be enter products for this task than Back to Black. It's just all that came to mind cause I recently used it again on my Dodge Caravan.
YEah it's weird...the car is immaculate inside and out 25,000 miles on the clock, SRT6 Roadster always garage kept...even the Chrysler logo on front and back are not faded yet either but that strip is not looking so nice!
Gonna have to do something about it.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:23 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by TNT
I'm sure there might be enter products for this task than Back to Black. It's just all that came to mind cause I recently used it again on my Dodge Caravan.
YEah it's weird...the car is immaculate inside and out 25,000 miles on the clock, SRT6 Roadster always garage kept...even the Chrysler logo on front and back are not faded yet either but that strip is not looking so nice!
Gonna have to do something about it.
I have read that some owners run the car without that strip in place with no problem.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:13 AM

Seems to be more decorative. How would you remove it? Warm up with a blow driver and start pulling up? Them getting rid of residue with Goo Gone afterwards?
thanks!

Old 06-07-2022, 12:27 PM
JSK

Originally Posted by TNT
Seems to be more decorative. How would you remove it? Warm up with a blow driver and start pulling up? Them getting rid of residue with Goo Gone afterwards?
thanks!
That pretty well sums it up.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:13 AM
JSK

Interesting, today I was waxing my black roadster, the top was down and when I axed the tonneau cover I applied wax to the tape. When I removed the wax residue the tape looked quite black. The tape on this car is in better shape than my blue roadster but still kind of gray. I was using Griots Garage Best of Show wax. I’ll report back about how long it stays black.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
Interesting, today I was waxing my black roadster, the top was down and when I axed the tonneau cover I applied wax to the tape. When I removed the wax residue the tape looked quite black. The tape on this car is in better shape than my blue roadster but still kind of gray. I was using Griots Garage Best of Show wax. I’ll report back about how long it stays black.
I think I will wax it or use some kind of reconditioning product on it instead outright removing it. Everything else looks phenomenal on this car, only 25K miles so not sure why this trim took such a beating. I just recently purchased the car so not sure what has or has not been used on this strip before. Thanks for all the help

Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine is a little faded where the direct sunlight can hit it, but not as bad as the OP. I have tried various waxes and found Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax does a nice job darkening it and seems to last. It is also an amazing wax after a claybar - very smooth and glossy. I am sure real ceramic treatments are even better, but this is only $18/bottle and goes a long way. I did both Crossies, my Maserati twice, my Audi, and then my daughter did her new Audi and there is still product remaining.