Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

I finally did it. I got my SRT.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I finally did it. I got my SRT.

After nearly a year of searching, I finally got what I wanted for what I wanted to pay. The new toy is an Aero Blue coupe. It took $26,500 to be the first one with my name on the title. The car was found in Omaha and I sent some local gearheads to look it over. I'll be flying up there on the 24th to pick it up but the papers have already been signed.

It's one of those happy/sad occasions. I'm happy that I got the new car that I wanted but sad because I've got to let my old friend go. As a single guy, I have been able to justify owning three vehicles but I can't do 4. That means my little Shelby Charger will be finding a new home. The poor little guy has served me well through the years and all the modifications. It gets better mileage than this SRT ever will, handles like a go-cart, is incredibly tossable in the twisties, and maintenance/repair parts are dirt cheap. Carroll Shelby's ******* child has always been able to put a grin on my face since so many of the muscle cars and late model performers have a hard time keeping up. Alas, this K-car variant had run it's course and was obsolete two decades ago.
I'll miss the little guy, but it's time to step up from the 20 year old Omni to the thinly disguised Mercedes.
Good buy dear friend.

Let's hope the new kid on the block can live up to the stubborn reliability and never ending fun that the Shelby provided.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Default Re: I finally did it. I got my SRT.

Congrats, Congrats!

Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stress enough what a great deal you got. Congrats once again! Great color-- love the aero blue -- esp. on the srt6.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:44 PM

Congrats on the new car!
If you think that old Omni...I mean Shelby handled good, go-cart like, tossable in the twisties...man your going to wet your pants in the SRT-6!!!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Feets, that's great news. Now, would you take 28k for it? The SRT, not the Shelby.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Congrats on the new car!
If you think that old Omni...I mean Shelby handled good, go-cart like, tossable in the twisties...man your going to wet your pants in the SRT-6!!!
Don't kid yourself. You'd be surprised. These Shelby Chargers are very capable cars and were well known to dispatch the Porsche 944s back in the day. A $5 adjustable check valve and larger exhaust puts the little turbo Dodge at the same power/weight ratio as the SRT. The Chrysler 2.2 turbo is one of the very few 4 cylinders that make real torque. There are guys running stock engines with upgraded turbos, intercoolers, injectors, and programming that crank out 400 ft/lbs and 300+ hp at the wheels.

My little Shelby isn't stock. There's a tiny little cottage industry surrounding the turbo dodges. Many owners specialize in destroying the egos of "real" performance car guys with a lowly Dodge Omni.
Compare the ultra light Shelby Charger and the porkier SRT and you'll find that they have about the same weight to tire contact patch ratio.
I've leaned on the engine, tranny, suspension, and brakes on the Shelby. If I worked really hard at keeping the wheels from locking, it'd probably stop shorter than the SRT despite the lack of ABS. Minivan brakes on a cracker box with sticky tires will toss you through the windshield.
Given drivers with equal experience and a tight track, the Shelby would probably embarrass the SRT. Open the track up a bit and the poor widdle 4 banger would have a hard time holding onto the SRT. High speed tracks would be ugly for the FWD.
A non-SRT Crossfire would be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner at the Shelby's discretion.

All that being said, there's only so much to say about the little FWD cars. They have their place as the first "modern" tuner car. Once you get past the agile little tricks they pull, you're stuck with a dorky looking Dodge Omni (Dodge called the hood "snarky" in it's advertisements) that has no appreciable value and has only recently earned any sort of respect from the classic Mopar crowd. The rest of the world still laughs at them. Until they get passed by an Omni.
It's a hoot to go out to the Texas Motorplex with some turbo Dodge friends. The spectators laugh when they see a big burly V8 car draw a run against one of the Turbo Dodge guys. When the lights turn green, the spectators test the acoustical properties of the facility using various forms of profanity as the little 4 banger rips off an 11 second quarter mile, totally smoking the big manly muscle car.

I really enjoy owning the Shelby. I had fun owning one in the early 90's too. However, being a hard core gearhead and working around the Maybachs, SL65s, SLRs, Continental GTs, and Carrera GTs really drives home the age, wear, and tear on the Shelby. I long for the luxuries like power windows, cruise control, comfy seats, and a modern styling that doesn't get scoffed at when arriving at social events. You should see the country club valets scatter like roaches when you pull up in a 20 year old Omni. It's quite amusing. It's worse than when I take my old Dodge diesel that hasn't been washed since the last rain. The looks on their faces alone can be worth the price of admission.

I'm ready for something nice. I'm ready for the SRT.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Forum Regular

What's the Shelby worth on today's market? If its not a ton why not keep the car. It sounds to me like you've got a major soft spot for it and will probably regret the day you get rid of it if you do. How many of us look back on that one car we wish we still had and never sold? Mine was my very first new car, a 1973 TR6. I'm still searching for a perfect one to this day. Don't sell it unless its worth a bundle. With one driver and 4 or 5 cars the insurance can't be a fortune either. Keep it.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Smile Re: I finally did it. I got my SRT.

Congrats, enjoy. I will be getting mine on Sunday of next week. Cant wait. Similar story I have to part with one of my other show cars. Change is good and you only live once.

Carmen

Old 06-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buggy4crossfires
What's the Shelby worth on today's market? If its not a ton why not keep the car. It sounds to me like you've got a major soft spot for it and will probably regret the day you get rid of it if you do. How many of us look back on that one car we wish we still had and never sold? Mine was my very first new car, a 1973 TR6. I'm still searching for a perfect one to this day. Don't sell it unless its worth a bundle. With one driver and 4 or 5 cars the insurance can't be a fortune either. Keep it.
This is the second Shelby I've owned. I bought it as a do-it-yourself kit (completely dismantled) for $850. It'll probably sell between $1,200 and $1,500.
I really don't need the car when the SRT comes home. There's no point in keeping it. I'll have the twin turbocharged fuel injected 440 powered '65 Plymouth for playing and my BOMBed Cummins for heavy work and bad weather. I'll also be building another off road buggy with hand controls for the bro-in-law (paraplegic/amputee) and myself to go play with. This time, we'll skip the sport bike engine and tranny so we can drop in a 150+ hp Chrysler 2.2 turbo. It'll be lots of fun in an 800 lb toy. We've also got to finish building his trike (1,100 cc shaft drive and independent rear suspension).
Toss in the long hours in the auto industry and my personal business (home machine/fabrication shop) and there's really no time to spend messing with another car.

The hot rod (old pictures):

The buggy:

Old 06-17-2006, 02:32 PM

Feets

Welcome, I know first hand the power of a Dodge Omni GLH. I owned a Eagle Talon Tsi with heavy mods; 3" Dp, 3" Straight Exhaust, 1G Bov, Greddy Intercooler, Platinum Sparks, 16G Turbo. I got the shock of my life at a red light after work one night. I saw him and I honestly laughed. You got to be kidding as he was revving up like he wanted to race. I said, ok, this should be easy! I was conservative on launch and he made me pay. he raced out to about a 1 1/2 car lead. I pounded it in 2nd gear and didn't catch him until the 16G really came alive in 3rd and I took him, barely! It was amazing to see that little sleeper push that hard. I thought I was big ^#$% that night. From that night on, I always filled up with 103 octane just in case I met up that little GLH again. I echo the previous poster, keep that little thing, it's a classic.