Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Performance exhaust for SRT6

Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Performance exhaust for SRT6

I have been looking for performance exhaust systems for my SRT6. So far all I have come up with is a BORLA for a full exhaust system. Run your ideas by me for everyone to see. Also you can list any other mods you think aren't to pricey but add a decent amount of HP/TQ.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 PM
RPM
Default Re: Performance exhaust for SRT6

Originally Posted by SRT17
I have been looking for performance exhaust systems for my SRT6. So far all I have come up with is a BORLA for a full exhaust system. Run your ideas by me for everyone to see. Also you can list any other mods you think aren't to pricey but add a decent amount of HP/TQ.
I think Borla only makes them for non SRT Crossfires.

The SRT6 exhaust is completely different than non SRT. It is an AMG system that is around $1,400 (from what I hear).

Don't know how much better you're going to get than an AMG exhaust system.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Amen to that... the SRT6 exhaust system is already top of the line. If you just want it louder... change out the mufflers. Be sure to save your old ones as they are worth $$$.

Cheers!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the Resonator trust me you wont regret or want anything else after that... only about a $100 and is probably the best modification that i have done.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidez
Remove the Resonator trust me you wont regret or want anything else after that... only about a $100 and is probably the best modification that i have done.
Is the resonator what looks like a muffler right behind the exhaust tips?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:05 PM

No... it is the second muffler looking thing after the muffler itself... it is massive... used to lower to the sound of the car and nothing else... it weighs a good 20 pounds...

If you ask at an exhaust shop to have it done they will know what to do and pay no more than $120 for the work... and if you want to improve the note this is the way to go... all in all I can't imagine you not falling in love with the results... after this modification your amg exhaust will sound like an amg exhaust...

Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 PM

Great question and answers. Thanks to everybody for answering my question before I asked.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM

Hello

So if you remove the resonator, how does the sound of the exhaust actually change vs. just being louder? Is the car still quiet at cruising speeds? I like my SRT6 roadster but the exhaust note is whimpy (I'm used to my V-8 Mustang rumble)...I know the V-6 will not rumble but the exhaust sound is not very impressive.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
No... it is the second muffler looking thing after the muffler itself... it is massive... used to lower to the sound of the car and nothing else... it weighs a good 20 pounds...

If you ask at an exhaust shop to have it done they will know what to do and pay no more than $120 for the work... and if you want to improve the note this is the way to go... all in all I can't imagine you not falling in love with the results... after this modification your amg exhaust will sound like an amg exhaust...
I would like to do this, but I was looking into another route. From what I've read somewhere on this fourm the SLK/32 AMG does not have a resonator, so I've been surffing the net to see if I could find the pipe that is used instead of the resonator and I've came up with nothing. I was hoping to find a pipe that had the flanges on both ends just to do a bolt on replacement. Any idea's where to find such an animal?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I would like to do this, but I was looking into another route. From what I've read somewhere on this forum the SLK/32 AMG does not have a resonator, so I've been surfing the net to see if I could find the pipe that is used instead of the resonator and I've came up with nothing. I was hoping to find a pipe that had the flanges on both ends just to do a bolt on replacement. Any idea's where to find such an animal?
Steve - that's funny. I was just out looking underneath mine pondering exhaust and such.
So here is what I've determined (with these pics' help: https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...der/perpage/18)
The non SRT Xfire exhaust is dual to the heat shield (see pic), then down to one pipe to muffler.
The SRT Xfire exhaust is dual to the resonator (which is before the muffler), then one pipe from the resonator to the muffler (mufflers are different between SRT/non too). The resonator has AMG stamped on it.

SRT guys, do me a favor - go out and look at the bottom of your muffler and see what it is stamped. There will be a bunch of #s, a date, and a word, the word is what I'm talking about.

EDIT - Never mind, I'll tell you. The muffler on the SRT6s seems to be made by Sebring - http://www.sebring.at/. I can't tell if the n/a Xfire muffler is stamped 'Sebring' though.

Last edited by RPM; 08-23-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by RPM
Steve - that's funny. I was just out looking underneath mine pondering exhaust and such.
So here is what I've determined (with these pics' help: https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...der/perpage/18)
The non SRT Xfire exhaust is dual to the heat shield (see pic), then down to one pipe to muffler.
The SRT Xfire exhaust is dual to the resonator (which is before the muffler), then one pipe from the resonator to the muffler (mufflers are different between SRT/non too). The resonator has AMG stamped on it.

SRT guys, do me a favor - go out and look at the bottom of your muffler and see what it is stamped. There will be a bunch of #s, a date, and a word, the word is what I'm talking about.
It's been a while since I've been under there so I don't remember exactly how things were put together, but I do remember seeing AMG stamped on the muffler or the resonator. I had stopped at an exhaust shop tuesday to see what they would charge to remove the resonator and replace it with a pipe, but just my luck the main guy was out at a dentist appointment. I got their # and was thinking about giving them a call, but I'm sure he would want to look under the car before he gave me a price.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 PM

Just replace it with a straight pipe of equal diameter as the entering and exiting pipes...

If you do not like it you can have the resonator re-installed for the same price as you paid having it removed... which by no means at all should be over $150...

The first time you hear the sound you will either be satisfied or want to go further... with removal or customization of other sound suppressing devices, I highly doubt you will want to put the resonator back...

Also neither you nor the shop can mistake the resonator it is a BIG muffler looking thing after the muffler itself and way before the 4 Cats...

On another note I never really inspected the muffler much I was always paying more attention to the cats, resonator, connecting pipes, and the tips and somehow did not glance at it once... It seams to be a pretty pleasant muffler if only it was a little louder with the same note and tone, but if there are upgrades I am always open to those ideas...

Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

I am having the resonator on my SRT-6 removed this weekend. Around $50 or more if he has to order a y-pipe.

I will post on Sat and let you know how it sounds.

BTW - I am taking the article from www.skl32.com but I hope they can do a better job of a y-pipe then is shown on the website.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 08-24-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 PM

I ended up going to Midas and paying $300 dollars for a catback exhaust system made of aluminum with all mandrel bents. I will load up a sound clip as soon as I can.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
I am having the resonator on my SRT-6 removed this weekend. Around $50 or more if he has to order a y-pipe.

I will post on Sat and let you know how it sounds.

BTW - I am taking the article from www.skl32.com but I hope they can do a better job of a y-pipe then is shown on the website.
it sounds good.

and that is a good price you are getting... but he has to order a Y-Pipe? what the ****? every exhaust shop I have ever been to has 12398109283 Y pipes heh...

Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 PM
RPM

Resonator Removal from SLK32.com:
http://www.slk32.com/pages/resremoval/resremoval.html

Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Well I just got back from the muffler shop and sure enough, If I want to stick with a pure 321 Stainless system, I would need to custom order a y-pipe from Burns Stainless and perhaps a bended piece to mate up with the existing pipe going into the muffler.

For those the have removed the resonator, did you use stainless or aluminized tubing?

If you look at the pictures at slk32.com you can see he used steel tubing and a fabed a y-pipe and painted the whole addition silver.
Plus he went single exhaust way back at the cats, I plan staying dual up to where the resonator is mounted.

Not the route I want to go. I would prefer to use this:

http://www.burnsstainless.com/Crosso...rossovers.html

Last edited by BrianBrave; 08-24-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Does Corsa or any of the other aftermarket players make a SRT-6 replacement cat back system?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 AM
RPM

Originally Posted by Haywood
Does Corsa or any of the other aftermarket players make a SRT-6 replacement cat back system?
Not that we know of.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 AM

I do not know what material was used, but it was real shiny, i guess aluminum...

Make sure that after the install the person at the exhaust shops check for possible leaks after the welding...

Quick Reply: Performance exhaust for SRT6