Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

My own cold air system

Old 11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: My own cold air system

Originally Posted by bikecop
I fabed up my own cold air kit the other night. I spent under $100.00 and it works great. It does not look as good as the Needswings kit, but it did not turn out to bad. The black rubber inlet hose is smooth on the inside and flows air very well. Everything is 3 inch.
Great jog! Looks very good.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put as many miles on her as you can before the track this weekend. My needswings got more and more responsive with miles. Good luck!

Abe

Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-Town SRT/6
Put as many miles on her as you can before the track this weekend. My needswings got more and more responsive with miles. Good luck!

Abe
Great job on the intake. Your reasoning is exactly what I had in mind. I spent $120 without filters and it really made a difference. I do not have access to a dyno but the change was noticable. I did not make it to show off to all my freinds but to see if I could improve the breathing capabilities of the motor. It has proven it's worth to me. Please don't take this as a discredit to Needswings or anyone elses. Without the offical numbers, who knows how it compares but it fit my budget.

Steve

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
032.JPG (153.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM

I love the looks of the double intake. What did you use for the intake connection (the rubber boot) That does not look like the OEM. Do you have a parts list?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sixshooter
I love the looks of the double intake. What did you use for the intake connection (the rubber boot) That does not look like the OEM. Do you have a parts list?
It is the stock Y pipe but I have on order the SL55 and will install it as soon as I get it. I used a smooth 2 inch heavy duty flex tube to join the two together. It does not absorb heat much like metal. It is the same as used on pool pumps etc. It withstands hundreds of pounds of pressure and will not get out of round.

Steve

Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM

I'm sorry, but when I first saw the pic, it reminded me of the hose on my Hoover vacum cleaner! I applaud you on being creative and giving everyone ideas on going the cheaper route for the intake! Just giving my honest opinion.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular

Got to love honesty....Mr. Dyson.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Come on guys I can hook you up for $200-300 give me two weeks. I like the effort and all but seriously don't we all want the engine to stay at least nice looking. You don't want to pop the hood and see flex tube hanging there. I'm telling you, you will not be disappointed here is the pic all i need to add is the extender to put the filter right up behind the grille and a 45 degree tube. Everything will be metal and either polished like chrome or heat treated or I can have them powder coated any color you want for bit extra.

HERE IS A PIC OF THE N/A crossfire The SRT6 will look just like this one only different sensor arrangement sense we don't have a sensor there AND THEY ALL WILL BE PLACED BEHIND THE GRILLE LIKE THE NEEDSWINGS.....

Let me know who is interested the only thing that is going to keep me motivated to make these is if people want them. There wasn't a lot of uproar for these things on the forum for the N/A I sent 3 over seas and am yet to see them on this website. But if people want them for the SRT6 i will get right on it.
Aluminum or steel?

Trust me guys, you don't want a steel pipe going to your intake, I've already taken that heat-soaked adventure!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Great job on the intake. Your reasoning is exactly what I had in mind. I spent $120 without filters and it really made a difference. I do not have access to a dyno but the change was noticable. I did not make it to show off to all my freinds but to see if I could improve the breathing capabilities of the motor. It has proven it's worth to me. Please don't take this as a discredit to Needswings or anyone elses. Without the offical numbers, who knows how it compares but it fit my budget.

Steve
Split pipe with 2 filters is definitely the way to go. BUT if you get a larger Y-pipe, you will feel a huge difference.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000_0005.jpg (439.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 AM

any results from the track?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGrasoul
Split pipe with 2 filters is definitely the way to go. BUT if you get a larger Y-pipe, you will feel a huge difference.
mmmm...Hot air supercharger, can't be good for detonation

Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 AM

Well, I was on my way to the track today all ready to test my intake and my New Custom tune from InMotion Tuning. The car has been running wonderful, seems faster since the new tune and intake, then as I take off a little quick from a stop sign the car loses power and starts to rev up and down. As I press on the gas pedal nothing happens.

I pull over and shut the car off and start it back up and it revs to 4 grand and stays there. I turn it back off and it goes down to 2 grand afet a minute then it starts reving from 800 rpm to 1500 but when I try to rev the car it does nothing. Well, this goes on through several cycles of turning the car on and off. I finally get the drive by to work enough to get the car home 45 mile trip. During the trip it misses every time I let up un the gas and reapply pressure.

It should also be noted that the cruse control was not functioning during my trip. It would come on for a second and turn off. The two have to be related. I will take it to the dealer Monday. This SUCKS the car was working so well until this point.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:13 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Well, I was on my way to the track today all ready to test my intake and my New Custom tune from InMotion Tuning. The car has been running wonderful, seems faster since the new tune and intake, then as I take off a little quick from a stop sign the car loses power and starts to rev up and down. As I press on the gas pedal nothing happens.

I pull over and shut the car off and start it back up and it revs to 4 grand and stays there. I turn it back off and it goes down to 2 grand afet a minute then it starts reving from 800 rpm to 1500 but when I try to rev the car it does nothing. Well, this goes on through several cycles of turning the car on and off. I finally get the drive by to work enough to get the car home 45 mile trip. During the trip it misses every time I let up un the gas and reapply pressure.

It should also be noted that the cruse control was not functioning during my trip. It would come on for a second and turn off. The two have to be related. I will take it to the dealer Monday. This SUCKS the car was working so well until this point.
Do you have a Sprint Booster installed?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 AM

No, I do not

Old 11-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be the new tune....Did you call InMotion?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Ya, I called him and he called right back even though it was sunday. He said it sounds like the car has gone into limp mode. I dont know, to me it seems like the drive by wire is messing up. If I were to floor it it will accelerate and the S/C will engage but as soon as I let up the pedal will go dead and it will start reving all over the place.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 PM

I've heard of this happening to another member on here a long time ago, I just can't remmeber the thread name..it could be caused by a bad IC pump?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
mmmm...Hot air supercharger, can't be good for detonation
Yeah, no joke. Actually it wasn' t detonation at all, it was just heat soak. When I switched to aluminum I didn't have this problem anymore, but the first try with steel pipes was hell!

You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but aluminum pipes or bust!

My IAT's dropped significantly and had no detonation, methanol FTW!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 PM

well I guess that makes little sense, aluminum gives off heat and absorbes heat better than steel.
Originally Posted by AMGrasoul
Yeah, no joke. Actually it wasn' t detonation at all, it was just heat soak. When I switched to aluminum I didn't have this problem anymore, but the first try with steel pipes was hell!

You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but aluminum pipes or bust!

My IAT's dropped significantly and had no detonation, methanol FTW!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks could be an intercooler pump problem but I dont know it sounds more like the car is runing rich do to the extra air. I had this problem when I put a larger intake on my N/A crossfire, the car would rev when I was on the brake to about 1500 back and forth sometimes the gas pedal would be like you said dead.... This problem now worrys me.. HDDP has not expirenced the same problems I had with his intakes and we attributed it to the sensor placement. But hearing you are having a similar yet more severe problem It has got to be from the Inmotion tune something is screwed up with your a/f ratio and the car is just now recognizing it... I dont know this sounds like a tough one. I dont think it is in limp mode either.

Quick Reply: My own cold air system