Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

My own cold air system

Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My own cold air system

Several people have been private messaging me about a parts list for my CAI, so I'll just post here.

I got an aluminum 3" mandrel bent pipe kit off ebay, used a 3" coupler to connect to throttle body, and custom made the Y-pipe. 3" cone filters you can get at just about any automotive shop, I got mine at Autozone.

Aluminum piping kit.
Here are some kits for sale now, the exact kit I bought. There's a red here and a blue here, I got the blue.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Int...spagenameZWD1V
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-0-I...spagenameZWDVW
What you need to make sure on the kit... make sure it comes with at least 2 small 90 degree bends (see kit and see Y-pipe diagram pic attached). You'll also need 2 75 degree bends and 2 straight pipes and I think I also used an additional 45 degree bend for better fitment on the passenger side. I'd rather get too much than not enough, so the kit is the way to go.

Coupler to connect to throttle body.
I got one at Home Depot that looks similar to this:
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-25821/Detail
And I removed the metal surround and trimmed it down to around 1", or simply the width of just the two clamps. Then attach it to the throttle body and tighten one clamp, then slip the Y-pipe in and tighten the other clamp to the Y-pipe.
I actually bought the coupler first, then the kit. Later I found out that IN the kit were couplers I could have used and just trimmed down the same way. What I ended up doing later however was just getting a 3" single clamp (one clamp that's the width of the 2 combined) made for intake systems at autozone for around $10. I can't find a picture however. But just about anything like that will work, just get creative.

Custom made Y-pipe.
I attached a (very) rough diagram of how I made the Y-pipe with 2 of the 90 degree bends that came with the kit. I had a welder do this and he charged me $25, which seemed reasonable.

HOW i fitted it.
First start with the location of the filters, find out where they'll fit and sit them there. Then put the Y-pipe on the throttle body. Then do one side at a time. I started with the drivers side and put a bend on the Y-pipe going toward the filter and coupled them together. Then got another tube and connected it to the filter and coupled everything together. You'll have to cut where it needs to fit. I don't really remember where I made my cuts but it's really not hard to see where you'd need to cut everything once you get the Y-pipe on there and put the filters generally where they'll sit. Then do the other side.
Here's a pic of the engine bay, might show a little better.
http://rasoul.com/friendsfamily/regular/000_0003.jpg
You might be able to see (starting at the top) there's the Y-pipe, then (passenger side) a 75 degree bend, a straight, then a small cut piece of a 45 degree bend. I don't recall but I think I had to cut the straight one down to size a bit. Then (drivers side) there's another 75 degree bend and then a straight, and I think below that is a cut piece of another straight to reach the filter location.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
y-pipe.JPG (26.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Mercedes New Type Bosch Drive-By-Wire Throttle Body Failing

The new type Mercedes Bosch throttle bodies are starting to fail. Common problems will be
rough idling, lack of power and/or driving problems with different pedal positions (due to faulty
TPS). Cruise control can often fail to operate.

This could be the problem. My cruise stopped working today before anything major happened. I will find out in the morning. If is is the throttle body I wonder how long it will take to come in.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular

thanks for the fyi...........

Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this happened on the srt-4 as well the exact same symptoms. it was the throttle position sensor(tps). some people solved it by putting the stock intake back in. others solved it by replacing it. it sounds like this could be the same thing