Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

custom pillar pod...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: custom pillar pod...

Thats two lol come on guys, I took some pictures of the part will not be tough at all may have to reuse a clip or two from the original. The other question is do we want an overlay and keep the direct replacement under, sorta like it wraps around and attaches in the back of the original or slides over ??? I think I can get it to where it is thin enough NO one would know the difference, OR do we want a direct replacement?? the direct replacement would have to be two separate parts on my part fiberglassed together on the inside, kinda fused together. I am worried about the clip I have Circled working out and this may take a little bit longer. Also it could be slightly more expensive, more material. ,I guess I am just kinda talking out loud trying to get people interested. Also do you want to have the with the gauges included, I found a company that makes custom gauges that could match our SRT gauges with the same emblem as our Tach but they are pretty spendy, the generic green and black go for about 140.00 for tree of your choice http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRAY-...spagenameZWDVW The dark green looks close to ours.

THe red circle might be hard to get the clip to fit over fiberglass that thin, the black ciricles those clips should be able to hold the entire piece just fine.

I say a few more I will figure out what the deposit will be

1. Jonnyangel04
2. BlueMDSrt6
3. distant pulse

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0546.jpg (329.7 KB, 47 views)
DSCN0545.JPG (789.4 KB, 19 views)
DSCN0547.JPG (818.4 KB, 32 views)
DSCN0544.JPG (720.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 04-30-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me personally, I want to choose my own gauges later. As far as the build goes, whatever looks the best and is the best quality in your opinion. Cost for me comes last, go with quality.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever looks the best and the option of with or without gauges... if possible.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Add me to your list.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM

Johnny,

As much as id like to see a replacement pillar pod it might be easier to just build an overlay. Im thinking the biggest issue will come with building those little tabs onto the back of fiberglass. A few times on and off and "snap"!

If its thin enough and fits well enough hopefully 3m sticky tape would eliminate the need for screws/rivets. Id make sure to wrap it all the way around the pillar that way theres plenty of surface area for sticky tape.

And i have my own gauges lets not complicate this.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
The first batch would a triple pillar pod, and then we can go from there. As far as matching the interior color, I think that would be left to you. I will ship the fiberglass piece ready for paint, again if there is enough interest we can figure out sanding and primer arrangements later.
This sounds great, how much $ you will need per person?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Cool we are getting the list going, depending on what everyone wants to deposit I could start or we could wait for a few more It doesn't matter to me. I really am liking the idea of an over lay I was taking some measurements today and that would be the best route.240MXSRT great idea with double sided tape I think that would work perfect.

Here is what it has come down to I am open to anything. It is going to be a piece that fits over the original will look completely stock you wont be able to tell the difference. Here is the problem with this option though. In order to do this It will have to be very thin to look really good, thats fine fiberglass is crazy strong the problem with it being so thin is you will not be able to tuck the wires behind it, in other words you would need to run the wires up the inside of the car behind the original pillar, cut through the pillar and then connect the gauges then attach the pod.

For those who want to keep the car in OE condition, this may pose a problem. I myself am not planning on selling this car ever so I don't care, others would probably leave the gauges in if they were anyway, but I am just laying it all out there so we as a group can come up with ideas and make the best possible product. Is everyone cool with that?? I Called Chrysler they are about $50 dollars to replace not bad but still.

About the deposit amount, I am going to get a list together of what I need and what I have. I will get it all figured out thinking out loud again, I want this to look really good like really really good, Depending on how well of a cast I can get from the original, We may have to buy another pillar i can hack into and then mold the gauges off of that to create the mold for the actual over lay. If you lost me on that one lol don't worry about it. Anyway that might be $50 and added to the supplies price list, might be my only route If I ruin mine I'm out one when I want to install my pillar pod. I will see what the total is and we can go from there. I was thinking like $30 - $40 maybe more, I don't know what do you guys think?

ohh I wanted to add, this project feels like it is not going to be tough at all with the ideas we have come up with, The trick is just going to be having the gauges sit right and look good, might take a few hours and a couple of tries. When all said and done though, if there is left over money from the deposits, and once I come up with a price for this bad boy, for people not on the list, I refund your money minus paypal fees. Sound fair??? IM looking for input I don't want anyone to be in the dark on this.

Pillarpod Deposit list
1. Jonnyangel04
2. BlueMDSrt6
3. distant pulse
4. 24M3SRT
5. Dave Mcguire

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 05-01-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-6'er
Whatever looks the best and the option of with or without gauges... if possible.

You want on the list ??

Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM

I'm good investing up to $100 if need be. Above that, I start asking questions.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
I'm good investing up to $100 if need be. Above that, I start asking questions.
Yeah,
$100 max sounds good to me.......Let's get this going guys!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM

I had planned on doing just as you said and running the wires through the stock pillar. People are gonna have to come to terms w/ purchasing another one if they ever want to go back stock...which i dont think many of us will.

It might be easiest to purchase a universal triple pillar pod, bondo/attach it onto the stock pillar where the gauges sit evenly/properly, then make a mold off that. Ebay sells them for $20 shipped, but its impossible to know if the angle at which the individual pods are seated and spaced apart will work for our cars.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:23 PM

You want on the list ??
Yes... put me on the list. I am good for $50ish upfront for R&D costs.

I like the idea of keeping a stock look, even if it requires drilling into the stock pillar. I think the looks of this piece should come first, as I have seen some gauges that looked like crap.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-6'er
Yes... put me on the list. I am good for $50ish upfront for R&D costs.

I like the idea of keeping a stock look, even if it requires drilling into the stock pillar. I think the looks of this piece should come first, as I have seen some gauges that looked like crap.
Agreed! Looks are very important for this mod......

Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 PM

I am willing to route the wires through the stock pillar. Just like you, I plan on keeping this thing till the wheels fall off.

When can everybody come up with the downpayment (is tommorrow too soon?)? And also jonny, can you pm everybody with the dp amount and preffered route of payment (paypal would be nice). I would like this to start as soon as possible.

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 05-01-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Closing it on Monday sounds fair. 2 1/16 sounds good. $50 sounds good.

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 05-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM

its about $80 for the amount of hardener and resin we need to do everyone on the list, $50 for a new pillar, for when I wreck my old one, $40 for the kitty hair, $10 for a bag of crappy paint brushes, $5 for a roll of tape or two, $30 for a t ripple pillar pod for mock up, may need two hope I get it right the first time, but would like to have another just in case and not have to wait for shipping, I think I have some bondo lying around if not $15

total that is $235 not including the possible extra pillar, and just thinking off hand what I will need, I may need something else.

IF you guys want to send a little more money that would be great, if not I will work with what we have,or we can wait for more people to join the list. I really didn't think it was going to cost this much but there is no in between amount of resin and hardener It would be cheaper to have too much then to have too little and buy more, plus the new pillar really take a hit. I would also like to have money to refund, rather then asking for more if a problem arises, I am just trying to cover my A$$ so you guys are not disappointed, and so I can get them too u asap with out having to wait for say another pillar.

Let me know thanks

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 05-01-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM

BUT i have one more question 2 and1/16th gauges correct everyone cool with that? That is the pretty universal size just making sure no one has some 2 and 3/4 auto gauges or something weird.
Members running 2 3/4 or larger gauges will have to go another direction.

I think most of us are running 2 1/16(52mm) gauges.

I notice you said you had all summer to work on this. What kind of time fram do you think were looking at?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Members running 2 3/4 or larger gauges will have to go another direction.

I think most of us are running 2 1/16(52mm) gauges.

I notice you said you had all summer to work on this. What kind of time fram do you think were looking at?
I said all summer because I didn't think anyone would want to hop on this fast I just threw it out there initially. Assuming all goes well 4 weeks maxs, and that is only because shipping. I have no problem using the pillar I have now to hack into its just shipping for the triple pillar.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM

My $50 is sent via paypal... lets do this!

Thanks for the work... can't wait to see the results!!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM

My $50.00 has been sent via paypal. Please verify you received it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: custom pillar pod...