Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

OK, here goes...

Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, here goes...

PLEASE believe me when I say I am not trying to ruffle feathers, or sell anyone short on their effort, expertise, or accomplishments.
I am new to this forum, and to my SRT6 (which I love) but by no means new to custom, and fast cars (owning, building, and racing). Like many of you, my first obvious mod is going to be some form of CAI. I have researched this forum extensivley, as well as most manufacturers, to find out what is out there. I have communicated with Needswings several times, as well as other members of this forum. In many respects, Needswings seems the best possibility. He has done away with the 90 degree bend (turbulence) and the small inlets to the TB (apprx 2" each - close to the same size and shape as the air openings on each side of the radiator), and retains the vacuum *** as original design calls for. (whatever I buy or design will have to draw air from in front of radiator. I live in Texas - too hot for engine compartment air + the colder the air = more oxygen = better, hotter combustion). Here is my question. The single snorkel design draws air from only one of the openings next to the radiator (I measure the oval opening at 1.5" x 2-3/8") so when you insert the rubber sleeve, you get an opening of 2" or less (exactly half of the stock systems source of air). Everyone quotes what the filter is capable of drafting, but I get no info on what any particular system is able to flow. I asked Needswings about this, and am assured that the sleeve forms an oval, and will not fold or crimp. Folding or crimping was never my concern, nor my question. A free flowing K&N filter clamped to a 3" tube, then restricted by a 2" or smaller opening cannot fill all that pretty 3" polished tubing feeding to the TB.
__________________ _______________________
Enlarge the opening (a major hassle, and not able to return to stock later).
Go with dual snorkels to get apprx 4" of source opening. The downside of that plan is two rather large filters sitting in front of your radiator, not only blocking air flow intended and needed by the water cooling requirements, but at higher speeds or under hard acceleration, sucking in large amounts of that air. A possible design solution; ONE FILTER, long, round and open on both ends, feeding two air tubes. Air source doubled (to what the stock setup started with) and still only one filter in front of radiator. NEEDSWINGS would be one of the obvious members to address this idea. A possible next generation design? Please remember this is all IMHO and tendered with much respect to all here. Please feel free to educate me if I am off base with this. I await feedback before I start sourcing parts.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OK, here goes....

it sounds like you are describing the bdj cold air intake it has two needswings tubes(basically) and many people have tried it and said the needswings seems to show better gains. but on dyno it seems to be the same so i am unsure what the problem is

Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 PM

All in my post. BDJ's looks good, but it is really a warm air intake. Exactly like what I have now (so I'm certainly not putting it down). I'm just afraid when it gets HOT here in Texas, I will want (need) cold air feeding in, and...
I want to keep the stock vacuum line (like Needswings did) and...
Not have the source restricted to one 2" opening, and...
Not have two big K&Ns blocking my radiatior... not really looking at these points as problems, as much as just seeking the best possible solution...I know - it's the better mouse trap thing...but what the heck???

Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Forum Regular

NeedsWings claims a 132% flow increase over stock, and mine did give a very noticeable improvement.

Code3 has an intake that draws straight from the throttle body, but they report poorer gains than the NW CAI.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb
NeedsWings claims a 132% flow increase over stock, and mine did give a very noticeable improvement.

Code3 has an intake that draws straight from the throttle body, but they report poorer gains than the NW CAI.
Thanks, Jeff. That's the kind of feedback I'm seeking. I have no doubt that N'Wings is the front runner. Wonder if it can be improved on. Would 200% over stock be good? At what point does it stop being an improvement? Does anybody have the smarts to really know? (Of coarse that's a stupid question - I'm sure many people can say definitivley when more air ceases to be beneficial - I'm just hoping to hear from one of them). If I don't, I may just install the N'Wings, and let it go. Or, maybe start sawing and clamping parts together. We'll see.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by M Riley
I may just install the N'Wings, and let it go. Or, maybe start sawing and clamping parts together. We'll see.
M Riley, Sounds like you have a decent amount of knowledge on the topic. My advise to you is, why settle for second best? Sounds like your capable of designing something better then NS. I for one agree with you. Although the tubes are big what good is it if its restricted at the point of the air entering.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

"(I measure the oval opening at 1.5" x 2-3/8") "
your measuring the hole thru the plastic passthru piece. we remove that plastic piece all togather which leaves us a much larger hole to pass 3" tubing thru.

can/will we make a dual cai for the srt6? already have, waldig has been running it since summer. we are still waiting for a sample silcone Y section for the TB to properly do this as the prototype coupler was a cut and glue'd deal (not pretty enough to sell). was their gains to the setup? sure, IIRC it was a 12hp increase at redline and an even greater increase under the curve on the way up.

there will be a very tight fit past the tube into our new intake manifolds but is still do-able

is there a bang for the buck for basically doubling the price of our cai kit? thats the question! so the cai^2 will see the light of day this spring and we'll see if anyone purchases it. we also have a nice tweak (and much cheaper) to the current cai we offer thats being tested now on ours as well as another members ride. good things to come

Old 12-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

As always Rob, you are always keeping an open mind, testing and tuning. An Idea is fine, but has to be tested to see if gives you what are seeking for the price you wish to spend. But I have a simple question? Just how much air can you push thru that little hole in the back before turbulence becomes a problem. Bigger isn't always better is it???

Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Forum Regular

I have the AMG55 intakes and they seam to work well enough.

it's a joke, don't get your feathers ruffled.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

well, that puts a new look on "getting the bird"..........

Old 12-25-2008, 05:33 PM
ADDICTED TO BOOST
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OK, here goes...

I think we all talked this subject to death when Rob (Needswings) and Brian (BDJ) came out with there intakes over a year ago. The dual intake is probably better, if you can get the filters out front. I know a few people have done it, but only with modifying the radiator on the drivers side. I myself am not willing to start the "hacking" on the radiator.

Rob, you should contact Brian and use him to source a metal Y adaptor instead of the rubber one Waldig is running.

M Riley, Attached is a measurement of the pass through with the factory pieces out of the way.

Just inputing "BDJ's" in the search box will bring pages after pages of debate. I think everyone was finally convinced to go the needswings route after people started using timeslips instead of dyno sheets as the measuring tool of performance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
srtcai6 041.jpg (148.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg
focus 013.jpg (134.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-25-2008, 06:18 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by BLKFIN
I think we all talked this subject to death when Rob (Needswings) and Brian (BDJ) came out with there intakes over a year ago. The dual intake is probably better, if you can get the filters out front.
The SL55 intake provides the best of both worlds (IMHO):Plus you can pull over after driving hard for an hour, pop the hood and place your bare hand on any intake component and leave it there.

Try that with any metal intake....but please, do it near a burn center.....

Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
The SL55 intake provides the best of both worlds (IMHO):Plus you can pull over after driving hard for an hour, pop the hood and place your bare hand on any intake component and leave it there.

X2 .............

Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

we fire up the TIG every other day so thats not and issue. i prefer the silicone route for several reasons.

so whats the ID of the sl55 splitter inlet tubes?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Forum Regular

here pic's again

.................................................. ............................

Old 12-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Forum Regular

hum funny thing after driving for a while , it gets hot here in TN also,

i pulled over opened the hood and placed my hand on the big straw
intake tube,
and was amaized how cool it was.....if u let the car sit a while their is some heat but when your moving or mash the gas the cool aire takes care of that ....

Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 PM

Check my personal thread. I have already done the hard work, r&d, mistakes, etc, when it comes to cai's.

Ive run every intake setup under the sun. Go with NW or build your own to similar spec.

I am the only person on the forum i know of who is running out of injector on the top end...and putting the stock intake back on fixes my problem. What does that tell you about the NW design, it works. This comming from the biggest devils advocate...

Old 12-25-2008, 09:51 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by huudoo
here pic's again

Is that some sort of sock that's placed over (& chocking) that little filter?

I can't make out the brand - but it can't be K&N.

Is that used to block all the bugs and road grime, or does it somehow filter out water, keeping the filter dry? I know you need to let the K&N filter completely dry before coating it with the "recharge" oil. The instructions say that it must stay dry and "recharged" to be effective. At least the K&N filter that came with the Banks Turbo Kit on my new truck.

The radiator sure looks like it's cut off from a lot of the air flow.

I much like this - I posted a mod on the forum to relocate those horns out-of-the-way and to gain a better airflow. Members say it even works with the NW

Notice how the air just "RAMS" straight into the intake tubes - billowing into the huge SL55 Air Boxes and Filters - allowing effortless induction into the twin screw supercharger....and maximizing the air flow to the radiator - free and clear.....

Last edited by BrianBrave; 12-26-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave

Brian, do you know anyone who sells that set up as a kit? I know LET talked about it, But I can't find anything on their site. I hate to lose the sound of my Hot air system (Code3) but I agree with you the SL55 setup is the one that makes the most sense.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Max
Brian, do you know anyone who sells that set up as a kit?...
TVT_DESIGN has them available…https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=29385.

I kinda like the SL55 air filter setup. BrainBrave’s points are all valid and true, IMHO. There is something about installing AMG hotrodding parts - from their parts bins - that adds a certain panache. No disrespect indented to the fine aftermarket purveyors who serve the Crossfire/SRT-6 faithful.

Quick Reply: OK, here goes...