Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Dyno = no joy

Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dyno = no joy

It's all good, just great you made it to the track. The launch is something you will perfect. The burnout is pretty important too. Even with stock tires.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The first run was with 35lbs. in the rear tires. Went around the water and did a 4 second burnout. It surprised me how easy it was to spin the tires, revved right up to 5 thou, shifted to 2nd and let off the brake. Now I understand the necessity of rolling into the throttle. The 2nd. run I adjusted the tire pressure to 30 lbs. in the driver side and 28 in the passenger side rear tires. Did the same burn out. Took off soft, slipped a tad on full throttle but I was excited to see a 13 on the slip. No way to know. What is for sure is it will take lots of practice for me to learn how to launch with the Michelins. The easy way would be drag radials and if I get to be a regular at the track you can be sure they are at the top of the list. I was going to take off the grill on the 2nd. run ala Cruzin but decided I needed to launch without spinning before the quest for more speed. All in all an education for me, some fun, and lots of waiting.

Les

Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Les!
Sounds like you had a good time!!! Traction is the name of the game...I have to practice on my launches too...

Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 AM
THREE 6S

You will get the hang of it; my first experience was a learning one as well. If you can get any thing sub 2.1 for 60’ on those Michelins, you’re doing well. Good times....

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 AM

I arrived at the track at 8 PM and left right after my 2nd run at 11. At that rate it will take a long time to get good at launching. I watched the video of Distant Pulse several times in preparation and did a carbon copy of his burnouts. During staging I wasn't watching the tack but I loaded the converter until it pushed me into the 2nd staging light. What I learned? Just can't mash the pedal. I did a lot of things correct. The car is a rocket, it just needs a more experienced driver. I had a question in the back of my mind ... a what if sort of question. What if the 06's are slower than the 05's. Or maybe faster! I mean, I think I could be the 1st 06 down the 1/4 mile. And this weekend, if the weather is decent, I'm going to run on a go-cart track in Sabana Seca where the Michelins will be happier.

Les

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am shocked there is a Drag Strip in PR. I don't know why...but I am. The launch in these cars is pretty tricky but with a little practice you will get it down!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM

I went to Carolina Raceway Park which is 15 minutes from my home. There is a track in Arecibo on the west side that I know of and the best and most crowded is in Salinas which is in the south of the island. Salinas is a NHRA sanctioned track where al the 7 second turbo 4 bangers run.

The launch is sooo slippery. Its hard to go slow to go fast but I'm convinced that's the only way on street tires. Oh, I ran a 15.1 at 106.62. What an embarrassment. Now I have to redeem myself. And to think 2 weeks ago I was snickering about the SRT-4 Caliber running high 14's and a great sounding Tundra pickup running 15's because they were spinning at the starting line. Humble pie is my breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Les

Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Just got back from the autocross track in Sebana Seca. Man, what a blast! Didn't have any problems with the car what so ever. The Crossfire was a star. I took a couple of the regulars around the track with me, sort of a favor and informal lesson, and they were extremely impressed with the car. I did get a high oil warning but I just think it was the G-forces sloshing the oil around. Anyway, the circuit is slow with lots of tight turns. I made the circuit in 1 minute flat. I only got into 3rd at on point on the track. I kept traction on and let the car shift in manuel mode. The regulars said the times I was running with a car with no modifications was impressive. They also said the car was capable of taking 2 seconds off each lap with practice, and the tips they gave me. Most of the cars faster than me had autocross tires or totally modified suspension and big brake kits. I'm already shopping for replacement tires for when these wear out and from the looks of them after 1,000 miles of my spirited driving, it will be sooner than later. So, what tires to buy when the time comes? Pilot Sport Cup? They come in 18 and 19 so I could keep the stock wheels. (This car is not a daily driver. Its my thrill mobile) Anyone who knows tires feel free to chime in. I'm looking at new pads and stainless lines as the first improvement.

Les

Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
... a what if sort of question. What if the 06's are slower than the 05's. Or maybe faster! I mean, I think I could be the 1st 06 down the 1/4 mile. And this weekend, if the weather is decent, I'm going to run on a go-cart track in Sabana Seca where the Michelins will be happier.

Les
Wishful thinking, but unfortanately both 05's and 06's perform the same... We have put the CAI on both and they performed exactly the same next to my 8. That doesn't mean there are variances in each specific engine built in, same exact engines naturally produce varying amounts of hp in an acceptable range.

My father used to tell me how some old rare engines that rolled off the assembly lines were almost perfect upon testing and produced more hp than normal. Somehow they could've ended up in a couple of race cars...

Last edited by srt6shadow; 02-23-2009 at 08:23 AM.