Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Whale spoiler gasket?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whale spoiler gasket?

Does the large spoiler on the SRT have a gasket under it? If so I would guess I could still get it from Chrysler.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Whale spoiler gasket?

Originally Posted by scoutmstr
Does the large spoiler on the SRT have a gasket under it? If so I would guess I could still get it from Chrysler.
Um, call me crazy, but what does a gasket have to do with parts availability?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is yours leaking water into your trunk too? I discovered this new trick just out of warranty....

Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 AM

I need to clarify. I have a Xfire with the whale spoiler. It was added by a dealer for the PO years ago. The dealer mounted it through the regular spoiler on this coupe (not SRT) The dealer made a gasket from cork to fit underneath the whale spoiler as it mounts to the regular spoiler. So the question is there a gasket that goes underneath the whale spoiler as it comes on a SRT?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhhh! I see now. Sorry. I misunderstood you before.

I don't know if there is a gasket or not. But I do know that user James1549 mounted an SRT wing on his coupe by himself. So he would know the best way to seal it up. Try PMing him.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

I have my spoiler off -- I'm doing some custom body and paint.

To answer your question; yes - there is a small o-ring around each of the bolts that protrude into the hatch. You can get these at any decent hardware store.

Mine had a small amount of rust (very minor) on the bottom of the mouting base of the spoiler. But we don't get much rain here in So Cal and my SRT6 is always garaged.

I can take picture tonight when I get home from work if you would like.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also try sowardcustoms in the parts/for sale section.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I would like to see pics of your car with the added wing on top of the original wing. Curious if it is aftermarket because an SRT wing wouldn't sit flush on a flat panel. I see your USER GALLERY is empty. Does your wing still come up when you hit highway speeds?

Last edited by James1549; 04-30-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM

I actually have been suffering with this problem for the past 3 or 4 months, could have been more but I just took off my interior piece and thats how I noticed.. I ended up figuring out that its not the wing that is the problem but its actually the baseplate that the wing is mounted on, at least in my case. My O rings were fine and I even plugged up the holes to make sure it wasn't the O rings but it still leaked. I even took my baseplate off and noticed that the seal was derteriorating and wasn't sticking to the baseplate anymore. Fortunetly I'm still under my warranty so they're going to replace it. If you guys want pics of the seal I'll post them.
brandon

Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Forget the warranty, go buy the RUBBER weather stripping youself and install it so you know it is correct. Less than $5 at Home Depot or Lowes.

Originally Posted by Bubba89
I actually have been suffering with this problem for the past 3 or 4 months, could have been more but I just took off my interior piece and thats how I noticed.. I ended up figuring out that its not the wing that is the problem but its actually the baseplate that the wing is mounted on, at least in my case. My O rings were fine and I even plugged up the holes to make sure it wasn't the O rings but it still leaked. I even took my baseplate off and noticed that the seal was derteriorating and wasn't sticking to the baseplate anymore. Fortunetly I'm still under my warranty so they're going to replace it. If you guys want pics of the seal I'll post them.
brandon

Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 PM

James1549

I now understand the problem. Your pictures were great. The spoiler I have is indeed the whale spoiler and the bottom of the spoiler is the same. The difference and my original confusion is in the mounting. It appears on the back of your vehicle there is a recessed area into which the spoiler pedestals mount and the reason for the Orings. Mine is mounted on the top flat surface of the base coupe and had holes drilled through the coupe's spoiler to mount the large spoiler. As a result the groove/recess around the pedestal base creates a open distance between the top of the original spoiler and the outside "lip" of the added spoiler. They had originally cut a piece of cork to fill the gap around the perimeter and I mistakenly thought there was a gasket that was missing.
And now I know why one of the bolts had an Oring on it.
They did cut the bolts so the nuts wouldn't hit the hatch under the orginal spoiler. So now I need to figure out a rubber gasket similar to one that goes under a facuet or something like that.

The fuse fo activate the original spoiler had been removed because the outside edges of the whale spoiler will hit the fenders if the original spoiler is allowed to lift.

Sorry for long post but I wanted to get all info correct and complete in my answer. Thanks for the help

Old 04-30-2009, 06:02 PM

I am not sure of the cost, but maybe you should go ahead and purchase the proper mounting plate for the spoiler from Chrysler. It is a very simple change over and it will be right. Get it painted and it will bolt in place. I hate to think they drilled holes through a once functional wing!

I still want to see pics.

Glad to help. James

Last edited by James1549; 04-30-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Also I am curious how the dealer got your light to stop flashing on the wing switch - And the beeping sound to stop above 80 mph? Just pulling the fuse will keep the wing from coming up, but the warning will still be active.

James

Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM

James1549
Is the mounting plate that you mention instead of the OEM wing?
The PO had a dealer do it. I don't want to use that dealer for anything else. Vehicle has been this way for about 3 yrs. As soon as I get it remounted I'll try to post a picture.

As to the alarm above 80 don't know haven't been there yet but will let you know on the picture post

Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Yes the mounting plate takes place of the active wing. What about your manual wing switch, does it have a light flashing on it when you drive your car? The active wing will unbolt as a unit, then simply bolt the mounting plate in place. Remove your hatch trim panel on the inside and you can see it all. James

James1549
Is the mounting plate that you mention instead of the OEM wing?
The PO had a dealer do it. I don't want to use that dealer for anything else. Vehicle has been this way for about 3 yrs. As soon as I get it remounted I'll try to post a picture.

As to the alarm above 80 don't know haven't been there yet but will let you know on the picture post