Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

Old 05-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Do it yerself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

I would feel better if there was a bracket, something simple, say like what I marked in red.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SSPX00911.jpg (62.1 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Do it yerself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

would this work on a stock pulley setup or do i need a different size belt? are there any spacing issues with the new pulley in regards to belt alignment?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the RPM rating on the stock SC pulley? I raise this question due to idle pulley bearing incidents that occurred, and people mentioning getting alternate pulleys.
-Steve

Last edited by smpshady; 01-04-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM

... and is this (or should it be) an issue for the original, "1st" run, Code 3 pulley? I haven't gotten my tune yet, but should I "expect" to get some slippage now, or when I do (get tuned)?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
There's been some interest in my DIY Belt Wrap kit so here goes.

PARTS LIST

1 - Idler Pulley, NP 1202000470 (same as supercharger idler pulley)
  • $10.30 at Rock auto.com LINK shipping is about $10 also????
1 - M8-1.25 bolt, 75MM long
  • $0.99 at ACE Hardware
1 - M8-1.25 nylon locking nut
  • $0.45 at ACE Hardware
1 - Spare washer laying around the garage
  • FREE
A word of caution.
Not all bolts are created equal, some bolts are made from any old piece of metal that can be purchased cheaply and some bolts are made from high tensile steel. The quality bolts are from well known manufacturers like Allen and and Unbrako, these are made from HT steel with a tensile strength of 190,000 PSI minimum. These bolts are made to high standards with forged heads, rolled threads and fillets, bolts that are found at Home Depot etc are just bolts and are inferior, the cheaper ones have cut threads and fillets, this makes them weak, the steel these are made from has a tensile strength of 40,000 to 100,000 PSI.

In this application with an unsupported load on the bolt even the best bolt will fail from fatigue at some point. Bolts are strongest taking tensile loads not unsupported side loads.

The initial load bends the bolt and the belt will flex the bolt all the time when running, this is not good and will cause the bolt to break suddenly. I am not saying it might break, I am saying it will break.

If this bolt breaks what will the damage be? I think that it will probably exceed the $175 saved.

This pulley should be supported on the end and a quality bolt used. Even the cheap bolts will last if the bolt and pulley are supported.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-16-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:37 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Good point on supporting the bolt and on bolt quality. I think this mod could be easily upgrade with a short bar between the bolt and the nearby support.

Anyone have a part number and a source for one of those spiffy HT bolts?

Old 05-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Do it yerself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

Hardware store , get a grade 8 bolt, that is like kryptonite.Woody

Old 05-16-2009, 06:48 PM

woody, do you think theres a way to fab up a bracket?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Do it yerself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

Rob has a new bracket and pulley setup ready that I developed and designed to slow the idler pullys, increases the belt wrap, and has a pulley brace too. I showed this (mod) too at the dragon.

Rob went further and made the brace out of stainless steel for strength. He is getting the kits together and will be processing them, but he's just a bit buzy with the supercoolers, the dual cai's, the pulley kit and the super separators, so we have to allow him to do his magic. Getting parts on line and stocked up is the bugga boo about all this stuff.

Woody

Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

nice set up Woody, I was looking at that as well...but, I agree a grade 8 will do just fine on that application...we have put them through worse situations...

Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by waldig

Rob went further and made the brace out of stainless steel for strength.

Woody
If I was to select a steel for strength, I would not start with a stainless steel. The common 300 series steels are quite brittle compared to some other cheaper steels. Stainless steel is selected for its resistance to corrosion to various elements and appearance in damp conditions.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Default Re: Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

dj can you look at the fotos i have posted? it seems the pulley directly next to the rad hose under the s/c pulley is larger than yours. this may be the issue i have been having.
i was finally able to install the diy wrap but my concern is the closeness of the belt going under 1 pulley and on top of the other. its so tight i believe the belot is actually touching itself as it wraps around. i would appreciate your opinion and anyone elses.

Last edited by 32krazy!; 01-01-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular

I can't really tell from that angle? can you get it so your right in front of the pulleys? If its rubbing you should see some wear marks on the belt.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM

its as close as i can get. if you enlarge the foto you can see how close it is.
after emailing back and forth with jturkel on the m/b forum its come to my attention dj has a 181 and different pulleys. his is smaller than my oem and c3 setup. thats the difference why i couldnt get the belt on in the beginning and now the tight issues. guess ill have to fork over more cash for the c3 setup as robs wont work with the c3 and stock pulleys.
its truley a shame because installed this setup with the oem pulleys and c3 gives the c3 about a 3/4 or better wrap!!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Forum Regular

Well you could always get the ribs shaved off of the pulley and make it flat that would give you the few MM you need for clearance. Just call a few local machine shops and see if anyone will machine it down for you.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Yep. That's close! ProjectMayhem's idea is a good one. It will provide a bit more clearance and slack on the belt.
My 181 pulley came with a smaller pulley for use where you are running the stock one under the SC. Measured it. Approx 2 & 3/8".

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
its as close as i can get. if you enlarge the foto you can see how close it is.
after emailing back and forth with jturkel on the m/b forum its come to my attention dj has a 181 and different pulleys. his is smaller than my oem and c3 setup. thats the difference why i couldnt get the belt on in the beginning and now the tight issues. guess ill have to fork over more cash for the c3 setup as robs wont work with the c3 and stock pulleys.
its truley a shame because installed this setup with the oem pulleys and c3 gives the c3 about a 3/4 or better wrap!!
Not to get picky but a 3/4 wrap is impossible with these size pulleys, the belt comes of tangentially, so a wrap of 3/4 would have the belt passing through itself. At 50% wrap the belt is parallel to itself anymore and it starts to meet itself at rapidly decreasing distances.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a look at your fotos, steve, and it is close. I need to look at mine but I recall thinking the same thing when I installed mine. I will post a pic of what my setup looks like, to compare. If you are thinking you will get belt to belt contact because of belt flex, don't worry. Our belt is stout enough to prevent lashing or flexing much more than a couple thousandths. Your tensioner will keep everything in place, especially if it is past the halfway point. A 3/4 wrap is about right for this setup as the belt starts its contact at about 6 and wraps to about 9:00. Even with this amount of wrap I still get some slippage from time to time, as I can still see black belt powder deposits. I do tend to "romp" on it while cruising around in traffic, grabbing attention that this torque monster deserves.

Somebody please post how well this works using the various pulley setups.
Like I said on my setup it's perfect.
It works great for my C3 setup, but I will be installing a bracket to back-up the tension to the new pulley.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
Well you could always get the ribs shaved off of the pulley and make it flat that would give you the few MM you need for clearance. Just call a few local machine shops and see if anyone will machine it down for you.
ill take it to a machine shop tommorrow and see what can be done

goodgenes has the same setup and isnt having issues so i may try it for a day or 2. i had it setup and running but felt it was to close for comfort

jason i have a bracket to support the pulley. its not as cool as robs but should work ok!

Last edited by 32krazy!; 09-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Not to get picky but a 3/4 wrap is impossible with these size pulleys, the belt comes of tangentially, so a wrap of 3/4 would have the belt passing through itself. At 50% wrap the belt is parallel to itself anymore and it starts to meet itself at rapidly decreasing distances.
i was just ballparking it. if you look at the first foto you will see its well over 50% wrap as it goes under the pulley before the s/c pulley around and the wrap is almost 3/4. not scientific but close

Quick Reply: Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25