Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Wondering what will total your SRT?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering what will total your SRT?

On Ebay for $15K
Seems like a lot considering that is probably trade in value for one without a salvage title.
If that is all it takes for an insurance company to total one of these then that is kinda scary. I've owned and seen cars wrecked much worse that were repaired. Seems like they could scrap an 05 NA for parts and come out ahead.
Moral of the story, drive carefully and defensively I guess.

Chrysler : Crossfire:eBay Motors (item 110412868400 end time Jul-16-09 11:14:01 PDT)

Old 07-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Wondering what will total your SRT?

Hmm i would'nt call that "totalled" or even give that a salvage title... more than likely... I'm betting that this car had a previous incident that gave it the salvage title that involved the frame of the car... It would be VERY beneficial to see the carfax on this car...

Old 07-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've often wondered how little of an accident would "total out" the SRT-6. I would suggest not getting it because the price is to high for a problem car from the start.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Forum Regular

The description says "no frame damage." If that's true and all it needs are some body panels, it's not a bad deal.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the term total can be subjective. if damage occurs to the a-pillars or subframe its a total. if the cost of the repairs exceed the value of the ncar total. if the structual integrity of the car is comprimised total.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Forum Regular

If the structural integrity is not compromised and the insurance company calls it "totalled," I'd call it "a track car."

Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

~ that looks to be about a 6 - 8k repair imo.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3/18/2009 Accident reported.

5/14/2009 Headland AL 31,973 Motor Vehicle Dept
Title 40431314 Salvage
Possible Total Loss - Vehicle Title/Registered to an insurance company.

Vehicle has had 3 owners

Has current lien

Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 AM

That kind of looks like the same damage I had on my car when I got hit last year. I think it ended up being about $4500 in damage

Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Lets assume it is $8000 worth of damage, which is a big number, but this leads to some consculsions:
A) $8000 of damage will total your car to an insurance company, when replacement value is much higher for the moment.
B)It doesn't take much to do $8000 worth of damage. I don't know what kind of accident that was, sideswipe, other motorist backing into it, sliding sideways into something, but it looks like something that could happen pretty easily. Granted, just becuase our "Mercedes" didn't cost us $60K does not mean repairs will still not be expensive.

C) Could be that there really is $17-20,000 worth of damage there, which may be a worse consideration.

if the cost of the repairs exceed the value of the car: total.
That is what it means to me, the insurance company would rather write you a check for a new one than to pay to fix it. And do you think they gave him enough to buy a new SRT roadster after this wreck?
Or heaven forbid the guy just had liability, but then the car would still be his or the bank's and not the insurance company's right?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radmanly
The description says "no frame damage." If that's true and all it needs are some body panels, it's not a bad deal.

It's guaranteed to have "no frame damage".....................because the car doesn't have a frame. There are many ways to total(theft,salvage,structural,monetary,etc) a car out and it doesn't have to have any structural damages.

I had a Porsche 996 Carrera in my shop about a year ago that had minimal damages; needed a hood, fender, headlight, bumper and repairs to the front apron, and the insurance company salvage lossed the car. The owner was a ***** lawyer that was constantly sending us(the bodyshop) and the insurance company legal BS about how he would sue if it wasn't completely repainted............in his overeducated mind he thought the color couldn't possibly match otherwise.

I also just totalled(monetary loss) another Porsche 996 because the cost of the repairs; even though they were easy for me to perform, included so many EXPENSIVE parts that it was cheaper for the insurance company to cut a check to the owner and send the car to auction and recoup their losses there.

PS I have a Crossfire drivers' side fender in my back yard so all I'd need for that car was a door and repair whatever hidden damages are under that fender on the car.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
It's guaranteed to have "no frame damage".....................because the car doesn't have a frame. There are many ways to total(theft,salvage,structural,monetary,etc) a car out and it doesn't have to have any structural damages.
Huh? I'm confused. Lol I was pretty sure that the Xfires share the same uniframe as the R170 from Benz.

And yeah, different states will have different set percentages that will qualify your car to be totaled or not. I think here in Texas it is 80%, meaning if the damage on one of my cars exceeds 80% of its cash value, then it will be called a total loss. But it can be as low as 70% and as high as 100%. But just from what i see in this picture... this car is not totaled unless a prior incident occured, which carfax apparently said it did not have any other accidents etc. Soo if you want to lay down 6k+ in repairs in addition to its 15k sticker, for a SALVAGED car... I'd say your making a poor choice. Just dish out another 2k with the 15k you didnt spend on this salvaged car and go buy one that doesnt have all the problems.

Kolme

Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolme
Huh? I'm confused. Lol I was pretty sure that the Xfires share the same uniframe as the R170 from Benz.

And yeah, different states will have different set percentages that will qualify your car to be totaled or not. I think here in Texas it is 80%, meaning if the damage on one of my cars exceeds 80% of its cash value, then it will be called a total loss. But it can be as low as 70% and as high as 100%. But just from what i see in this picture... this car is not totaled unless a prior incident occured, which carfax apparently said it did not have any other accidents etc. Soo if you want to lay down 6k+ in repairs in addition to its 15k sticker, for a SALVAGED car... I'd say your making a poor choice. Just dish out another 2k with the 15k you didnt spend on this salvaged car and go buy one that doesnt have all the problems.

Kolme

Most; if not all, cars these days do not have frames..................they are of unitized body construction(aka unibody). Crossfires and the old 170 SLKs do share the same unibody platform. Trucks still use the body on frame design as they have from the beginning.

That car on ebay is in no way a good or even decent deal especially with the tainted title. Salvage cars that have been repaired already are lucky to be worth 60% of a clean cars value. If I were actually interested in the car I would offer them $6,000(plus shipping fees) and could fix the car myself for under $1,500 which would then make it a good buy.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are the costs for the airbags on a XF? may be a big part of the repair cost

Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Forum Regular

Year and a half ago, when my SRT6 was 5 days new to me, it was hit by another car. Cost to repair was $13k. Insurance wouldn't total it.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:16 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

2005 Chrysler Crossfire LTD Roadster with a salvage title

http://getwwa.com/cars/salvage/4a3abb5b98e9e Coupe with a salvage title

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1261344932.html Roadster with a salvage title

Last edited by BrianBrave; 07-13-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 PM

According to edmunds $14,279, with rough condition and $31K on it. If it was listed for $12,000-$13,000 might be a different story. Especially seeing how if you shop you can find a clean one for under $18,000.
-Steve
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEVEN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEVEN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STEVEN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Reliableron
What are the costs for the airbags on a XF? may be a big part of the repair cost
Very good question. I know the steering wheel airbag is around $1000 not including installation. The dash will be required to be replaced as well as the dash airbag. Probably another $2000 plus installation. I can see where and why they totaled the car. It is not worth 15k as a salvage title. Maybe 12k. If one doesn't care about the resale value down the line or they want to use the SRT as a race car, 12k would be good.

Again if the car is for you and you can do the bodywork, you could mostlikely find the airbags on ebay along with the dash and only have a 1k or 1 1/2 k in the car. But, it is a salvage title. resale value will be like a black cloud over the car.