Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Difference between ASP and EuroCharged 178 pulley kits?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Difference between ASP and EuroCharged 178 pulley kits?

So I read up on the possible options, and I think I'm going to go with the 178 setup.

There's a $100 price difference between the pulley kits in the title. What are the other differences?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Difference between ASP and EuroCharged 178 pulley kits?

The ASP crank pulley is made from a stock crank pulley and is dampened. The EC is their customed made crank pulley with no dampner. You can research on MBWorld.org whether the crank pulley should be dampened and form your own opinion. It's half and half. Something to do with the vibration. The other pulleys in the kit are basically the same. ASP uses a steel water pump pulley, EC uses a strong aluminum. The ASP and EC idler pulley only differences are that the EC has an upgraded bearing to withstand the rpms that the 181 and 185 crank pulleys demand. As long as your staying with the 178 your in a win win situation. Just add a needswings intake and inmotion tune and your good for low 12's.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let me preface this by saying i have neither of the 178 pullys . by simply looking at the websites the biggest difference i see is the eurocharged 178 is a non dampend pulley and the asp is a reworked m/b dampened pulley.
both are underdrive pulleys. this is why i went with a c3 but if i had to pick one i would want the factory dampened pulley. just my .02 and the 3rd option of course is the c3 pulley. approx the same power as the 178 but no changes to the acc pulleys or crank, just a s/c pulley change

Last edited by 32krazy!; 09-05-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
The ASP crank pulley is made from a stock crank pulley and is dampened. The EC is their customed made crank pulley with no dampner. You can research on MBWorld.org whether the crank pulley should be dampened and form your own opinion. It's half and half. Something to do with the vibration. The other pulleys in the kit are basically the same. ASP uses a steel water pump pulley, EC uses a strong aluminum. The ASP and EC idler pulley only differences are that the EC has an upgraded bearing to withstand the rpms that the 181 and 185 crank pulleys demand. As long as your staying with the 178 your in a win win situation. Just add a needswings intake and inmotion tune and your good for low 12's.
ALL of our pullies are mechanically dampened. We have NEVER sold a non-dampened pulley nor has LET in the past.

There is a clutch assembly in the pulley itself, the actual pulley (any of ours) is actually made up of a ton of internal pieces including a clutch, not one solid piece.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 PM
TVT_DESIGN

We've installed both and from experience have to recommend the LET/Eurocharged pulley. The crank pulley is a much lighter weight design and engineered from scratch to eliminate any known flaws with the stock design.

The C3 is also a good option, but I prefer machining down the stock pulley to your desired size.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Forum Regular

Your info is wrong LET/Euro charged pullies are dampened, they are done internally with a spring and clutch design. ASP takes a standard crank pullies and re-rings them with a pressed in rubber damper.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:23 PM

The ASP crank pulley is made from a stock crank pulley and is dampened. The EC is their customed made crank pulley with no dampner...
Originally Posted by EUROCHARGED
ALL of our pullies are mechanically dampened...
While it is obviously any member’s prerogative to sing the praises of his preferred vendors, one should at least have the decency to post factual information prior to speculating about another highly-regarded sponsor’s hardware. I suspect most reasonable men would likely agree. Not busting your *****, Evan.

Incidentally, my evosport 178mm ODPS harmonic damper/accessory drive is mechanically dampened.
No antiquated failure-prone OEM elastomer here...

evosportDampened.jpg

Perhaps we’ll have a chance to catch up when you, chiromikey, jturkel and hooleyboy head this west later this year.
Know your 11’s will decimate my taxi, but I’d certainly enjoy the chance to swap war stories and witness your machine in action at the ‘strip. :D

Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 PM

let me clarify that i only took a quick look at the websites before posting. it appeared that the eurocharged was a solid pulley. i apologize to jake and the op for any misinfo i presented.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
let me clarify that i only took a quick look at the websites before posting. it appeared that the eurocharged was a solid pulley. i apologize to jake and the op for any misinfo i presented.
Same here. Bill see how good an explanation you get when I post. It brings out all the members of the CQuick haters club. I'm surprised none of them even called me out saying the larger pulley is better than the 178. My info was incorrect but my numbers are not. They sure are quiet when I'm right. Especially when I say my car is faster with my 178 than any 185 out there. I always challenge their crew to hit the track and continue to raise the bar for our cars. Sorry I spilled it over to your post. So with all that information above only differences is that EC's pulley has a ton of pieces inside including a clutch and the ASP has no pieces, just the pulley. Splinters 178 from evosport is another option. Not sure the cost though.

32krazy- there is no way a sc pulley is giving you the same as the 178. If it was there would be someone with a sc pulley in the 11's already. The lowest is 12.11's and that was like -250' negative DA. It's close though and enough power for 90% of crossfire owners. I would of bought one if there wasn't issues with them in the very beginning, and it wasn't so much the pulley just the delivery. With normal driving on the street I don't think one would notice the difference. I agree from the stand point of cost and ease of installation, especially if you need a shop to do the install to go with the SC pulley. For a track monster go with the 178.

Splinter- Almost made it out there this past friday, but Mikey's car wasn't ready until too late. We're shooting for October and hoping for sub 1000' DA. Don't underestimate your car. We have horrible DA and our cars are just slower due to weather. Would be great to see what your car can do. Were looking to hit Sacramento before Famoso. Then this December I'm hoping to repeat my event from last year at Speedworld in AZ. Were all slower here, and it's always fun. If enough interest we'll do a full track rental and bracket race.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Difference between ASP and EuroCharged 178 pulley kits?

Gee a long weekend and Splinter is back, what a great day it is, good to see ya, Woody

Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 AM

Same here. Bill see how good an explanation you get when I post. It brings out all the members of the CQuick haters club. I'm surprised none of them even called me out saying the larger pulley is better than the 178. My info was incorrect but my numbers are not. They sure are quiet when I'm right. Especially when I say my car is faster with my 178 than any 185 out there. I always challenge their crew to hit the track and continue to raise the bar for our cars. Sorry I spilled it over to your post. So with all that information above only differences is that EC's pulley has a ton of pieces inside including a clutch and the ASP has no pieces, just the pulley. Splinters 178 from evosport is another option. Not sure the cost though.

32krazy- there is no way a sc pulley is giving you the same as the 178. If it was there would be someone with a sc pulley in the 11's already. The lowest is 12.11's and that was like -250' negative DA. It's close though and enough power for 90% of crossfire owners. I would of bought one if there wasn't issues with them in the very beginning, and it wasn't so much the pulley just the delivery. With normal driving on the street I don't think one would notice the difference. I agree from the stand point of cost and ease of installation, especially if you need a shop to do the install to go with the SC pulley. For a track monster go with the 178.

Splinter- Almost made it out there this past friday, but Mikey's car wasn't ready until too late. We're shooting for October and hoping for sub 1000' DA. Don't underestimate your car. We have horrible DA and our cars are just slower due to weather. Would be great to see what your car can do. Were looking to hit Sacramento before Famoso. Then this December I'm hoping to repeat my event from last year at Speedworld in AZ. Were all slower here, and it's always fun. If enough interest we'll do a full track rental and bracket race.
again having never run a 178 i cant say for certain that the 178 is a better pulley BUT the consensus is that the c3 and the 178 are fairly close.
i agree with youon the customer service end which is why i got my c3 used from a reputable guy. im waiting on a intake to redyno but its a torque monster now thats for sure!
ill let you know in oct how it performs! not looking for sub 12's but ill take them if i can get it to hook

Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 AM

And the Pulley debate goes on and on...

@cruzinquick
No question, great times on the 1/4 mile with your 178mm.
Still I am very interested in the times 178mm / 181mm /185mm for one MILE, or a 60-170 MPH run, to compare it with my times I showed in my video...

This would be great

P.S.:

Stock is 155mm : 74mm = 2,09 Ratio

C3 is : 155mm:65mm = 2,38 Ratio
Needswings ASP : 178mm:74mm = 2,41 Ratio
EC/LET 185mm:74mm = 2,5 Ratio
TVT Custom 178mm:69mm = 2,58 Ratio
192mm:74mm = 2,60 Ratio
192mm:65mm = 2,95 Ratio

Last edited by SLK32Germany; 09-27-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

yep, this pulley debate will never end...Slk...I did a 0-160 run with the C3, without a tune. in 9/10ths of a mile, just info.....haven't repeated it since the tune though...but my facination is watching everyone's mods, and times...if you run slicks, you gain a little, mani's, you gain a little...I think you just do the mods that make you happy for what you will use the car for....but for all out racing, drag racing I should say, you have to do what will gain you every 1/10th of a second...and that gets expensive....I will be happy to just get to the low 12's...but if I wanted to chase the 11's, I certainly could with more $$$$

Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SLK32Germany
C3 is : 155mm:65mm = 2,38 Ratio
ASP : 178mm:74mm = 2,41 Ratio
EC/LET 185mm:74mm = 2,5 Ratio
My Custom Setup 178mm:71mm = 2,51 Ratio
Always forgetting us 192 guys!

192mm : 74mm = 2.60 Ratio
192mm : 65mm = 2.95 Ratio

Old 09-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Forum Regular

That club seems to be growing at a very fast rate, where is the sign up sheet for new members???

Old 09-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tighed1

Since there are multiple posts about ratios ... how do you compute them and is there an equation between ratios and boost (not just higher ratio = more max boost)

what is the stock ratio?

Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
again having never run a 178 i cant say for certain that the 178 is a better pulley BUT the consensus is that the c3 and the 178 are fairly close.
i agree with youon the customer service end which is why i got my c3 used from a reputable guy. im waiting on a intake to redyno but its a torque monster now thats for sure!
ill let you know in oct how it performs! not looking for sub 12's but ill take them if i can get it to hook
Wit hequally modded cars, we've seen an average of 12 more RWHP with the 178 vs C3.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Wit hequally modded cars, we've seen an average of 12 more RWHP with the 178 vs C3.
Have you custom machine down the stock supercharger pulley to a level which gives equal rwhp as the 178? Or is the C3 size the lowest to safely go (if so, for what reason)?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
That club seems to be growing at a very fast rate, where is the sign up sheet for new members???
Actually timeslips are required to apply officially. Otherwise your still another bystander.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1

I'm sorry... Was not aware, that some guys went even with such a big pulley.

Quick Reply: Difference between ASP and EuroCharged 178 pulley kits?