Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Eurocharged CAA Dyno Results

Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Eurocharged CAA Dyno Results

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I get it. But since torque is what moves the car great improvements in torque, which the Eurocharged guys seem to have unlocked, means great improvments in performace.
So perhaps we need to stop talking about gains in HP?

roadster with a stick
I went through all this confusion after I first got my tune done and wanted to understand the dyno graph and exactly what was the relationship between torque, horsepower and acceleration for a car. I did a bunch of searching on google and a lot of reading. I bookmarked a page that goes into greater depth on the relationships.

Here is the page I saved: Horsepower vs torque

Old 07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyJames
Torque gets you going---Hp keeps you going. The old saying explain it like this---Hp is how hard you hit the wall; torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Certainly. But most of us aren't running High Speed Trials at Bonneville. We are drag racing, or road course racing or just driving aggressively in traffic.

We depend on Torque.

Frankly, torque is the spunk of the Crossfire which makes it such fun to drive.

So again I say, why aren't we talking more about torque values than HP?

roadster with a stick

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by loungn14
Hey guys! Cool that you guys always bring up things that you don't understand, unlike some of the MB folks who just act like they know what's going on. A simple question and a lot of others can gain some valuable information!

Let's take this example.

The red line represents the stock run, and the blue line is the tuned after run!

Now, the top pair of colored lines is torque to the wheels, the bottom is horsepower to the wheels.

Now, numbers are just that numbers. Never look at dyno results on products and expect your car to do the same thing. The same car will dyno different numbers based on the environment (temperature/humidity) and day! Drive your srt out on a nice cool fall day, then drive it during late july and it will be noticeably different!

Our dyno is what is called a load bearing dyno (dyno dynamics) We chose this brand over others like a dynojet as when the car is run, the dyno places a load on the wheels to simulate the car running on the street. This way, when tuning the car, you will get the same performance on the street as the dyno! Not all dyno's are the same, and you can't compare results from one to the next. My car will put down 50whp more on a dynojet then our dynod. Numbers are just that, numbers. Can you feel a difference? Does the car perform differently at the track? Do you run lower et on the 1/4 mile? (with a 30wtq difference you definitely will)

Now, back to the graph.

Most people compare max to max when looking at numbers. What you really need to look at is the difference between the graphs at the various rpm ranges on the bottom (ramp)

In the posted graph let's look at the torque curve on the top. Look at around 2500 rpm. (just left of the B in BRAKE) You will notice that stock is around 165wtq. Now look at the tuned graph. Torque is now at 194ish. That quite a gain (approx 30wtq) at the beginning of the rpm band, when you're really getting into her, and very noticeable on the butt dyno. In the tunes, we also change things like the red line limit (bump it up), modify shift points, and modify fueling in that you actually will see a gain in mpg post tune. We do other things as well, but that should give you a good idea to start with.

Yes, technically there is a formula for calculating hp/torque. But, with simple changes in the programming of the car, we can alter the way the car performs. For example, lets take a car with a hp of 200 and torque of 200 on the dyno. I can remove some fuel and modify timing and increase the hp by 20hp, and then make some other changes and keep the torque the same while maintaining the increase in hp. By the formula, the reading should be the same, but it definitely is not.

We always assume 18-20% drive train loss in the cars, under ideal conditions. But, when you add miles to the car, things do change. Now add in the fact that two srt6 hand built engines can dyno within 15whp of each other stock for stock from the factory. Not every car is the same!

Make sense?
This is an excellent breakdown, thank you!

Guess I need to start saving my pennies for a Chicago trip soon... I'd like a tune, but I want it to be "dyno tuned" to compensate for the uniqeness of the motor. As you said, two of the "same" engines can be very different in how they behave.

The extra 30 RWTQ would be awesome for me, especially at that 2500 rpm range. After all, in my coupe, when I'm on the interstate at 70-75 mph, the tach stays around 2500 RPM.

In the twisties, it would be a freaking blast.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

nice Jake....car is back together...we need to discuss the mod I spoke of in St. Louis, before I schedule my dyno tune...I will give you a call...dealing with family matters this week, but maybe by late weekend, I can get free to call...

Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 PM

Eurocharged Custom Srt6 Tune
VIN: 059088- John

Jake please give me your interpretation of my graph. Why do I show the lowest Max HP (258) of all the SRT 6s and don't tell me "somebody's gotta be lowest. I'm curious as to the reason for it. 'splain me please my lines.

John P
FTroopChief

Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe you drive like a granny? The PCM does learn your driving style. I don't have a real answer for you but I've been on several dyno's and have numbers from 219 to 288 hp. What matters is how the car performs. I was devastated by my numbers but I know the car is wicked fast and the tires can't handle more than what I have anyway. But its always possible that you have a weaker motor than most. That was my big fear. I had to outrun a few Porsches at the track before I began to chill about the numbers. I hate dyno's. If the tires slip a bit the numbers are low. If the motor is iced the numbers are high. If the motor is hot the numbers are low. My head hurts. I would concentrate on the improvement for sanity's sake and forget the highest number.

Les

Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Maybe you drive like a granny? The PCM does learn your driving style. I don't have a real answer for you but I've been on several dyno's and have numbers from 219 to 288 hp. What matters is how the car performs. I was devastated by my numbers but I know the car is wicked fast and the tires can't handle more than what I have anyway. But its always possible that you have a weaker motor than most. That was my big fear. I had to outrun a few Porsches at the track before I began to chill about the numbers. I hate dyno's. If the tires slip a bit the numbers are low. If the motor is iced the numbers are high. If the motor is hot the numbers are low. My head hurts. I would concentrate on the improvement for sanity's sake and forget the highest number.

Les
Thanks Les. I really don't think it's wimpy driving. I got an 86 in a 70 a couple months ago, and Barney Rubble gave me a 76 in a 65 last year. I don't smoke but can burn away from a light. I do think the blower was a problem in that it was overheating and the engine was shut down for cooling in the middle. My checkbook really is the culprit in wanting me to get an answer. Lot of money for a lowball reading if this was the case. I assumed my dual exhaust gave me a little bump. (?) RPM showed fairly well. Haven't run the strip yet. Hate to get a 1000 mile towing bill, and San Antonio is hot hot hot right now. Thanks anyway--
John P
ftroopChief

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0709.JPG (612.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
Eurocharged Custom Srt6 Tune
VIN: 059088- John

Jake please give me your interpretation of my graph. Why do I show the lowest Max HP (258) of all the SRT 6s and don't tell me "somebody's gotta be lowest. I'm curious as to the reason for it. 'splain me please my lines.

John P
FTroopChief
what are your mods compared to the others'?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by billvp
what are your mods compared to the others'?
Good Point! besides the Sprint Booster, which is no power increase, my only mods are the K&N filters and the dual exhausts from the rear cats back to magnaflo mufflers. I will check others.
Thanks!
John P
FTroopChief

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0708 full shot.JPG (389.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Forum Regular

Not from CAA event but it was done by Eurocharged last summer after the modifications were done and on the "heartbreaker". Wish i could of had Jerry put his hands on it to see if he could improve on tony's .

Was stock vs new tune.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem

Not from CAA event but it was done by Eurocharged last summer after the modifications were done and on the "heartbreaker". Wish i could of had Jerry put his hands on it to see if he could improve on tony's .

Was stock vs new tune.
My little roadster has the "wayne" tune....and I will keep that tune...it was checked later on, and we didn't change a thing....
Maybe I can dig him up for another tune....but, I think Jake will do fine once the bs is taken care of....

Old 08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem

Was stock vs new tune.
i have tony's tune and dont think you can improve on it unless you modd more
2009-12dec.jpg

Old 02-12-2011, 03:38 PM

how much hp did it add to your stock