Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Wobble wobble wobble...

Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble wobble wobble...

Hey so I've replaced my ic pump and now I noticed my srt6 w/38000 miles has a pulley wobble. It's the crank pulley and I think the belt tensioner pulley too.

Is this normal? Doesn't seem like a bad wobble just kind ofna slight wobble. Please let me know, the crossfire is my baby and I wantnto make sure she's okay.

Also my idle has been lumpy as hell. Not all the time but sitting at a light I'll notice it will idle with small bumps andnsuch coming through the gas pedal and shifter lever.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Wobble wobble wobble....

Easy way to tell if it's not just dirt and actual wobble on the pulleys is to take a piece of stiff cardboard or a wooden ruler and lean them against the running pulley slowly and pointing away from the direction of rotation (Don't want it launching into you!) and as you move it in... if there is a true wobble you will hear the tell tale tick-tick-tick against your test 'stick'. Old paint stirring sticks work too.

If you have a wobble, time to get those pulleys pulled and checked or see if they are just loose. As to the tensioner or idle pulley, this could be a sign of bad bearings.

This MAY be the cause of your odd idle, but I'd get the wobble taken care of first and then see if the odd idle is still there. If so, then you can begin to actually track it down without worrying that it's the wobble that's causing it.

Hope that helps...

Old 07-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Actually that's very helpful. When i get home I'll my paint stick and slowly edge it towards the pulley.

The ting I'm have a hard time figuring is whether or not the pulley is dirty and looks like a wobble or if the motor is just shaking and appearing to wobble the pulley.

Let's say I need to replace the pulley(crank) do you know the part # and cost?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Old 07-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think your stressing over nothing. The sound and the pulleys appear normal to me. The lumpy idle is most likely a slight vacuum leak somewhere. The only pulley wobbles I know of are from aftermarket installations gone wrong. If you suspect a bad bearing you could take the belt off and check all the rotating parts to find the culprit.

Les

Old 07-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Les... your crank pulley looks fine. I would just take the belt off the tensioner and hand spin all the pulleys to make sure the bearings are good... and tight. There should be NO roughness or growling. The idler and tensioner pulleys are the same part number. Typically the bearings go on these or the water pump first from what I have seen on here...

The only pulley I have lost, literally, was my tensioner pulley.... but I am not quite stock....

Old 07-02-2011, 03:13 PM

The video didnt come out as well as I had hoped. The light was not ideal.

But if you guys say that im being paranoid ill take you word for it.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Could one of you possibly tell me the tools ill need and how to remove the belt? Ive worked on alot of cars but this is my first supercharged vehicle.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM

I used a long breaker bar with the E10 Torx on the tensioner bolt and it was easy. Just be sure to get it securely on the bolt. Some people have stripped it by slipping off it.

Here's a video of a bad pulley for you to compare.

YouTube - ‪W211 E55 Pulley Wobble‬‏

Les

Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Holy crap that video was bad lol. Im glad my wobble isnt like that. Do these motors have a issue with their pulleys?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:27 PM

That video was of an E55. Our cars don't have an issue with the stock crank pulley that I'm aware of. The problem occurs with the installation of a 178, 181 or 185. If it's not installed or torqued correctly it will loosen up and wobble like crazy or strip the key off the crank snout. I've read of failures of the idler pulley and perhaps the water pump pulley but those were mostly on cars with a Code3, 178, 181 or 185, in other words, not stock.

Les

Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, your crank looks solid to me. I would say look into vacuum leak first, then on to fuel system flush next. Also, don't forget to make sure all plug wires are secure on both ends, we do have TWELVE you know.

If you give the car just a touch of gas when it's idle is rough, does it clear up after? If so, it is probably vacuum as stated OR dirty injectors. Either way, easy fixes.

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 PM

With my windows rolled up I can hear the engine stumble and the rpm needle just bairly will drop and pick up again. Its almost invisible unless your really looking at it.

If I tap the gas just a bit it goes away and its not at every stop I Jake only 30% of the time it will idle in a lumpy way.

Anybody have a diagram of the vacuum lines And whats the best fuel injerctor cleaner to use? Thanks for all the replies you guys are solid awesome.