Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Water Leaks

Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water Leaks

i just went thru the water leaks PROBLEM... i had about 4'' to 5'' water witch was high enough to soak the elect. parts in that area ..i was lucky and found a used elect.unit to install but repairs of leaks and all was still around $1,200.00 ... the dodge dealer that fixed the leaks told me if they get a recall for the leaks they will refund me and all others ...this is happing to a lot of cars and if we all complain to CHRYSLER maybe a recall is possible....the srt-6 should not have that Meany leaks something was not done right when they put them together,poor materials or ???......... INPUT PLEASE?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Water Leaks

Originally Posted by fastfred
i just went thru the water leaks PROBLEM... i had about 4'' to 5'' water witch was high enough to soak the elect. parts in that area ..i was lucky and found a used elect.unit to install but repairs of leaks and all was still around $1,200.00 ... the dodge dealer that fixed the leaks told me if they get a recall for the leaks they will refund me and all others ...this is happing to a lot of cars and if we all complain to CHRYSLER maybe a recall is possible....the srt-6 should not have that Meany leaks something was not done right when they put them together,poor materials or ???......... INPUT PLEASE?
I went through leak problems too, although most of mine were caused by previous owners bending the back of the car and when they tried to repair it, they didn't even bother to install the gasket that goes under the wing panel. I also had leaks from the gas filler area, the flex hose between the top of the car and the rear hatch and the gasket that goes all the way around the hatch. Leaks everywhere. But, I have also read about this wing leak problem w/a lot of other SRT owners. I have even seen other SRT's that I've looked at before I purchased mine that had obvious water problems. Some have said that the gasket in this area gets old or moves so it either breaks or is no longer where it should be. Leaks. I agree, it probably is not a very well designed seal, but you would be paddling up stream to get Chrysler to do anything about it. The production numbers are way too small for them to care + they have moved on since they are now part of Fiat. Unfortunatly I believe we will just have to deal w/it. I think if it properly fixed, it should last. Fingers crossed. Mine were repaired by a good body shop and I was able to find parts for pennies on the $ on the internet and this forum. Saved me big $$ since I had a lot more leaks than just the one from the wing area. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

well, now that the weather is breaking for the good, I quess I had better add this to the "to do" list...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

The following pictures show the water marks where water has got past the seal. Once past the seal the water can start to cause damage. Grip Grips photo shows a poorly placed seal from the factory. In neither photo should there be water stains on the bottom flat shelf, as the seal is closer to the Chrysler emblem.

My car.

Photo by Grip Grip.

Photo by fastfunfor2

Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT I HAD A FEELING IT IS A UP HILL BATTLE BUT YOU NEVER KNOW FOR SURE UNLESS YOU TRY.....so i thought i would throw it out there and see what others thought....

Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

A brother Crossfire owner came over today with a few issues with his car. To change out the center brake light on a roadster, you must remove the wing and mounting panel. The light is actually sandwiched between the deck lid and the mounting plate for the wing.

First off, only 2 o-rings were found on the 4 studs. You can see the plate had some leakage all the way around. The original seal was not pressed very tight. After we cleaned everything up, we resealed the perimeter area with a double strip of rope chalk. Also placed a layer under wing stand-offs. Coated all metal areas with some antiseize compound. This something everyone should get checked out, whether SRT or NA. James

Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
A brother Crossfire owner came over today with a few issues with his car. To change out the center brake light on a roadster, you must remove the wing and mounting panel. The light is actually sandwiched between the deck lid and the mounting plate for the wing.

First off, only 2 o-rings were found on the 4 studs. You can see the plate had some leakage all the way around. The original seal was not pressed very tight. After we cleaned everything up, we resealed the perimeter area with a double strip of rope chalk. Also placed a layer under wing stand-offs. Coated all metal areas with some antiseize compound. This something everyone should get checked out, whether SRT or NA. James
I used the rope caulking on my test to see the thickness that the gasket had to be. I left it for a day and found that it stuck like crazy, it all came of in one piece attached to the panel. If I had left it for a long while it may never have came off. Anyone using a silicone caulking from a tube will not get the panel off and if wrongly sloped will hold water in any dips.

I suspect that water leaks past the top part of the seal and can then get to the bottom and drain out past the ill fitting seal at the bottom. Mine only leaked inside when an ice storm blocked the bottom and the water backed up and went down the hatch latch. There was no sign of water having been in the trunk before. Luckily there was not a lot of water but it had made it way to the bulkhead area and gone down to the first step of the well. Water sits in the flat area behind the wing logo with no slope to exit down. The top part of the seal should be sloped to enable the water to escape to each side.

My comments are applicable to the coupe, but in general can apply to the roadster.