Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

No more street racing for me.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: No more street racing for me.

just be honest, the judge may like sporty cars. Tell him/her you were excited to have a day out in the sports car, no traffic, so you romped on it. Don't mention the other guy, he can tell his own story. You didn't even think you were going any where near that speed.... Work keeps you from enjoying it most days... Well, at least that is my story...and it is kind of true....lol

Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy
no reckless on the ticket. Only speed. And what kind of story? Never done this before
Where are you located?

Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Where are you located?
He said
Greene county ohio. My next door neighbor is not a prosecutor. Anyone want to guess what this will cost me?
That's about 30-40 miles east of Dayton, I used to skydive there when in classes in Dayton for NCR.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advertisement? For a Nisson? Is this something new?
I've seen them on other forums...like the GTO.

Anyway's, as already mentioned (and I know it's water under the bridge) but I'm extra careful around holiday's and usually stay home on New Years Eve.

Edit: now the ad's gone. weird.

Last edited by The Beep; 07-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You got stopped by an Ohio Highway Patrol Trooper for doing 133 mph and didn't get shot???
Consider yourself lucky.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck with the ticket.. I've always gotten mine thrown out or down to the minimum but it definitely hurts for a while after on the insurance

Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM

no reckless on the ticket. Only speed. And what kind of story? Never done this before
Can't speak for the judges/courts in your area, but, I don't know of many judges that would mitigate your violation based on a "story." Most judges have heard it all before. Imagine a teacher hearing "the dog ate my homework." What many will do is work with you to keep the violation from destroying your driver's history and insurance premiums.

Unless you had a passenger who was holding a gun to your head, ordering you to speed, I can't imagine a "story" that would help. In reality there are almost no legitimate reasons for speeding. (As a cop, I can't think of any.)

In court, what will help, at least down here, is a clean driver's history, demonstrated remorse, courtesy towards the judge and a heartfelt plea for leniency. Be honest and sincere (though I don't think I would say "yup, I was racing"). If you pose questions to the issuing officer, DO NOT impugn their integrity.

Don't expect to get out of the ticket, but do ask the judge for some combination of fine and/or driver's school, etc. that will keep the points off your license and possibly keep the ticket off your driver's record.

Of course, you could just pay the damn thing...

Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

I'd take Doc''s advice over any others.

Otherwise, I like the "hey judge, sorry about this, I got carried away and did not THINK, just was enjoying the car and certainly meant no harm" idea.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Now that I see post 27... his advice is close to Doc's, isn't it?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by rfourt
Can't speak for the judges/courts in your area, but, I don't know of many judges that would mitigate your violation based on a "story." Most judges have heard it all before. Imagine a teacher hearing "the dog ate my homework." What many will do is work with you to keep the violation from destroying your driver's history and insurance premiums.

Unless you had a passenger who was holding a gun to your head, ordering you to speed, I can't imagine a "story" that would help. In reality there are almost no legitimate reasons for speeding. (As a cop, I can't think of any.)

In court, what will help, at least down here, is a clean driver's history, demonstrated remorse, courtesy towards the judge and a heartfelt plea for leniency. Be honest and sincere (though I don't think I would say "yup, I was racing"). If you pose questions to the issuing officer, DO NOT impugn their integrity.

Don't expect to get out of the ticket, but do ask the judge for some combination of fine and/or driver's school, etc. that will keep the points off your license and possibly keep the ticket off your driver's record.

Including the new, additional $100-$150 "court fees" that were recently added to the mix?

Just another tax, in my view...

Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I'd take Doc''s advice over any others.

Otherwise, I like the "hey judge, sorry about this, I got carried away and did not THINK, just was enjoying the car and certainly meant no harm" idea.
That's pretty close to my thinkin'-dangerous! I stressed the "not thinking" part to the trooper that caught me. I'm sure he agreed!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rfourt

I hate to tell you this, but judges are human too. They have a gift to just know when you are lying. I call it experience. You don't get to talk, you get to answer questions. He won't get to just pay it, as he will have to appear, and answer the questions posed to him. So, a story, no, good answers, yes..... And no, I was drag racing wouldn't be the right answer.... AS a cop here, I like our judges...they are usually fair if honest answers are given, especially if your record is clean. Good luck to you, but be honest short of "yes, your honor, I was drag racing." LOL.... And yes, Ohio is the worse state for speeding citations...as their Highway Patrol is just traffic enforcement...unlike here....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 07-04-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM

well we will know on the 13th. My record is clean so I hope he/she will give me some leniency. I may check with an attorney but I see that costing as much or more than the fine

Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 PM

well we will know on the 13th. My record is clean so I hope he/she will give me some leniency. I may check with an attorney but I see that costing as much or more than the fine
My 1st advise was an atty, as I thought there were multiple charges. Looks like only the airplane saw you and the other car, so you just were cited for speed, and warned for the speed contest. That still can come up if the judge asks. That is why I would answer the way I suggested. Like, what other guy? Good luck... Nice thing about that is, I am sure this court has seen a lot high speeds given it's alone I-70...but, you were well above the average of 80...lol...

Old 07-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Airplanes use vascar, as that is the only means to measure your speed. That is why she didn't charge you, the plane saw it, not her....
Let me get this straight. When I pass the signs that say "Speed checked by plane" ( or something to that effect ) those are real? I always thought that was just a ridiculous attempt to scare idiots into slowing down... Looks like I'm the idiot after all.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry about Your misfortune Daddy. But have no fear You are not #1! I got Popped 2 Years ago for 140 in a 75. The local exotic car club rolled By the Cle Elum entrance as I was merging on. I caught them easily, and the airplane caught Us all just as easily! We got cited for reckless and competition! Ouch!

All 14 of us showed up with Lawyers and good intentions. It was lunchtime. and the Judge commented on never seeing this many pretty Suits in Her courtroom. She Then stood up and asked If any of Us Ferrari, Lamborghini drivingYahoos were not prepared to Buy Our way out of this. To which We all replied No! She then declared doing Her fiscal duty to the county and fined Us each $1,500 and defered charges for a Year. And Off to lunch She went!

We were all very Happy!

I did not point out that mine was not a ferrari.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Here in Florida it would be very expensive. The fine for 50+ over the limit is $1000! That alone slowed me down quite a bit. I'd say not being arrested at that speed is pretty damn good.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by MetalMilitiaSRT
Let me get this straight. When I pass the signs that say "Speed checked by plane" ( or something to that effect ) those are real? I always thought that was just a ridiculous attempt to scare idiots into slowing down... Looks like I'm the idiot after all.
I know IL and Ohio still use planes. IN sold theirs....thank goodness... So yes, they are real, and when you see those large white hash marks across the highway, about 1000' apart, usually 3 in a row...those are marks for vascar... They time the distance between those marks.... I used this method for years when still on the road. VASCAR is just a box that calcs speed, much like using a stop watch...it just does it quicker... No radar detectors will work... WE used to place a few orange cones out 1000' apart... pretty neat setup, still used today in some states. They have went to LIDAR here for the most part...

Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
What have you been smoking? I have written a lot of bike riders on crotch rockets, but of course I owned one too...lol. If you run, you go to jail....so most just pull over.... Something about that radio....traveling at the speed of light....
Radio only works if there's another car up ahead. I've missed plenty of tickets by just staying on the throttle (and taking the next exit, and a couple of turns after).

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Radio only works if there's another car up ahead. I've missed plenty of tickets by just staying on the throttle (and taking the next exit, and a couple of turns after).
Remember that our cars don't exactly blend in with the masses...

Unless you live in a Florida, the number of Crossfires in any given city is probably less than five. All they have to do is issue an APB for your car, and... cuffs.

Even assuming you successfully evade, you have been driving at break-neck speeds while keeping your eye predominately on the rear-view.

I've seen too many "America's Most Dangerous Chases" videos -- that's normally the moment when the minivan pulls out in front of the fugitive doing 90+ mph.

I've been pulled over four times in my Crossfires -- three times in my Limited, once in my SRT. None of the instances were crazy speeds, just the basic fifteen-over "oops" moments. I normally know I'm busted because the lights blip on and the car starts to creep out of its hiding spot.

Each time, I've done the following:
  • Pull over immediately, even before the officer gives chase.
  • Windows down
  • Ignition OFF
  • Key on dash
  • Hands on wheel at the 10-and-2 until officer arrives
  • Once license and registration is requested, THEN I retrieve the documents, in full sight.
  • "No sir, wasn't aware of exact speed. Yes sir, I agree to slow it down a bit"
So far, not one time has resulted in a ticket. I have been very fortunate, last "warning" was 85 in a 60 (construction zone, officer was behind me in an unmarked '99 Taurus. Speed wasn't clocked, he paced me).

Evading is simply the worst advice I've seen. Period. Even if you escape, things have a way of catching up to you.

Quick Reply: No more street racing for me.