Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT 6 exhaust

Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT 6 exhaust

Hi there

I am new to the forum and have recently bought myself an SRT-6 .

Whilst the car is splendidly quick, i do find the exhaust a little muted for my taste and would like something louder.....

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer who sells performance exhaust parts for the SRT-6 such as a different muffler or centre pipe? I am not mechanically minded but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. There does not seem to be much in the way of parts avaiable in the UK.

Many thanks

Dave

Last edited by Davidfaz13; 04-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: SRT 6 exhaust

magnaflow makes a cat back system that does not increase HP, but makes a lot of noise,don't know this first-hand that's what's on the forum. Most don't here have removed the rear cats,, if that's not enough you can remove the resonator,, by doing those two you will have a nice tone without the drone, good luck.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if the 6's exhaust note is different than the NA.. but youtube has several exhaust clips.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I recommend Rob's downpipes with or without cutouts. With the cutouts closed, my car is noticeably louder without any drone whatsoever. These downpipes eliminate all 4 cats, but I haven't gotten any codes thanks to the design.

NeedsWings SRT6 Cat Delete Downpipes
NeedsWings SRT6 Cutout downpipes

Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will second that recomendation. With the cutouts open animals and small children will be certain to move out of your way.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Forum Regular

Haha I second Jim I've witnessed it, it's a scary noise.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Many thanks gents.

I live in Guernsey (off the coast of France) and getting some parts from the UK is difficult and I may have to get them shipped from the States.

Sonnds like removing the cats may be a good idea and the downpipes look very good. Either way, the intention is to scare the elderly, young children and of course my pets so I am please to have a solution .

Cheers!

Dave

Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Davidfaz13
...the intention is to scare the elderly, young children and of course my pets so I am please to have a solution .

If you really want to menace them, remove the cutout covers and they'll definitely fear you.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grip grip
I recommend Rob's downpipes with or without cutouts. With the cutouts closed, my car is noticeably louder without any drone whatsoever. These downpipes eliminate all 4 cats, but I haven't gotten any codes thanks to the design.

NeedsWings SRT6 Cat Delete Downpipes
NeedsWings SRT6 Cutout downpipes

Anthony, Is the smell noticeable / acceptable? Those are the next step for me too.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Anthony, Is the smell noticeable / acceptable? Those are the next step for me too.
I don't think it made much of a difference at all regarding the smell and definitely doesn't have a rotten egg smell to it at all.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
magnaflow makes a cat back system that does not increase HP, but makes a lot of noise,don't know this first-hand that's what's on the forum. Most don't here have removed the rear cats,, if that's not enough you can remove the resonator,, by doing those two you will have a nice tone without the drone, good luck.
I don't know the laws there but here in Pa. for inspection your car must have everything on it that was there originally, no deleting CATS etc, even if it passes the emission test. I am lucky, I am rural and do not have to do the emission test but I still need the original exhaust stuff.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The "smell" is most noticeable at startup. My car lives in a basement so I can't avoid the reminder. Very reminiscent of the 60's if your old enough to remember. No smell inside the car or after warming up, just that no cat reminder in the morning. You know, I have some DP remnants I'd be willing to give away dinasrt. I'll snap a photo tomorrow and you think about it.

Les

Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Les, P.M. sent.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Try just removing the muffler at the rear and see if you like the sound. If so you can make a pipe and weld the tips back on.
Cheap and simple.
I have my rear cats hollowed out and the rear muffler removed. I think it sounds good. Not drony or to loud.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 PM

This is good feedback. Didn't someone pass emissions with these?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=grip grip;736447]If you really want to menace them, remove the cutout covers and they'll definitely fear you.

Thanks - I will have a chat with the mechanic. It just needs a bit more oooomph and I am glad there appears to be a lot of you have modded your exhausts. As a previous Alfa Romeo owner, modifacations can be fatal

Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I second the muffler delete. Removing the extremely heavy AMG muff really lightens the load.
My next mod will be to replace the rear cats and H-pipe with a X-pipe. Now if I could just find out the size of our pipes, or better yet, what size the X-pipe needs to be.

Here's a pic of my "Wicked Flow" Exhaust Tip...

WP_000034_edited.jpg

Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stupid question that I *should* know by now -- but is there an X-pipe included with Rob's downpipes? If not, does he supply one that works?

I know the C63 boys (with their dozens of exhaust options they're blessed with) all noticed larger gains and smoother sound with the addition of an X-pipe versus two segregated pipes. Seems this would be advantageous for us as well.

In my county, I'd at least need "fake" cats in the front... something for the inspector man to see. Anthony is lucky and lives in a "one stop-light town" and doesn't have emissions testing to fuss with

Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Stupid question that I *should* know by now -- but is there an X-pipe included with Rob's downpipes? If not, does he supply one that works?

I know the C63 boys (with their dozens of exhaust options they're blessed with) all noticed larger gains and smoother sound with the addition of an X-pipe versus two segregated pipes. Seems this would be advantageous for us as well.

In my county, I'd at least need "fake" cats in the front... something for the inspector man to see. Anthony is lucky and lives in a "one stop-light town" and doesn't have emissions testing to fuss with
Nevermind, I can see here that the OEM H-pipe would remain in place... it's after the connection

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/157593-post3.html

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Nevermind, I can see here that the OEM H-pipe would remain in place... it's after the connection

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/157593-post3.html
Actually what Brian is showing is the delete of the resonator and replacing it with a "Y" pipe and a couple of 90s to get around the rear diff. My mod will leave the Res in place and remove the rear cats and H pipe for replacement with the "X" pipe. I recall seeing someone on the forum even replacing the cats with the x-pipe while leaving the h-pipe intact!(?) Supposedly the resonator has a lesser effect on the flow then the cats do, and will still help keep the drone down along with the x-pipe. At least that's my interpretation from what I've read. I still can't find an answer to my quest to find the right size for the x-pipe needed.

Quick Reply: SRT 6 exhaust