Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Odd Question

Old 09-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Question

As a Crossfire owner I have a hard time writing this but...what in the hell are people thinking buying SRT6's? I just dont get how Chryser is justifying the price tag when competition such as the Corvette are no-brainer choices in that price range....and I wont even get into the performance disparity. I enjoy everyones enthusiasm for our vehicles...but the SRT6 is a dog at 50K

Old 09-23-2004, 02:44 AM
Forum Regular

Wait and see if they sell. You might be able pick on up on the cheap in a few months.

I think DC are hoping that the public will see the XF as more of a Merc, and therefore have a price premium.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Default Re: Odd Question

Originally Posted by 2004XFire
As a Crossfire owner I have a hard time writing this but...what in the hell are people thinking buying SRT6's? I just dont get how Chryser is justifying the price tag when competition such as the Corvette are no-brainer choices in that price range....and I wont even get into the performance disparity. I enjoy everyones enthusiasm for our vehicles...but the SRT6 is a dog at 50K
This might be valid for the US, not for Switzerland. Here the SRT-6 is about $58.000, the SLK32 AMG was about $73.600 and the Corvette is estimated between $72.000-76.000. So the XF is a discount sports car in Switzerland :-)

Reason enought to order one.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:58 PM

Simply put, the Crossfire is beautiful and the Corvette isn't. If the only thing you care about in a car is horsepower per dollar, then I strongly recommend that you get a Corvette or a 350Z or a Subaru STi.

But for me, the first time I saw a Crossfire driving down a highway at dusk I knew I had to have that car. After test-driving a standard coupe, I was even more in love...except for the lack of straight-line acceleration. The SRT-6 is the car I want in every other way, with ENOUGH performance to keep me happy.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The SRT, if made in low numbers (like less than 2K a year) may very well sell at MSRP simply because of its rarity/exclusivity. However, when you look at it from a value-added approach over the limited coupe you are right, it is hard to justify the price especially considering that the non-SRT coupes typically sell for $4-7K under MSRP. You can also get a somewhat smaller discount on non-SRT roadsters.

The best pricing I have seen for an SRT coupe is $3.6K under MSRP (a little over $43K for a model w/ nav and all-season tires). That seems a little more reasonable. There is no need to pay MSRP. Personally, I think SRT coupes are a value at anything less than $40K, and SRT roadsters might be a value at under $44K. They might never go down that far, but it sure didn't take very long for DCX to heavily discount the 04s.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:50 PM

I didnt mean to ruffle and feathers but the fact is simple, the value proposition for the SRT6 is simply not sound. The limited coupe (which I own) on the other hand is a great bargain. A dressed up SLK for 30K....that my fellow drivers is a sound value proposition. I understand that the SRT6 is not all about the horsepower (or lack there of) but the fact remains that it is a 45-50K sports coupe. With that comes expectation. As I mentioned before, it is my opinion that there are many many many other cars out there that I would buy first if I was to spend that much cash

Old 09-23-2004, 11:01 PM

I didnt mean to ruffle and feathers but the fact is simple, the value proposition for the SRT6 is simply not sound.
I'd say the simple fact is that sports coupes and "sound value propositions" don't have a lot to do with each other.

Let's not kid ourselves. Whether you're talking about an MR2 for 25k or a DB7 for 125k, ultimately you're talking about a rather unnecessary toy that exists to satisfy desires other than basic transportation. If an SRT6 is the toy you want, and you have the means, then it's worth it to you.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's all about the exclusivity

There are other cars with the same amount of horsepower, for even more money. Take a look at the BMW M3, 333hp for 55 grand. The last M3 model had 240 hp and sold for 45k... but just to start, really you should compare this car against Mercedes, which what it really is.

Obviously they sell SLK AMG coupes and convertibles, and again, the price tag is higher. So why is the SRT-6 so "unreasonably" priced? I don't believe that it is.

Also, how can you compare it against a 350Z in horsepower per dollar? Your getting a Japanese ricer car, and your trying to compare it against a German luxury sports car. Obviously the Jap car will have a better dollar/horsepower ratio. But does it come with navigation? 19 inch wheels? A Mercedes engine with 330hp that will last 500k miles? No.

As for Corvette... cmon, Corvette's are so cheesey! Nobody want's an American car these days.. and American the Crossfire is not... We are talking cheap interior, annoying rattles, inferior American parts... Younger people don't want Corvette's, they want something sportier, something newer looking, something more luxurious.... not a model rehashed 10 times.. Something like the SRT-6... I think people who grew up with Corvette's being THE car to have find the Corvette more attractive. And really I don't think most Crossfire owner's are the Corvette type... They are played out. Nobody looks at Corvette's and says "WOW". We've all seen them a thousand times! But I guarantee you drive the SRT-6 around town, you'll be getting WOWs for forseeable future.

Compare it against car's like a Porsche turbos, a BMW Z8, rare cars like that... Thats where I think a comparison can be made. And in these instances, the dollar value kills the competition.

The bottom line is you are getting an awesome looking car, a sick performance machine, at what I believe is a reasonable price. On top of that, the car is very exclusive, rare, high quality in every part, and destined to be a classic. It simply cannot be compared against cars you see every day. (like the Corvette)

Old 09-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

now if they just made the srt in white... :wink:

Old 09-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah what's that about no alabaster SRTs?

As for resale you only have to look at the SlK AMGs.not that high.

I've been looking at Jag XKRs Coupes very rare concidering they make alot of convertables.The prices are about 3-5,000 higher than more plentiful converts XKRs,But the prices are still close to non supercharged XK8s.People seem to loose more if they pay more for performence.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Default Re: It's all about the exclusivity

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
Obviously they sell SLK AMG coupes and convertibles, ...
the SLK is always a convertible except it is closed :wink:

Old 09-27-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Yeah what's that about no alabaster SRTs?

The brochure shows the SRT, both coupe and roadster in black, SSB, graphite and aero blue. The Limited coupe and roadster are shown in alabaster, blaze red, and yellow (roadster only).
Also, FYI, the SRT models do not come with touring gear.