Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Turning the pulley

Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Received 561 Likes on 471 Posts
Default Re: Turning the pulley

Originally Posted by Lenin
And I just thought that you would save me some time and recommend a shop I can use. But thank you anyway.
He just gave you the sizes rather than let some back alley fly by night shop guess at them. Maybe that did not save you any time but it may have saved you big bucks by not trashing your pulley, that's if you passed along the information.
I am sure he appreciated the thanks anyway.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
He just gave you the sizes rather than let some back alley fly by night shop guess at them. Maybe that did not save you any time but it may have saved you big bucks by not trashing your pulley, that's if you passed along the information.
I am sure he appreciated the thanks anyway.
What are you talking about? Are you running low on meds?

Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm low on meds and still got it. I sent my pulley out today and will post the results when I get the parts i have accumulated on the car. I decided to go with a stacked set-up of 178/70. Pulley saver kit also. This set-up will allow me to use the stock injectors. I bought an SL55 fuel pump off ebay for $80. shipped. I will be getting Rob's free flowing filter and adjustable regulator. A wideband and oil separator will be going on also. I did not want to push the SC much past the recommended 15,000rpm max even though it is only over 15k past 5500 engine rpm. the hassle of injectors and the tune for them steered me towards the 70mm pulley. I'll go with the ported lower "Y" pipe and "tweaked" intakes to make the difference in power. These cars/motors seem to max out in the high 11's so why push it? For those who do I say more power to them and they are the pioneers with the 3.2 Kompressor and that is what Hot rodding is all about, making parts as needed to get that extra tenth.
i always seem to go with the underdog and will not go all out this time as I don't have the health or the extra cash. Anyone know what a "nailhead" motor is? that is where it started for me. Now I have a Mercedes roadster that when complete should run a low 12 and at nearly 115mph, nice

Last edited by Sweet2002; 06-29-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet2002
Now I have a Mercedes roadster that when complete should run a low 12 and at nearly 1115mph, nice

That's fast, but you left something out. Here you go: 1,115 mph. Much better now.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grip grip
That's fast, but you left something out. Here you go: 1,115 mph. Much better now.
Thanks Anthony, I just caught it but you beat me before I could change it! I didn't add the comma but removed the extra 1 I'm really getting excited on how the motor will respond with the larger 178 crank pulley turning a smaller than stock, 70mm SC pulley. For you guys who run some form of stacked pulleys the response must be immediate It's not about peak HP for me but how well it darts about on the street/interstate & torque numbers are most important. A wide torque band is what I look for on a dyno pull. That is why I have made the choice for the ported lower "Y" and "tweaked" intakes. 15hp at best but if you look at the guys who have posted their pulls with these intakes the torque down between 1700 and 3500 is near 40lbs/ft at points. launch at near 1700rpm and the SC comes on hard around 4500rpm on my motor so the intakes help with that range where it is needed most. I truly thank you guys for bearing with me and my often repeated questions. the shop Jefasold recommended seems like a really nice guy and he has done these before. I am comfortable and did not have to send the pulley to Bulgaria where it seems every machine shop turns pulleys on a regular basis. I'll follow up when all is installed:
Wideband
178mm/PSK
70mm SC pulley
SL55 fuel pump
Rob's filter & regulator shooting for a 12.2:1
And that darn oil catch can that has been sitting for 6 months
The shop that does my work has a DYNO and I may do a before and after with Jerry doing 2 hours in between. If it, the dyno is open I likely will just to make sure that the 1115 isn't correct Got me.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little off topic, but can someone explain the low end torque gains observed via the "tweaked manis"....

I'm guessing the torque is related to the VE and associate "punch" from the ignition ...at low rpms...
hence the tweaked mani's are offering more air to achieve that punch.
The stock "sloped" mani's would be tuned for a certain volume flow...tapering towards the front as the air gets consumed in the back 1-2 cylinders....
but...at low rpm when the volume intake is less....the sloped mani may preference the rear cylinders...potentially starving the front cylinders...??
With the tweaked mani's - they appear much more uniform and hence may reduce this bias of air towards the back, consequently the front cylinders are seeing more air and hence torque.
Having typed that...I now recall Waldig's bridged manis...
You experienced guys....Let me know if I'm close or way off the mark...

Discussion invited...

Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular

Well, I got my stock pulley turned to 70mm by Carr's machine shop as recommended by Jefasold. I paid $90.shipped. I still need a fuel filter and he adjustable regulator. I'll keep it updated. I'll be running a stacked 178/70.