Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Oil Catch Can Q's

Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Catch Can Q's

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
B is the correct way for the venturi port
Thank you

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That is correct, I initially answered this on a i Pad on which the pictures A and B showed no real detail, hence the description.
Gotcha, thanks.. I was a bit confused with that post haha.

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
I still need to install my catch can. And my boost gauge. And my taillight overlays......

lol
No need for a boost gauge, just get a UltraGauge. You can read boost from that.

Update. Finished up NeedsWings catch can install. Here is some more pictures and info related to the install. Sorry for the lack of quality, used cell phone. I take my time on any first install

IMAG1040_zpspzmbxxyj.jpg
I just zip-tied on the port on the bottom of the TB. Used the provided clamp on the drivers side of the T. (Not pictured) I attached all this before installing the TB on the car. I tried to torque the TB bolts down to 15ft lbs, but both my torque wrenches must be wrong because that was REALLY tight at around 10-12 ft lbs. Didn't want the bolt to break. I do notice the TB has a tad bit of play if you grab it and move it around. I am guessing its due to that spacer. Not sure what the purpose of that bracket on the lower portion of the TB is for? I don't see any use for it, its awfully close to that sensor that goes in the charge pipe T, directly below the TB.

IMAG1041_zpsypz5c8as.jpg
Routed the throttle body line through that little gap like factory, then up near firewall.

IMAG1044_1_zps5ljwbqr9.jpg
Shows how catch can is mounted with the bolt, washers and nut.

IMAG1045_zpsyn7x3h8d.jpg
Where it goes into the body.

IMAG1042_zpsegoq6vzd.jpg
Passenger side on how I have the line routed

IMAG1043_zps9sub8d2v.jpg
All routed. Bad flash makes everything look filthy haha

IMAG1047_zpspsebluin.jpg
Pretty intake back on

Old 07-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
I do notice the TB has a tad bit of play if you grab it and move it around. I am guessing its due to that spacer.

After I installed my upgraded TB, it firmly mounted to the manifold. The 'O' ring must be seated correctly in its groove or the seal may be compromised. Now one thing I am not sure of, does the SRT TB have a gasket vs an 'O' ring? On the N/A's, there is a groove in the TB and that 'O' ring must be seated correctly through its circumference. My TB did not have any 'play' after tightening the 4 bolts.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Hard to explain, there is a plastic spacer between the blower and the throttle body. That piece moves when you grab the TB and try to move it. I am guessing it is normal, I can try to get a video of what I am talking about. Yes, the SRT-6 TB does have a black o-ring as a gasket. I did spray water around intake manifold and throttle body to see if idle would change meaning there is a vacuum leak. But there wasn't.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I used a catch can for another car.....

I hate to waste car parts. I knew that any catch can would work if I knew how to set up the NW catch can properly. I was able to use a traditional looking catch can( from my 335i) to catch oil effectively on my crossfire. I mounted it behind the heat shield using the hole in the heat shield to pipe the return air to the TB. You will need 3 holes in your can for it to work, two in, and one out. I have it mounted under the NW CAI, behind the heat shield to keep intake temps to a minimum. I am confident that the heat shield is helping to keep the heat away from the intake tube. Genius if I say so myself! Not really sure where the NW can mounts, but I couldn't imagine a better spot for it!

PM me and I'll coach you through an effective way to catch oil without spending a ton.

Ha, i see the NW is installed on the opposite side of the engine bay, behind the heat shield. I found more room and that hoses were more easily manipulated to face the passenger side.

Last edited by mobilefitt; 09-22-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Post pictures of your setup. All the catch cans I found online only had 2 ports. The NeedsWings has 3 total ports. Not just because I have the NW catch can but I do believe it is mounted in a really great spot. Have you installed a NW catch can?

Last edited by 4drturbo; 09-23-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

4 ports ?
Mine has 3 : 1 to the connection in front of the TB, the other 2 to the left and right vent caps.
Where does your forth one connect ?

( 2 ports is OK also, one in, one out. You just tee the vent cap hoses to the in port )

Old 09-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular

So my can had a meter on the side to show me how much oil it has collected. I used the top portion of that as my return. The two top inlets are for each side and I used a Fiber Wool scrubber as a baffle.

I plugged the bottom of the meter with a small bolt.

There is a drain plug at the bottom.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
catch can1.JPG (2.22 MB, 68 views)
catchcan2.JPG (3.34 MB, 65 views)
catchcan3.JPG (2.49 MB, 63 views)
Old 09-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

TOP port would be the back to TB connection, or the third port.
Leave out the filter.
If my last post doesn't make sense, on the side of any basic catch can, is a tube that holds and displays caught oil. This is how you know it is time empty it! Well I am driving a NA so it's not blowing by oil like the SC cars might, but I use a can anyway with hopes to improve the quality of air in the manifold. I removed this tube and elbows and plugged the bottom with a brass 1/8th plug piece from any hardware store. Then I purchased a brass nipple like the ones already on the can. I screwed it into the top hole of the meter tube and extract air from the can, that has been run through the scrubber. I suggest a baffled can instead but that can be pricey.

I like this one if I'm buying. I would plug the top, no venting on the NA. (not sure if you can on the SC)

Not loving the color... but.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Oil-Reservoir-Catch-Can-Tank-Breather-Filter-Baffled-Red-/181719770009?hash=item2a4f57a399&vxp=mtr

Last edited by mobilefitt; 09-25-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Forum Regular

This one if your buying.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mishimoto-Compact-Baffled-Oil-Catch-Can-3-Port-/381394121721?hash=item58ccdc73f9&vxp=mtr

Old 09-24-2015, 01:50 PM

Good job modifying a cheaper one to work. I was looking for something that could work but having the 3 ports was hard to find. Awesome job taking the leaky site glass out and blocking the bottom and using the top as the 3rd port. I powdercoat job could get that can any color you want. Yeah, the SRT-6 setup is quite a bit different when it comes to the intake manifold.

That red one you posted would work like you stated, but I don't like the fact it doesn't have a sealed top but a filter. That will not work and be a vacuum leak on the SRT-6. Needs to be sealed.

Moshimoto makes very nice stuff, but man it is pricey. I am very happy with my NeedsWings and it looks super good in the engine bay. Plus that is was designed for our cars is a plus. No regrets at all buying it. untitled-3_zpsouxvldpx.jpg
Love keeping my bay clean, its getting there. Pulley Saver kit is next

Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if you can see the pics of my home-built:

CrossfireForum.org - maxcichon's Album: Modded $25 Oil Catch Can

Works very well.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I'm not sure if you can see the pics of my home-built:

CrossfireForum.org - maxcichon's Album: Modded $25 Oil Catch Can

Works very well.
Lots of custom work and time. Looks good. Does it leak air at all? Is there a gasket between those two pieces?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Lots of custom work and time. Looks good. Does it leak air at all? Is there a gasket between those two pieces?
I cut an o-ring groove in both ends of the cylinder. It did NOT come with them. It would have leaked air in and oil out....

What were they thinking?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular

so the top port where the filter is, would be the third port, or the out port on that can I mentioned. All are baffled and so that was tech we proved ( n54tech.com) to work with little to no effect on crankcase pressure. No particulate to fly around in the engine, and large ports to avoid flow restriction. Does needs wings have baffles? If so, I'll buy one next week.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
so the top port where the filter is, would be the third port, or the out port on that can I mentioned. All are baffled and so that was tech we proved ( n54tech.com) to work with little to no effect on crankcase pressure. No particulate to fly around in the engine, and large ports to avoid flow restriction. Does needs wings have baffles? If so, I'll buy one next week.
Rob's ( Needswings ) description says :
3 chambered internal design with stainless steel filtration media.
I've had one for almost 5 years now, no complaints at all.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Gentlemen - I've been watching all the posting's I can about the oil catch can. It seems like a lot of folks lean towards the "Needswings" device. Has anyone tried the catch can device offered by "Elite Engineering USA"? It looks like a simple device and in the video, it collected quite a bit of oil. I don't know if they make one for the Crossfire 3.2 Limited engine. Maybe someone here knows and has tried one.

I'm open for opinions on the Elite model as well as the Needswings model. Please email me at jpmlholian@aol with your thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Old 12-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

onehundred80 - I tried to read the directions for the Needswings installation that you refered to in one of your other postings. I couldn't get it to come up for me.

From one of your postings, I've pretty well convinced myself that I should put one on my 05 Limited model. It seems like most people are using the Needswings device. Have you had any experience with the "Elite Engineering USA" device? I just looked it up on the computer and it seems pretty simple and the video shows it collecting quite a bit of oil on a Corvette.

I would be interested in your viewpoint on both of these collection devices. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com

Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

" I would be interested in your viewpoint on both of these collection devices. Any help you can offer would be appreciated."

Jim,
The catch can from Needswings is made of metal and comes as a complete kit with everything you need to install it in a Crossfire. It is designed to fit just behind the heat shield with a downward facing pin and an upper bracket. Thus it is specifically made to fit securely and does so perfectly in a Crossfire when you order at the Needswings Crossfire website. You will have to jury-rig the Elite to make it fit. Needswings I believe also makes the can available in different color options.
The Needswings can drains from the bottom. I remove it from the vehicle to drain it at each oil change, sometimes more often, and I have slide a small "O" ring into the drain cap which helps to insure a drip free cap at the bottom.
If I were buying new I would again choose the Needswings can as it works very well and fits perfect without any jury-rigged installation.

Last edited by zip439; 12-21-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
onehundred80 - I tried to read the directions for the Needswings installation that you refered to in one of your other postings. I couldn't get it to come up for me.

From one of your postings, I've pretty well convinced myself that I should put one on my 05 Limited model. It seems like most people are using the Needswings device. Have you had any experience with the "Elite Engineering USA" device? I just looked it up on the computer and it seems pretty simple and the video shows it collecting quite a bit of oil on a Corvette.

I would be interested in your viewpoint on both of these collection devices. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com

I use the NeedsWings catch can, it works well with no problems.
The NA installation PDF is here. CLICK

Old 12-21-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I use the NeedsWings catch can, it works well with no problems.
The NA installation PDF is here. CLICK
^^^^^ what he said.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can Q's