Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Flat battery and locked out...Help !

Old 09-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flat battery and locked out...Help !

I had to leave my car for 2 weeks, and on return, the battery was flat. I tried to open the drivers door with the key, but it appears that someone had previously changed the door lock (door ?) and so the key will not turn in the lock. I used the old trick of removing the two hood latch bolts, and at last was able to get under the hood. I charged the battery, but now every time I reconnect the battery, it thinks it is being stolen, and the alarm goes off, and the remote will no longer open the doors. Anyone have any tips on how to over come this .............
Many thanks in advance

Old 09-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Flat battery and locked out....Help !

Originally Posted by magredvet
I had to leave my car for 2 weeks, and on return, the battery was flat. I tried to open the drivers door with the key, but it appears that someone had previously changed the door lock (door ?) and so the key will not turn in the lock. I used the old trick of removing the two hood latch bolts, and at last was able to get under the hood. I charged the battery, but now every time I reconnect the battery, it thinks it is being stolen, and the alarm goes off, and the remote will no longer open the doors. Anyone have any tips on how to over come this .............
Many thanks in advance
If the alarm is going off with the doors locked and the hood raised closing he hood should stop the alarm. But you have the doors locked and no key that fits. Hmmm!
Press the alarm button on the fob and it should shut the alarm off. You could take of the cowel and disconnect the alarm.
Are the fob batteries OK?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Forum Regular

K thanks for the info. I closed the hood microswitch, to fool it into thinking the hood was closed, but alarm still sounds. Broke into it the old fashioned way, with a coat hanger, but no matter what I do, the alarm still sounds. Pulled the alarm fuse (9), alarm stops, but the lights continue to flash. Pulling the central locking fuse, stops the flashing of the lights. Once this is done, it starts and drives. So, my theory, is, alarm module gone bad, sets the alarm off, flashes the lights til the battery is flat. Does that sound reasonable?
If so can someone point me to the thread about the newer alarm module.....with the beep on lock/unlock?
Oh the fob batteries seem ok, as pushing the fob buttons will flash the indicators as normal, but nothing else happens

Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular

Update......think I've found the issue...... :0 (
I pulled the grommets from the PS trunk floor, and about a half gallon of water came out. I guess with the 50 inches of rain we had here over the last couple of weeks, the rain got into the trunk and flooded the central locking pump. This now leaves me with a couple of new problems......1) how do I get the trunk open if the central locking module is fubar, and 2) I now need to remove the rear spoiler and replace the seal......

Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(1) To get into the hatch, remove the DS license plate light. Search "emergency hatch release". (2) Its usually the drains under the spoiler that runs thur the hatch an out ,above the plate that deteriorates. Make sure, its not the hatch seal or the fuel door seal that is doing the leaking. If you got that much water out thur the relieves (1/2 gal.) , there's a foam casing surrounding the pump that is probably holding ,twice that much. And that would be your problem.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks man, I appreciate it!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Forum Regular

Latest.....for all those with coupes, it IS possible to unlock the trunk by removing the license plate lamps. Unlike the roadsters, there is no emergency cable to pull, or secondary electric lock to push on to engage the pawl. You basically have to reach past the actuator (on the drivers side), and push the pawl along to engage the handle. Basically this has to be done by feel, as it is not possible to see the pawl, I studied a picture of the lock to see where it is located.
Once in the trunk, the diagnosis was confirmed, as foam around the pump was soaking. Also whilst the trim panels are off, there's an emergency release for the gas cap, there should really be one for the trunk!
Anyway dried the pump out, cleaned the connections, and hope when I reinstall it, all is ok, otherwise I'm on the lookout for a new pump.
If it works, all it cost me was two license plate lamps, as the clips broke on both ends whilst trying to remove them.....:0)

Old 09-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope your back on the road soon.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 PM

Latest.....for all those with coupes, it IS possible to unlock the trunk by removing the license plate lamps. Unlike the roadsters, there is no emergency cable to pull, or secondary electric lock to push on to engage the pawl. You basically have to reach past the actuator (on the drivers side), and push the pawl along to engage the handle. Basically this has to be done by feel, as it is not possible to see the pawl, I studied a picture of the lock to see where it is located.
Once in the trunk, the diagnosis was confirmed, as foam around the pump was soaking. Also whilst the trim panels are off, there's an emergency release for the gas cap, there should really be one for the trunk!
Anyway dried the pump out, cleaned the connections, and hope when I reinstall it, all is ok, otherwise I'm on the lookout for a new pump.
If it works, all it cost me was two license plate lamps, as the clips broke on both ends whilst trying to remove them.....:0)
I think you should at least start looking for a pump, I cannot recall one being good again after a bath. Bad news that is for sure.
Any pictures of what we should be moving? What did you use to push the pawl? Give us a hint please.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-13-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed! You can clean the connections, but you cannot clean the wires, and the rot will continue. Even if it works for a while, it will futz up aging in a few months.
Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think you should at least start looking for a pump, I cannot recall one being good again after a bath. Bad news that is for sure.
Any pictures of what we should be moving? What did you use to push the pawl? Give us a hint please.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Forum Regular

Ok gents, I'll start my search. I'll try and find the picture I was using, and annotate it to show what to push, I used a long thin flat blade screwdriver on mine. As soon as I do I'll post it in this thread, or should I start a new one just dealing with the locked trunk deal ?

Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Ok gents, I'll start my search. I'll try and find the picture I was using, and annotate it to show what to push, I used a long thin flat blade screwdriver on mine. As soon as I do I'll post it in this thread, or should I start a new one just dealing with the locked trunk deal ?
A new thread just so it is not lost in the middle of another thread. It could then become a sticky for future problems like it.
The tag lights are slid sideways to remove as I recall, not pried out.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-14-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular

Mine is an early build, and the tag lights had clips on both sides of the enclosure. As I tried to slide them sideways, they came out, but both clips had become brittle, and so snapped. It's a small price to pay, to get in the trunk though ................

Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Mine is an early build, and the tag lights had clips on both sides of the enclosure. As I tried to slide them sideways, they came out, but both clips had become brittle, and so snapped. It's a small price to pay, to get in the trunk though ................
Clips on one side and a springy thing on the other, push against the spring and drop down the lamp at the lip end. The cheap fix is to use LED units in place of the OEM ones. Brighter light, cheaper and you get rid of those OEM lenses that break so easily when they are tightened too much, bad design.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Flat battery and locked out...Help !

LED tag lights installed, that's the good news...........
Found a new pump for $424, thought that was a good price, installed it last night, and now the door locks work, but the alarm still keeps blaring..................
If you remove the alarm fuse, the central locking pump stops working, so I removed the siren.
Question: is this a sign of the siren going bad, as it appears the internal batteries are no longer powering it, as removing the battery terminal also stops it's blaring. I have ordered a new siren , in the hope that this is the issue.................if not I am stumped !

Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LED tag lights installed, that's the good news...........
Found a new pump for $424, thought that was a good price, installed it last night, and now the door locks work, but the alarm still keeps blaring..................
If you remove the alarm fuse, the central locking pump stops working, so I removed the siren.
Question: is this a sign of the siren going bad, as it appears the internal batteries are no longer powering it, as removing the battery terminal also stops it's blaring. I have ordered a new siren , in the hope that this is the issue.................if not I am stumped !
It has been documented by quite a few posts that the batteries in the siren leaking onto the circuit board have caused many different problems.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:04 AM
Forum Regular

Final update..................fitted the new siren, all is now good, and I have a chirp on arm and disarm
Now onto the valve cover leaks...............
Oh, and just discovered that the lever for the telescoping column is broken off ...........wtf ?
how did someone manage to break that ?...............guess this one was not as unmolested as I thought..........oh well, I'll get it sorted eventually !............it's still great to be back !