Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Potential Buyer Questions

Old 03-22-2020, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer Questions

Hi everyone. So I have been browsing these forums for a couple weeks and other forums with similar cars for the same amount of time. That said, some of the information I'd like first hand fresh opinions on and Long story short, I am looking into buying a smaller sub-3,300lbs coupe that handles great, has at least 13sec quarter mile abilities, and the potential to even become an 11second car with a great driver and not too much money put into it. After some research, the SRT-6 crossfire was at the top of list for factory starting abilities, down the line potential, and value per dollar. Other top car in the conversation was an Audi TT because it also had a a forced induction platform (no vettes for me, also considered a 370Z and a S2000 for those curious).

So everything I've been reading up on these cars has been for the most part great. Low 13's from the factory, can hit 12's with drag radials and a tune, SRT-6 suspension helps make it outhandle 370Z's/TTs/Boxsters/WRXs/Evos on the tracks, the handbuilt partially forged engine and supercharger is very reliable and boost adding friendly, the A5 transmission is rated at 600 torque, and there seems to be a good amount of aftermarket parts available for the car. I've even been in one and was very impressed by it's all around driving characteristics. And I honeslty have a low mile SRT-6 all lined up that I want to pull the trigger on. So now, I would just like some more knowledge on questions regarding this to point me in the right direction:

1=I've read that the first list of power mods everyone should do for best bang for your buck are needswings dual cold air intake, pulleys, and a tune. That said, the consensus on which pulley(s) is where the debate seems to be. Which is the best 178mm vs 185mm? In theory, wouldn't the one that makes the most power be the ideal choice, fuel and heat issues not withstanding? For instance, I don't know the limitations on these cars yet, but with the right sized aftermarket heat exchanger and with upgraded fuel pump/injectors, the 185mm pulley is the ideal choice no? What type of power or track gains do people see on a a 178mm vs 185mm pulley? Aside from that, what type of hp or 1/4 mile gains do people see from stock vs a dcai/pulley/tune set-up?

2=After dcai/pulley/tune mods, what is the next best bang for your buck mod or 2 after that? In complete honesty, I've owned some loud exhaust cars in the past, for example my last "sports" car I owned was a NA LS2 GTO with Heads/Cam/Full Bolt ons going out through long tubes, no cats, glasspacks, and 6" tips. It was fun at the time, but in the end not worth the drone or hearing damage it caused me. I don't think this car's exhaust could get that loud, aside from maybe adding a cutout or so, but I honestly would like to keep that as close to stock if possible while near maxing power gains, but that area might be fluid. But I've read everything from tweaked or aluminum intake manifolds, to intake manifolds with and without crossovers, to 83mm throttle bodies, to tweaked y pipes, to headers, to cat-backs, to resonator deletes, to muffler deletes, to cat deletes, and even gear swaps. Gear swaps being somewhat difficult on these I've read, but very interesting, because gear swaps on gains/dollar value has at time been one of the best and most fun mods on a couple NA cars I've had (this would be the first F/I car I've owned). 3.07 to the NA 3.27's wouldn't be bad depending on the cost, but as long as highway RPM's aren't too crazy, 3.55's or 3.7/3.73's would probably be more ideal (which I read someone on here did a 3.7 swap. Thoughts on the mods path going forward and bang for buck here? I honestly can't figure out which are the next 2 or 3 ideal mods to plan after the "first big 3". Keep in mind, I am talking performance mods "alone". I understand the fuel system, cooling system, and possibly spark plugs/ignition system (along with something I am probably forgetting), will/may need to be changed as we go deeper into performance mods on these cars, but I am looking for more power mods only(although obviously cooler IAT's translates to more power in cases). Giving me suggestions on when to change those with certain mods/power adders is greatly appreciated, but I am definitely more focused on what power mods to do step by step right now. For the record, weight reduction is something I'll think about, but the dollar/value there isn't usually the best trade off to start when modifying a car, and the free stuff usually has other setbacks(IE: road noise and such).

3=Lastly, just curious of the "common problems" these cars have. I've read crankshaft sensors, crank pulley disintegration, key ignition switch, are the ones I've found. Any other notable ones?

Thanks for any help I can get. These seem like the ideal cars for what I'm looking for.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Potential Buyer Questions

Well you have done your homework. Pretty much covered it all. I have a coupe or a roadster that are done. Been sitting for 3 years low mileage ready to go. PM me if interested.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Potential Buyer Questions

Keep reading the forum and you will find the answers to all your questions by searching. There are lots of little electrical issues which can be costly or time consuming. SKREEM the most severe one.

I'd recommend visiting NeedsWings Performance Products and check out crossfire srt-6 section. Lots of goodies and information.