Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Thoughts on this vehicle

Old 09-14-2021, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this vehicle

Hello, I am brand new to this forum and new to the Crossfire scene in General. I was given the chance to drive a neighbors SRT6 Roadster for a few hours this weekend. Long story short I absolutely loved the car, I loved the sound, power, feel and even got attention from other people on the road. All of this has led me to want to go out and buy an SRT6 of my own.

Here is the link to the car I am looking at. Living in Southern Cali there is only 2 SRT6's within reasonable driving distance of me that I have seen.
https://socalautogroup.com/2005-chry...-91335/6991820
Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...555&source=BUP

I am fully aware that the vehicle was salvaged and then rebuilt. I called my insurance to verify that they will insure the car and crazy enough its only 200 more annually than my daily (08 Scion tC). I also called the shop that did the alignment after the rebuild to see if anything was noted about not being able to align it properly indicating suspension or frame damage. I got told that they received it directly from the body shop (which didn't hold records earlier than 2019 so I couldn't find info from them) they said that nothing was noted about damage and would not have charged the customer if the car wasn't able to be aligned with in specs. Furthermore the previous owners length of ownership after the car was repaired leads me to believe there is not a major problem seeing that they did not dump the vehicle immediately. It appears to all be in nice shape and now I'm planning a day this week to go look at the vehicle in person. However I wanted to get a general idea of what people here think since I am new to this vehicle.

Additionally, the neighbor I mentioned has owned 3 in total(SRT6 Coupe) he still has 2 of them (SRT6 Roadster and Base Coupe) and does his own maintenance. He is all for me getting one and has even told me there is nothing wrong with these cars that we can't fix together. He has told me its a good deal as long as it was repaired right, which it appears to have been but I wanted more opinions before fully going through with it. Any advice/concerns is welcome.
Thank You

Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on this vehicle

Welcome to the forum! Your neighbor is correct about being able to fix the car yourself--all the issues are well documented on this forum and some FB groups too. Great cars, great engines that will last many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Seems like a good deal on the car if the damage was mild. It does not take much for an insurance company to total these cars. I think what I would want to do if I was going to buy this car, would be to take it to an independent Mercedes garage and have them go over everything related to the crash with a fine-tooth comb to see if there are any questionable repairs or structural damage.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 09-14-2021, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott M
Welcome to the forum! Your neighbor is correct about being able to fix the car yourself--all the issues are well documented on this forum and some FB groups too. Great cars, great engines that will last many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Seems like a good deal on the car if the damage was mild. It does not take much for an insurance company to total these cars. I think what I would want to do if I was going to buy this car, would be to take it to an independent Mercedes garage and have them go over everything related to the crash with a fine-tooth comb to see if there are any questionable repairs or structural damage.

Let us know what you decide!
With regards to a Mercedes garage, this would be my go too as well. However their website says a PPI is ok but only with a mechanic within a 5 mile radius which seems a little weird but Ill see what I can do about that.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, only 5 miles seems weird--almost like they are choosing the repair place they want you to use. lol.

It seems like a nice clean car for the money if it checks out. It appears to have had the suspension lowered.

Looks like the front fascia does not fit quite as tightly as it would from the factory--not a deal breaker at all, just pointing it out before you buy the car, if you do. Make sure the doors, hood, & trunk open and close like they should.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:17 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks gray/grey not SSB as listed on website. Not that any of the 4 colors available on the SRT6 are bad.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:19 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Seems reasonable if everything checks out. They are fun cars to drive.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:00 PM
Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

This SRT6 was a Branded title with major damage from September 2016, it was repainted from the original SSB to Graphite. This was detailed in the CarFax the original poster supplied as a link. This car has over 100,000 miles, why buy this SRT6, when so many more are available? IS THIS A PRICING ISSUE, GOING CHEAP?
No insurance company will offer any comprehensive insurance on this one, just liability insurance!
Find another SRT6!
Just my 2 cents....
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 09-14-2021, 06:49 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMenace
This SRT6 was a Branded title with major damage from September 2016, it was repainted from the original SSB to Graphite. This was detailed in the CarFax the original poster supplied as a link. This car has over 100,000 miles, why buy this SRT6, when so many more are available? IS THIS A PRICING ISSUE, GOING CHEAP?
No insurance company will offer any comprehensive insurance on this one, just liability insurance!
Find another SRT6!
Just my 2 cents....
Dennis
DTMenace

Ditto, let the buyer beware! Good luck in your quest!

Old 09-14-2021, 07:08 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

@Blocka3 I question why since the recent sale it has been driven a total of 3 miles. This dealer must have bought it at auction and transported it on a trailer to pass inspection at their shop. Only allowed to drive it 5 miles for an independent inspection? Forget that. If I'm spending $9K I want the right to drive it any place I want within reason for an independent inspection. Is this dealer worried the car will break down if driven more than 5 miles? I bet the "Extended Warranty Available" is one of those grossly expensive crap after-market warranties for old cars that cost a fortune and are a total waste of $. Something smells a little fishy here. I know lots of people love the added power the SRT6 offers and many love the convertibles but in my opinion unless you're a hellion and really need that power the standard model has plenty of power for what it is... just a cool car that really has nothing to prove and even the SRT6 will get left in the dust by a lot of other used cars in the same price range. Let's also be serious, those who wanted an SRT6 and lowered it (as this one appears to have been lowered) probably drove it pretty hard. Convertible? I think the Crossfire looks best in its original form and there's a little less to worry about going wrong with those convertible mechanics out of the mix but that's just me. If I were gonna spend $9K there is a nice 2005 in Seattle Washington with a MANUAL transmission and 32K on the clock. Check out autotrader.com and keep an eye out for something that appeals to you. Remember, some $ spent on a plane ticket and a rental car to check out a car you've vetted and deem worth seeing, driving in person and taking to get an independent inspection is dirt cheap compared to what it can cost to fix and maintain a lemon with a salvage title to boot. I'd also say that my model year, the 2004, is the best because when the car was first introduced it was truly loaded with everything the first year including full leather dual power seats, not the mix of leather and crap upholstery combination that came in the following years unless you bought the limited version. I'd take a low mileage 2004 any day over the later model years with the same mileage that weren't the top limited editions with all the bells and whistles my 2004 came standard with. Just my 2 cents and maybe that's all my thoughts are worth. Others will certainly disagree with me though.

Good luck in your shopping. As with every used car, the most ya can lose is what ya paid for it plus what put into it. Personally, I'd not spend much $ on these cars or put much into them in terms of customization because they are all a fender bender away from being totaled by your insurance company and handed a check that will not make you anywhere near whole.

Last edited by Deepsea21; 09-14-2021 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
exparamedic (09-14-2021)