Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Back after 16 years with a SRT6 :D

Old 01-28-2023, 03:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Back after 16 years with a SRT6 :D

Hi All,

I've just bought a 2005 SRT6 with 150k miles for £5,000.

I was posting on this forum in 2007 & 2011 when I had 2 standard crossfires, just re-read some of my old posts actually brought back memories. I've had many cars since my last 2 crossfires, some high end some more for economical driving, always fancied the SRT6 so thought why not.

It needs a bit of TLC, headliner sagging, door pillar trim not properly secured, headlights could do with a restore, paintwork not in great condition, various scratches, no MOT.

It actually drove pretty well, I could definitely feel the difference in power from the standard xfire, everything seemed to work as it should.

My logic is that it has to be one of the cheapest SRT's sold that isn't accident damaged, and that if the engine does give up on me, then I could put a V8 or similiar to upgrade etc.

I have faith that these crossfires will start to appreciate in value in the coming years, and if I can hang on to it long enough eventually it will be tax free on UK roads, currently £360 tax per year as Pre 2006, think post 2006 it's over £600, so the older crossfires are selling for more than the newer ones in the UK at least.

I'd be interested if the original owner of this forum is still on here, as it would be good to hear some history as I purchased it from a garage who took it in px.

The following users liked this post:
The Ikon (05-05-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 03:37 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 501 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Re: Back after 16 years with a SRT6 :D

Welcome back
I'm surprised you remembered you password to get in here after so many years
Glad to have ya back

Gary

Old 01-28-2023, 03:49 PM

cheers, yeah i'm suprised my account is still active

Old 01-28-2023, 05:41 PM
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

mp3wizard
Welcome to the Crossfire SRT6 world of the forum. The attached link contains the latest listing of the SRT6 VIN# database. Please provide the of your "new" SRT6 to update the database, click on the link.
Congratulations!
Dennis
DTMenace

SRT6 Serial Numbers ~ PDF format file...continued - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Old 01-28-2023, 10:36 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

I remember you , I had just put my first of 3 V8 into my crossfire 10.55 @ 132 mph and a daily driver
after u give DTmenace your vin he can ( if the member sent in the vin ) tell you who where when and so on. welcome back

by the way i have progressed in the rear ends in my new v6 i have a 3.90 diff, in it now ,i have 2.82,---,3.07 stock,-- 3.27 stock non srt 3.45--- 3.67---3.90 all have been tested in 3 different srt6's jim

Old 01-30-2023, 08:49 AM

Yeah these were my previous 2, did the chrome mirrors/chrome grill/eyebrows/xenon headlights as mods, both were accident repaired, I put the SRT bumper on the grey one, both show that neither exist now so someone smashed them up probably, I still like the look of the mods I did, but as i'm now middle aged i'll probably keep things less gangster looking.

The previous owner of the SRT6 went for the blackout look, i like, but the age is starting to show, so guess I'll have to remove and respray door handles, fins, door pillar trim unless I restore to original.

Still waiting on delivery of it, so once I receive I'll certainly upload vin, as I'd be keen to see what issues it has had or has if the person was posting.

There is only 1 other SRT6 for sale here in the UK, and that is £7500 more expensive, 110k miles less & 2 years newer, could of gone for it but would of pushed me into the higher road tax bracket which I didn't fancy, I also like to get the most bang for buck, so we'll see how that works out.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:41 AM

quick question chaps, not that i'm knowledgeable enough to perform work on any of the below, but i'd appreciate it if you could explain how serious these faults are and what sort of thing i'd have to do to get them sorted...
  • Front Anti-roll bar corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Rear Anti-roll bar corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Fuel Pipe/s corroded
  • Nearside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Offside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Old 02-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

the only one i would check is the fuel line if u clean it off with wire brush / or sand paper. if it is surface only you have nothing to worry about. if deep pits i would replace it ,,it has 50 to 60 psi on it most of the time even when car is off fuel pressure does not go to 0
the other stuff you could clean off put some anti corrosion spray on them.,,Oh again if they are rusted bad replace

Sussudio (02-15-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 06:11 AM

thanks, I will try that.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome back ! I lasted all of 5 years after selling my first two, then had to buy another. They get in your blood !
Added to that, here is the US Hagerty insurance is only $300 a year, with agreed value, for all that performance

Sussudio (02-15-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 12:12 PM

thanks, I got insurance for 239 dollars, it's the road tax that is the killer here its 440 dollars per year, if it was a 2006 year or newer then it would increase to 748 dollars per year.

When I go to collect it Saturday, I'm going to take a few clothes pegs & scissors and decide how I'm going to stop the headliner sagging, I may just cut it off and get it reupholstered, I was thinking a tan or red material might look quite good

Old 02-05-2023, 09:29 AM

Picked up the car yesterday, drove fine but noticed a few issues, one was a high pitched wine, not sure if it's related to the stereo or the lose pillar trim or something else.

Audio wise the car has been fitted with an aftermarket stereo & amp, radio was very crackly, sounds like listening threw old headphones, there is a connect app you can use to stream music after connecting via bluetooth, audio sounded much better but still not up to the quality i'd expect after hearing how it was in previous ones. After doing a bit of research I saw that one of the speakers behind seat has been moved or removed? the other cover was in place but not sure if there is a speaker there, no audio from both. I also pulled out the 2 power leads in the amp in the boot and made no difference so its obviously not connected properly audio wise, although there is a green powerlight on the amp. No ideal what the other tube thing is for. I have no experience at all with audio modifications, I just want the standard system working properly and operational, even the new stereo although introducing connectivity feels cheap. I'd much rather the original stereo but with bluetooth or aux connectivity, but I guess that isn't possible?

I cut out the headliner before driving home, so it didn't sag on our heads, so I'll be looking to follow the tutorials on here on how to remove and reupholster.

The right pillar did feel a little damp inside close to where the trim is improperly secured on the outside of the car, would water be able to pentrate inside the car with that trim piece not properly secured? Looks to be in correct position, tried putting force but doesn't want to go down like the otherside, I guess previous owner removed and re-installed to spray paint black, I'll try and remove it and see what's going on.

Also the garage stated that they changed a headlight bulb which initially got rid of the warning light, but it re-appeared again, not sure if this could be related to one of the internal dome lights on the drivers side roof that isn't working also, perhaps some water has got into the car which is causing these few issues.

Only other thing to note is the cracked plastic trim around gearbox, guess that should be fairly easy to source a replacement.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:31 AM

Old 02-07-2023, 09:03 AM

I have a few questions please guys;

Headliner
I managed to get the headliner off, seems like there was a couple of screws I didn't spot as I only removed the rear plastic trims partially, will I need to repair around the screw holes for the roof to be supported properly? If so any suggestions with what?

Pillar Trim
The drivers side trim wasn't flush so I removed it to see what's going on, There seems to be a black stuff near the corner & over one of the clip brackets, I'm guessing this isn't standard and that there has been a repair of some sort, shall I just remove it to see how the trim lines up? And is there anyway that water would of got in resulting in the headliner sagging, would it be worth running a silicone bead around the top of the window now the trim is removed, or is there just no way water can pentrate inside and the sagging is down to age?

Drain off beads on roof
They are in quite poor cosmetic condition, is it worth sanding and repainting with spray or touch up pen or best just to buy replacements?

Thanks in advance I appreciate any responses.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:45 AM
Received 350 Likes on 309 Posts

This link, Index of Crossfire problems and repairs - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource , plus the search feature at the top of the page plus U-tube will answer a lot of questions and save many headaches.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:02 AM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
This link, Index of Crossfire problems and repairs - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource , plus the search feature at the top of the page plus U-tube will answer a lot of questions and save many headaches.

zeracer
Although we can appreciate your race to increase the post count but direction to “common problems and repairs” for something as specific as MP3’s ask is not very helpful. He’s posted a very specific question with a specific requirement. I know that I cannot answer the question, I own a roadster and I have absolutely no headliner experience.

I assume he’s asking for assistance from anyone who might be in the know. I completely understand Redirecting for the common been asked a million times questions but it does not assist in this situation.

If I’m wrong, please assist in pointing out where the headliner repair information resides.

I’m not trying to offend but it appears as though he’s reaching out for some real assistance.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:24 AM

Yes i'm familiar with the how to guides, that's what I followed to get this far along! Just wondered if anyone had any input who has had to do the above, particularly the pillar trims.

For the audio side, i'll probably have to visit an auto electrician as I don't have the knowledge to touch that.

thanks anyway

Old 02-07-2023, 11:35 AM

UrbanE, what is your problem? I was just trying to be helpful. My post count is from 16 years of participation and in doing my own repairs. I have found most of the information I have needed in the manner I referenced. Post count ???

Old 02-07-2023, 11:55 AM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

I have no problem, but you post every day and many of the posts do not address the asks that are posted. I acknowledge that many of those asks can be directed to the "Common problems"

If I've offended you, I apologize. As I noted in my original message, offending was not my intention.

MP3's ask was pretty specific and your reply to the ask was the same as what we all post for Skreem and keys. "Go look" But he already has and was asking for specific assistance, that's all

I acknowledge that you're attempting to be helpful. but the ask was beyond general assistance required.

I was attempting to be constructive and specific. Once again, if I offended you, I apologize.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:11 PM

No problem, we are here to assist, and I respect your answers, I was just trying to direct him to more visual answers because I am a visual person and others have provided detailed visuals. I hope we both add value.

Quick Reply: Back after 16 years with a SRT6 :D