Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Black Magic Tire Gel

Old 12-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Magic Tire Gel

I just came across Black Magic Tire Gel at the local AutoZone store. I don't know how long it's
been out with the built in sponge applicator, but it is the next best thing since sliced bread, easy
to apply, no mess... and IMO looks good.

Yes, I know I need to pull the wheels off and give them a good cleaning on the inside of the rims
along with the brakes...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gel-1.jpg (42.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg
Gel-2.jpg (66.3 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by ben47; 12-22-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Black Magic Tire Gel

~ how is the "fling" factor??

aka... dressing kick up down the side of your car... once driven.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Forum Regular

I put it on the day before a 450 mile road trip last weekend. It dries
with a shine and does not fling off... so far I am very happy with it.

Last edited by ben47; 12-22-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate the fact that you have summer tires...they tend to shine much better than the factory Continental Contitrac all seasons.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally don't care for the high gloss "wet" look but it is better than none at all. I prefer more of a satin finish like with Griot's Weatherproof Tire Dressing or something similar. It doesn't give the tire that "plastic" look.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danimal

I personally don't care for the high gloss "wet" look but it is better than none at all.

I prefer more of a satin finish like with Griot's Weatherproof Tire Dressing or something similar. It doesn't give the tire
that "plastic" look.
And yeah, I feel the same... your satin finish "is better than nothing at all". Now if we can tone mine down a little and
gloss yours up a bit, maybe we could come up with something we both like.

In all honesty, the flash picture above over emphasizes the high gloss wet look. You really have to see the tires in
person to judge whether you like it or not. Also, as with other tire dressings, it gives a different look, depending on
the tire brand and compound used in making the tire. I have a set of Yokohama’s on one of my other vehicles and
it is no where near as glossy as it is on the Michelins I have on my Crossfire.

Last edited by ben47; 12-23-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Forum Regular

This is what I've been using for the last several months and it is very easy to apply. It's probably the best thing that I've tried, but then I haven't tried a lot of the tire products. I think it works well, I take a rag and lightly wipe over the tire after to make sure that it's evenly applied and to get off any thick spots of gel. If you get any on your rims, it wipes right off. I do all four tires before I go back and wipe the excess off.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Black Magic Tire Gel

Originally Posted by danimal
I personally don't care for the high gloss "wet" look but it is better than none at all. I prefer more of a satin finish like with Griot's Weatherproof Tire Dressing or something similar. It doesn't give the tire that "plastic" look.
I too agree with you on this Danimal, thats why I've gotten into Forever Black as well as the Grape Tire Dressing from top of the line. I've used the Griots weatherproof product and its also a great product for those looking for that "satin" look.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aero Blue, long time since I've last seen you post something up! I hope everything is well. My question to you is what do you use to physically clean your tires? I never see true tire cleaners, just tire dressings on the market. I saw a product on Top of the Line's website that is supposed to be a tire cleaner. Any thoughts on that or any other tire "cleaner"?

Old 12-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by golfdude
My question to you is what do you use to physically clean your tires? I never see true tire cleaners, just tire dressings on the market. I saw a product on Top of the Line's website that is supposed to be a tire cleaner. Any thoughts on that or any other tire "cleaner"?
~ my input...

once the car is washed... i personally use an older towel with quick detailer on it to remove any old tire dressing or surface dirt. the dressing builds up in time. this allows for a clean surface for a fresh coat of dressing. i prefer "stp son of a gun" tire dressing... not too shiny & not too dull... gives it that clean look imo.

i also apply the dressing with a foam wax applicator... and then wipe the rim lip of any excess.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: Black Magic Tire Gel

Originally Posted by golfdude
Aero Blue, long time since I've last seen you post something up! I hope everything is well. My question to you is what do you use to physically clean your tires? I never see true tire cleaners, just tire dressings on the market. I saw a product on Top of the Line's website that is supposed to be a tire cleaner. Any thoughts on that or any other tire "cleaner"?
When I wash my car I spray on the tire cleaner, but don't actually rub it in. I know this doesn't really remove all of the grime like rubbing on it does, but I haven't had any problems so far. I do use the top of the line tire cleaner and it seems to do a great job and when you factor in its concentrated, thus giving you 2 gallons for the price, its a great product. As far as other "cleaners', well Wesley's is still around and in concentrate form so you can go that route and its available just about everywhere.

BTW, the 2 coats of Forever Black is holding up great on my beater car with its new tires, I can't believe its been a month and it hasn't faded one bit, amazing product!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Black Magic Tire Gel

I finally tried this stuff and I like it. Normally sells at Advance Auto for $4 and I found it on sale for $2.

It seemed to last a week for me, but I've had some rainy days this week.