Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Help, wheel stain!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, wheel stain!

Hey guys, I cleaned my car today and decided to use a new product I picked up at autozone called Wet'n'protect wet tire finish from No touch. It sprays on clear and 3/4 of the tires I did came out just fine but while spraying on one of them what looks to be some rust colored crud appeared and dripped down from the tire onto my wheel. I've tried using my microfiber rag with car cleaning solution, soap and water, a lot of elbow grease, and even briefly a soft steel wool pad I had lying around but nothing seems to phase the stain.

I haven't got any wheel cleaning products here with me right now but I wanted to check with the forum dwellers to see if anyone had a perfect solution to this. I took a picture to make it easier to identify.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.quillsoft.net/irc/wheel.jpg

Old 08-11-2007, 11:50 PM
RPM
Default Re: Help, wheel stain!

You might want to go pick up some Wurth or 3M Adhesive Remover. If that doesn't work, maybe some EagleOne NEVR DULL wadding polish. Just my .02. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of CHEAP silicon tie shines have silicates that can leech into paint and clearcoat and create a brown stain. I had the same thing happen on my white SRT-4. The tire shine slung up on the bumpers and stained them. It went away after a while. Apparently UV rays break it back down and fade it away. It took about a month for it total vanish on my car. My suggestion would be to throw that can in the trash and park it with that wheel facing the sun. It should go away. There is no cleaner or solvent that can get it out, as it actually get into the clearcoat. I had my professional detailer friend look at mine, and he said he sees it all the time, and there is nothing you can do about it, but wait...

Old 08-12-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanks guys, I've been meaning to get some Eagle One nvr dull anyhow so I might as well. I think I'll go ahead and try that and if nothing works the whole time I'll be parking it on the sunny side of our office building in the mean time. Makes a heck of a lot of sense though about getting into the clearcoat. When I saw the steel wool make light scratches in the clearcoat but not even change the stain I gave up right there and then admitting I'd been bested!

Appreciate the responses and thanks again!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProudXFireOwner
I've been meaning to get some Eagle One nvr dull.
If I am not mistaken, the stain is on the painted portion of the wheel...why would you want to use a metal polish on a painted, clearcoated surface??? Maybe some simple paint polish, or a chemical cleaner like Klasse All In One or Optimum Polyseal or any other "cleaner" wax. If you read my thread about how Stoner's Tarminator messed-up my grill, I think I mentioned how some spots simply faded away after a few days. So, maybe just being patient with the natural process of the world will be your best bet. But, nothing's wrong with trying to suggest solutions. Good luck with the wheel stain and whatever happens, please keep us updated.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Forum Regular

Another idea is Goo Gone and to be honest with you, when I first read this, I thought it was brake dust. Do you let the front wheels get real dark before cleaning them.