Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Meguires All the Way

Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguires All the Way

Just got done washing my car using the one and only, Meguires Gold Car Wash, then used Mcguires Deep Crystal Cleaner Wax, Then applied Meguires Mirror Glaze Professional #7 Show Car Glaze, the finally I applied the Meguires Mirror Glaze Professional #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Carnauba wax.

After 4 hours and some arm grease, my black crossfire now looks wet black and shines brighter and deeper than any crossfire ive seen

Last edited by caughtNthexfire06; 05-06-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned
Default Re: Meguires All the Way

I love Meguiars... don't get me wrong. I just used TW ICE .... they (Meguiars) have a problem.

Last edited by modulator; 05-06-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just getting ready to detail mine, since it has been in the garage all winter...I will try your method caught...thanks, Doc

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 PM

I've got a cabinet in the garage with just about every type of wax, tire shine, car cleaning product known to man, but once I used those few things from Mcguires, the other stuff has just dryed out. The key is that cleaner wax, it helps remove the oxidation and brings back that dark black look. Then the mirror glaze really adds some depth to the paint and of course the yellow carnub for protection, but the sad part about it all, now I dont think I can bring myself to drive the car again, its way to clean for driving.

My best friend all through school, his father owns a local detail shop that has been in business 25 years, and this year he will have done his 500,000th car detail. He mostly does higher end cars, but man I tell you what he can detail a car. Its costly but, he sells me the wax he uses for about 7 bucks for a little bottle, stuff comes right off everytime. But I dont the extra 140 bucks laying around to have him do it, so I do it my self and you know, I get a feeling of pride and joy when Im done and it makes it worth all the work that I put in.

Anytime Doc, hope it works for you, im pretty sure you will be happy with the results, I know how hard it is to keep the black cars clean and that deep wet black look.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a picture?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned

I gotta 12 foot ****...wanna picture ( I think that's the point

Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Ill take a pic tomorrow and post.

And to Mod, haha, good stuff.

Now off to make some dinner, it is only 11:30pm here, sorta hungry.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by modulator
I love Meguiars... don't get me wrong. I just used TW ICE .... they (Meguiars) have a problem.
TW Ice simply will not last - proven fact. If your car's finish is in very good shape to begin with then Ice will make it look great. For a short while. If your finish needs some real help, it simply does nothing to correct issues. That doesn't make it a bad product, don't get me wrong. It just won't correct defects (swirls, etching, etc) and it doesn't last. It also doesn't really offer any protection since it's a pure polish, not a wax/sealant.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by caughtNthexfire06
But I dont the extra 140 bucks laying around to have him do it
Surely he doesn't charge just $140 for a full detail? I've done paint correction ONLY (no interior work at all, no engine bay, no wheels - just the paint) for $300 or more and the owner happily pays. Usually it's after some "hack" of a "pro" has touched the car and left it full of rotory holograms and other problems. Seems anyone with a buffer calls himself a detailer these days. I'm not saying your friend is like that, far from it. I'm just suprised that's all he gets for doing high end cars. I know a couple of guys who get paid upwards of $1000 per car when they do the real high end stuff - Lamboghinis, Ferraris, McLarens, etc. These guys have also prepped vehicles for Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, etc. so they're really top of the game guys. But even for just really nice "drivers" like S-Class MBs, Jags, 7 Series BMWs, etc they're fetching $500 or so.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
TW Ice simply will not last - proven fact. If your car's finish is in very good shape to begin with then Ice will make it look great. For a short while. If your finish needs some real help, it simply does nothing to correct issues. That doesn't make it a bad product, don't get me wrong. It just won't correct defects (swirls, etching, etc) and it doesn't last. It also doesn't really offer any protection since it's a pure polish, not a wax/sealant.
Pardon Me.

My car's finish is great to begin with. ICE made it better , much better,...Meguiars didn't...Sorry, it didn't . I'm just reporting , I have nothing to gain... I don't work for anyone- I and I don't care what you use.

Last edited by modulator; 05-06-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Yes he only charges 140 for a full in and out detail. And not hes not some "wack" haha, this is the only thing he has done his whole life. And trust me ive seen some "wack" ones out there. I guess out in CA, I assume you do live in CA since your name says "orange" im assuming either orange county CA, but anyway, out there Im sure people would drop $500 for somthing like that, which in my opinion is absurd. My friends dad is 60 years old and still gets down on his hands and knees. But he does a great job, I promise you, your $500 dollar detail wont get it cleaner or shinnier. Just about 380 bucks poorer.

As far as the ICE products, they are not protectants. And it really last no longer than about 2-4 weeks depending on weather and conditions. And Mod just uses it because its the lazy way out. It follows my concept of with time comes perfection. Any product that goes on quick, comes off quick. I spent nearly 4 hours applying deep crystal cleaner wax, the mirror glaze 7, and then yellow carb 26 wax. And yes the stuff does work, you just have to take the time and do it right. (period)

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM

Pardon Me.

My car's finish is great to begin with. ICE made it better , much better,...Meguiars didn't...Sorry, it didn't . I'm just reporting , I have nothing to gain... I don't work for anyone- I and I don't care what you use.
No need to be so defensive. Reread my post - I said if your finish is in good shape Ice will make it look great. I wasn't arguing with you, I wasn't saying you did something stupid, I didn't say it was a bad product. I said if your paint is in good shape to begin with it will make your paint look great. Your experience just proved me right. And yet you're upset and defensive? Why?

But when someone comes on a car forum and mentions having some issues with their paint, like caughtNthexfire06 said he had, then what he did was the proper approach. A product like Ice would not have helped him. I don't really care that he used Meguiar's even though I work for them. I just appreciate that he took the proper steps to correct the issues with his paint. I know he could have done the same with Adam's, Klasse, and others as long as he used proper technique, which apparently he did.

Yes, I work for Meguair's so if someone asks me for a product recommendation I'm going to recommend something that I know will work for the issue at hand within our product line. I'm not going to tell someone that they shouldn't use a certain brand just because it's not Meguiar's. I will tell them what products won't work for an issue, even if that includes a Meguiar's product that I know is wrong for the problem.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

No need to be so defensive. Reread my post - I said if your finish is in good shape Ice will make it look great. I wasn't arguing with you, I wasn't saying you did something stupid, I didn't say it was a bad product. I said if your paint is in good shape to begin with it will make your paint look great. Your experience just proved me right. And yet you're upset and defensive? Why?

But when someone comes on a car forum and mentions having some issues with their paint, like caughtNthexfire06 said he had, then what he did was the proper approach. A product like Ice would not have helped him. I don't really care that he used Meguiar's even though I work for them. I just appreciate that he took the proper steps to correct the issues with his paint. I know he could have done the same with Adam's, Klasse, and others as long as he used proper technique, which apparently he did.

Yes, I work for Meguair's so if someone asks me for a product recommendation I'm going to recommend something that I know will work for the issue at hand within our product line. I'm not going to tell someone that they shouldn't use a certain brand just because it's not Meguiar's. I will tell them what products won't work for an issue, even if that includes a Meguiar's product that I know is wrong for the problem.
Wasn't repling to you, sorry.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by caughtNthexfire06
Yes he only charges 140 for a full in and out detail. And not hes not some "wack" haha, this is the only thing he has done his whole life. And trust me ive seen some "wack" ones out there. I guess out in CA, I assume you do live in CA since your name says "orange" im assuming either orange county CA, but anyway, out there Im sure people would drop $500 for somthing like that, which in my opinion is absurd. My friends dad is 60 years old and still gets down on his hands and knees. But he does a great job, I promise you, your $500 dollar detail wont get it cleaner or shinnier. Just about 380 bucks poorer.
I have no reason to doubt you and I'm sure he's probably a harder working guy with a better work ethic than lots of younger guys, and has more talent in his little finger than a lot of guys have in their whole body. Sometimes it's just a reality check for me seeing prices of stuff in other parts of the country - everything is so darn expensive out here!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Mike, I think Meguiars is the best....TW has something here.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM

Wasn't repling to you, sorry.
Well, you did quote me in your response so it sort of followed that you were replying to me.

No harm, no foul. It's all good.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks Mike, for clearing that up, I was wondering about the combative talk. Anyway, thanks, and yes I would recommend Mcguires products. The gold class car wash is the best. (In my opinion).

Even my uncle used the ICE stuff on his 78 corvette (25th anv) and he said the stuff makes it look great, but only for a short period of time.

My intentions of doing all that work to my car was to remove the (s*it) from my paint. Everyone should use the cleaner wax once in a while, it really helps get rid of the unwanted oxidation and grime that builds up.

They probably call it (ICE) for a reason. It's slick, shiny, easy to apply, but melts away as soon as the heat hits it.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

Mike, No disrespect,,, Meguirars is what what I trust ... the ICE stuff is something you need to deal with... it really works.
Mike,

I reallly trust Muguiars. Really.

Ice works, really, really.Even if temporaiily.

Mike. It really works. I think that Meguiars is the best, but it shines baby, more than the b ig M, Help Me.

Last edited by modulator; 05-06-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Mike, I think Meguiars is the best....TW has something here.
Can I ask...... was this the first time you used Ice? I've just seen so many discussions where the stuff just doesn't last at all. If this is your first use of the product I'd be real interested to hear your comments 2 or 3 weeks from now - provided your Crossfire is a daily driver. Honestly, for a garage queen (and my Crossfire is borderline for that status) it doesn't take much to keep it looking great. Getting it there in the first place can be a trick though!

My car sat around a few dealer lots for 2 years before I bought it and the swirls and scratches were just horrible. The same Meguiar's products I've been using on my PT Cruiser did nothing for the Crossfire because of this insanely hard paint. I used our new M105 Ultra Cut Compound with my rotary buffer and the followed with our M03 Machine Glaze, again by rotary, and then topped with our old M16 Carnauba. M105 got rid of all the swirls and scratches, M03 added great gloss and color depth, and the M16 locks it all down and offers great protection.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0024.JPG (4.01 MB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0025.JPG (3.94 MB, 42 views)
Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 PM

Sometimes it's just a reality check for me seeing prices of stuff in other parts of the country - everything is so darn expensive out here!
That might be why Google placed a data center here in our county, because the cost of power is less than half the cost that it is out there.

http://www.google.com/datacenter/lenoir/

The Lenoir offer certainly had much to recommend it. Electricity, for one thing, costs only 4.5 cents to 5 cents per kilowatt-hour on average in North Carolina.

Maybe you should relocate, come enjoy the NC mountains Mike

Quick Reply: Meguires All the Way