Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Nxt 2.0

Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Nxt 2.0

she better look good Friday....Max....LOL

Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike!
I'll let it dry for a few hours. Southern Ohio "Rain" and cold for tomorrow. So; when the weather breaks again, I'll be ready.
I appreciate the tips!

Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
she better look good Friday....Max....LOL
I hope she'll pass muster...

Old 03-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Mike,
Thanks! I'm in Southern Ohio and tomorrows weather is cold and rain. So; I will spread it thin and let it sit for 2 hours! I really appreciate your tips! That goes for the whole forum, I've got a lot to learn.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maclovinX
Mike,
Thanks! I'm in Southern Ohio and tomorrows weather is cold and rain. So; I will spread it thin and let it sit for 2 hours! I really appreciate your tips! That goes for the whole forum, I've got a lot to learn.
It is recommended not to use this or most other surface care products when the temp is below about 50~55F. Even at that temp, and certainly with high humidity, the drying time will be prolonged. Colder than that and application can become an issue. This holds true not only for almost all Meguiar's products, but most other company's products as well. Just sort of the nature of the beast.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it's 65 in my garage, and I'm taking a break from DA'ing SwirlX. 1/2 done and then the NXT 2.0.

I really like these products Mike.

When you sell a redhead to apply them, I'll buy stock in Meguiars!

I'm about to attack the tape strip. I'll let ya' know...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 AM

I did my girlfriends Toyota Highlander with NXT 2.0 and it looks amazing.
She had it "permaplated" when she purchased the car. And said, "That ithis is all it needs, no waxing or anything". It took quite a bit of explaining, that permaplate does not do anything. WELL, it looks like new now.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Forum Regular

Mike
Couple of things
  1. I appreciate your response on how you view your competition - you are right FP roadster - looks flawless, and if likes it - great
  2. I have been using Liquid Glass for close to 20 years now - and it seems that the longer I use it on the car - the slicker the surface becomes - or am I just kidding my self?
  3. What is the difference between Liquid Glass Nxt2.0?
  4. There is an Dupont Auto paint store here in town and they sell some rather high end polishes and waxes (Liquid Glass has gotten kinda pricey) - and they said that for everyday use - stick to LG - but use Meguiar's detail spray and your marine canvas cleaner and protectant. I followed their advice - BUT I have always wondered what's the diff between the better products off the shelf and the real higher end stuff? (sorry I didn't get specific product info - but it was about $100.00 for the same size of Nxt2.0)
Mike if you could clear some this up I would appreciate it - thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MAKIII
Mike
Couple of things
  1. I appreciate your response on how you view your competition - you are right FP roadster - looks flawless, and if likes it - great
  2. I have been using Liquid Glass for close to 20 years now - and it seems that the longer I use it on the car - the slicker the surface becomes - or am I just kidding my self?
  3. What is the difference between Liquid Glass Nxt2.0?
  4. There is an Dupont Auto paint store here in town and they sell some rather high end polishes and waxes (Liquid Glass has gotten kinda pricey) - and they said that for everyday use - stick to LG - but use Meguiar's detail spray and your marine canvas cleaner and protectant. I followed their advice - BUT I have always wondered what's the diff between the better products off the shelf and the real higher end stuff? (sorry I didn't get specific product info - but it was about $100.00 for the same size of Nxt2.0)
Mike if you could clear some this up I would appreciate it - thanks
I've only played with Liquid Glass a couple of times but I actually like the stuff. It's sort of an old school product that has changed a bit over the years - still has a bit of a solvent smell to it but much of its cleaning ability has be taken out. I do find it very odd that the instructions say to apply it with a coarse cloth though - that actually bothers me! I'm also not a big fan of products that claim multiple coats will enhance the look or add more protection. Our own chemists have yet to prove conclusively that you can continue to build layer after layer of wax. Liquid Glass goes so far as to state on their website that The more coats applied, the deeper and richer the gloss. The protection will also improve. For example, many coats have been known to increase the resistance to stone chips. I struggle with claims like this because it implies that something you pour out of a bottle and wipe off to where there's just a microscopically thin layer left behind is actually harder than the paint itself. Putting aside all these claims (I'll let you determine if they are crazy or not) I do find Liquid Glass easy to use and it does give a very nice shine and a nice, slick feel. But I also think that any additional gloss or slickness you're experiencing is more just a function of regularly using the product than any actual buildup of these characteristics.

I would say if you are happy using Liquid Glass as your primary protectant then following the recommendation you got for using Meguiar's Quik Detailer is a good one - although I'd step it up a notch and use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. Our canvas cleaner and protectant also do a fantastic job on the Crossfire canvas top and are really easy to use as well.

As for differences between very expensive "boutique" type products and over the counter products, most of it is marketing. Even the $7,000 Zymol Royale Estate wax is not going to make a neglected 10 year old car look any better than a Meguiar's, Mother's or Turtle Wax $7 cleaner wax will. In fact, due to the cleaners in those inexpensive cleaner waxes, they would blow away the Zymol Royale on a neglected finish. But once you prepare a finish to perfection via claying, proper machine cleaning/polishing and perhaps hand applying a pure polish for ultimate gloss, the final wax you put on top isn't going to make a really huge difference. The vast majority of your gloss comes from all the prep, not the final wax. I have seen a $2500 wax applied side by side to Meguiar's M26 on a perfectly prepared black surface and I couldn't tell them apart. At 200X the price of the M26, that expensive boutique product should have blown me away, but it didn't. I would gladly use Liquid Glass instead of the pricey stuff any day.

In the Meguiar's line the biggest difference between our Mirror Glaze pro line and our consumer line - when there are similar products in both lines, at least - the primary difference is that the Mirror Glaze pro stuff is formulated to be used with a rotary buffer, D/A buffer or by hand, whereas the consumer line is formulated for D/A or hand use only. We do have some products on the pro side that don't exist on the consumer side - M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax and M20 Polymer Sealant don't have direct counterparts on the consumer side, and almost none of the cleaner/polishes on the pro side have consumer counterparts.

Meguiar's is in kind of unique position in this industry since we cater to all types of users, from the total novice who's never waxed a car, to hard core enthusiasts who are interested in machine polishing, to extreme high end show cars (most Pebble Beach winners have been prepped with our products), to body shops, the OEMs, etc. Others like 3M cater primarily to the body shop and OEMs with very little consumer products, or Zaino, Adam's, Pinnacle, etc who's customer base is the hard core enthusiast and nothing else, or Turtle Wax who markets almost exlusively to the general consumer.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Forum Regular

Mike

that was great! Answered my questions to the point and what I feel is totally honest, thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Mike,
I used the clay bar and the Nxt 2.0. The Crossfire looks great! I was also reading your previous post where you mentioned Ultimate Quick Detailer. Can you explain the difference between QD and Ultimate QD? I use the quick detailer on a regular basis, but the $ tag on the Ultimate has kept me away. Is it twice as good?
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by maclovinX
Mike,
I used the clay bar and the Nxt 2.0. The Crossfire looks great! I was also reading your previous post where you mentioned Ultimate Quick Detailer. Can you explain the difference between QD and Ultimate QD? I use the quick detailer on a regular basis, but the $ tag on the Ultimate has kept me away. Is it twice as good?
Thanks!
Quik Detailer in the burgundy bottle is the original product of its type. It is designed to do nothing more than add lubricity to the surface so you can safely wipe away light dust and fingerprint smudges without scratching the paint. Ultimate Quik Detailer contains the same hydrophobic polymers found in the NXT 2.0 wax, although in a lower concentration. While not a substitute for a proper wax job, it will leave some additional protection behind and help to enhance the gloss. Same lubricity - more actually - in the process, so you would use it the same way and for the same reasons you use the regular QD.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular

Very interesting on the QD, Mike.

Last bottle I bought was the newer "Ultimate"
It seemed to go on easier and still serves my purposes...Quick Detail between wash/polish.

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Mike,
Thanks again! I guess I'll have to go to the store and buy some Ultimate QD.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Mike - Your comments and explanations are very helpful - you are providing a real service to the forum. Thanks.

I've read this thread and some others and would be interested in your opinion of Meguiar's M26 High Tech Yellow Wax vs Nxt2.0.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Mike - Your comments and explanations are very helpful - you are providing a real service to the forum. Thanks.

I've read this thread and some others and would be interested in your opinion of Meguiar's M26 High Tech Yellow Wax vs Nxt2.0.
Happy to help.

M26 and NXT 2.0 are very different products. M26 is a premium carnauba blend that also contains some polymers to help with application/removal and longevity of the product. NXT and its counterpart on the pro side, M21 Synthetic Sealant, are fully synthetic products that can also be called sealants if you prefer. As such they'll last longer than traditional carnauba waxes but the final appearance can be a bit different. Many perceive synthetics as leaving a more "plasticy" looking shine whereas carnaubas give a deeper, wetter look. That sort of "plasticy" look - I prefer to call it a bright, crisp shine - can be a real benefit to lighter colors like silver and white that just can't give you the depth of color found in dark blues, reds, blacks, etc. So while some say you should use a carnauba on dark colors and a synthetic on light colors, a lot of it comes down to personal preference. Heck, some folks even like to put the M26 on top of the M21. I've been guilty of that myself on more than one occassion.