Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Softer Paint???

Old 07-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softer Paint???

Living in Phoenix, small stones and gravel on the highways are an issue here. So much in fact I've went through six or seven windshiels since moving here in '97. I was wondering if anyone has noticed if the XF paint is more prone to chip easier than some of their other cars they've owned??? I've had two other cars that sit low to the ground and have not had the problem as I'm having on the XF. Thanks for any inputs.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AZ i'm having the same problems here ... I've had two chips so far... one major one I needed repaired... If I recieve another one I will be getting a new windshield because of the size of the gaps these leave! ... I really do notice that the wind shield is softer then my other vehicles for sure!

Old 07-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the paint is on the softer side too. My daily work commute is on I-95 which is one of the most trafficked interstates in the country. Lots of trucks and opportunities to get chips in the paint. I am to the point where I sometimes take alernate routes home on state highways (slower speeds, fewer trucks, and single lanes). Not only do I think the car's resistance to chips is less than average, I have noticed more light scratches than I would have expected (some were probably there when I took delivery of the car). If you want to see your car's paint in the worst light possible park it under one of those really bright lights at your local shopping center parking lot. At some angles you will find scratches in the clearcoat that you will rarely notice during the day.

Another issue I have related to the paint is that DCX does not make splash guards. The soft treaded tires throw up lots of stones under the car, and the painted portion of the rocker panel goes way under.

I've repaired a handful of chips using Chrysler's touch-up paint. The alabaster color match isn't all the great either. If you wet sand and compound the touched-up spot properly though it is hard for most others to tell you repaired it.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Softer Paint???

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Living in Phoenix, small stones and gravel on the highways are an issue here. So much in fact I've went through six or seven windshiels since moving here in '97. I was wondering if anyone has noticed if the XF paint is more prone to chip easier than some of their other cars they've owned??? I've had two other cars that sit low to the ground and have not had the problem as I'm having on the XF. Thanks for any inputs.
time to add "stongard.com....xpel.com....invinca-shield.com....for added protection against stone chips. this is a must have imo. langka.com for chip repair.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI

It maybe that Chrysler have moved to water based paints on the Crossfire, (I cannot remember where they are built) if like the Grand Voyager they are built in Europe (austria) then they will be water based rather than solvent based paints these are much softer and prone to damage any car with water based paints HAS to be protected as it will sustain significant stonechip damage.

Best Wishes

Tom Wakeford

www.paintshield.co.uk

Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 AM

An interesting point to note is that as soft as the Crossfire's paint is, it's not as soft as the paint on my Stratus was... That paint could be dented with your fingernail.