Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Help with Removing Swirls

Old 07-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Removing Swirls

I have a black coupe and believe it or not, the idiots at the delaer decided to use a buffer on it apparently and have swirled the paint bad. We all know black is succeptible anyway, and that the XF's paint isn't too hard, anyone have a good solution? I was considering using a filler glaze by hand. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Forum Regular

If it is bad then they should buff it out with compound for you, that is a part of the dealer prep they should provide when deliverying the car....

For light swirls I would use the zaino products - http://www.zainostore.com

-marc

Old 07-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto,if the dealer did it you should tell them! If they can't fix it then take it to a good detail shop get a written estimate and make the dealer pay for it! Most dealers have noncaring detail crews that are not that picky and are paid by the hour not by the satisfied customer!

Old 07-31-2004, 04:26 PM
Default Dealer... lol

Those sry SOB's deny ever buffing it, even though the night I bought it it was very late and they couldn't "detail" it until another day and said they'd have a guy run a paddle over it and shine it up. That to me proves they had done it before. Getting them to admit to fault is another thing. I don't want any compound used on it, that will just take away more of my clear coat. I wanna try something less abrasive by hand like 3M's filler glaze. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas, thanks.

Old 07-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can hand rub it with just a polisher,try Meguirs polish glazer.Alittle corn starch mixed in .

Old 08-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Help with Removing Swirls

Originally Posted by DaveGTR
I have a black coupe and believe it or not, the idiots at the delaer decided to use a buffer on it apparently and have swirled the paint bad. We all know black is succeptible anyway, and that the XF's paint isn't too hard, anyone have a good solution? I was considering using a filler glaze by hand. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
after owning an auto detailing business for 10 years (sold 3 years ago) and trying many different products...i highly recommend..."plum crazy" by malco. i would do a key word search to find a distributor in your area. the product is applied by hand...very easy to work with.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Dealer... lol

Originally Posted by DaveGTR
I don't want any compound used on it, that will just take away more of my clear coat.
I would for this "initial" time. it is better than having to worry about the stupid swirls for the rest of your life, the up keep will be less in the long run...

just remember on black to only use a thick mitt (no sponges) and to only wash in the direction of the grain - never do a circular motion or you will cause them. Rember to wax it the same way too..

-marc

Old 08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Default I found my swirl and or scratch solution!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know I purchased some of 3M's Hand Glaze and it works GREAT! It's applied by hand and comes off very easily. Leaves a deep wet looking shine. This isn't a wax, it's a glaze and fills in any marks to brilliant luster. Unlike wax, u don't need to let it dry and it comes off relatively simple with minimal elbow grease. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone wishing to have a better looking car.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:08 PM

With the 3M Hand Glaze, do you still need to wax?
I just bought my BLACK X-Fire. It's in the shop now, but when it comes out I'm sure it will need a good washing & a coat of wax. Would you recommend the 3M for a first wax? Any other suggestions.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Default 3M as a wax?

Originally Posted by GoodEnough
With the 3M Hand Glaze, do you still need to wax?
I just bought my BLACK X-Fire. It's in the shop now, but when it comes out I'm sure it will need a good washing & a coat of wax. Would you recommend the 3M for a first wax? Any other suggestions.
I too own a black x-fire. What I recommend is if at all possible, viewing your paints surface under flourescent lights (in a garage), or under some super bright lights like at the mall, if these aren't available to you, pick a good sunny day and examine your vehicle from all angles to get an idea of how good or bad the paints surface really is. You have to be the one to decide if you're satisfied with it. As far as using 3M Hand Glaze as a wax, although it does give you some protection from the sun etc, it is just a "filler" glaze designed to "fill in" the imperfections in the paint, ie: swirls, scuffs etc., not act as a wax. What I did with mine was washed it really well and dried it by hand, then parked in a cool shady area for the 3M.
The stuff is very creamy and non abrasive, work in small sections at a time. The bottle suggests working in an area small enough to wipe off before it has a chance to dry, but don't worry, even if it does dry it will NOT damage your paint, just makes it a little harder to get off which means more elbow grease and time. I would use the 3M a couple times at least to get the desired "wet shine" look you're after. As I had said in earlier forum posts my x-fire was swirled by a buffer.(Never use a buffer on a x-fire, the paint is too soft, look at some other forums and you'll see others agree with me) Anyway, I only used the 3M one time so far and man what a difference! I love it and will continue to use it. Now back to your question, as I said I would use the 3M until ur satisfied, once you are then use a good wax (by hand, I know it sucks by hand but it's your baby right!? lol) Hope this has helped. Please let me know what you think after you try it out. Happy motorin'!

Old 09-11-2004, 11:23 PM

Get yourself some 'Safe Cut' by The Wax Shop. It is the greatest stuff ever!

Old 09-13-2004, 12:02 PM

Griot's Garage has some terrific products. A full product range of care care products including cleaners and waxes and polishes. Extensive and expensive...but some of the best I have ever used. The Best of Show wax is unbeatable. I am surprised that I have never seen their name in this forum, but I would recommend them witout reservation. They are on the web.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by cwdilg
Griot's Garage has some terrific products. A full product range of care care products including cleaners and waxes and polishes. Extensive and expensive...but some of the best I have ever used. The Best of Show wax is unbeatable. I am surprised that I have never seen their name in this forum, but I would recommend them witout reservation. They are on the web.
I agree.. Have been using Griot's products for the last few months, they are outstanding !! And, they are only 5 miles from my house !!

Old 09-15-2004, 03:33 AM

I have a coat of Mequiars NXT wax..

check it out at:
http://www.stanarseneaux.com/crossfi...led/index.html

It has a mild cleaning action that also helps cover swirls. Once you get the second coat on the paint really shines!

stan