Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Touch-up Paint

Old 01-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Touch-up Paint

I'll be the first to admit that I spend more time thinking about what's under the hood than the hood itself, but recently I picked up a good sized chip in the paint from one of those &^%$& trash haulers on I95. What's the preferred method for applying touch-up paint so there is no little bubble or divot left on the finish? I can never seem to get it right!

Old 01-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Touch-up Paint

Basically, apply touch-up paint to a super-cleaned surface, then wet sand the surface, polish, then apply sealant and wax! Here is the article:
http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

P.S: I am at James Madison University and I would love to meet you. We can talk (and perform) detailing too.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Golfdude- isn't there an additive you can get that smoothes out the touch up paint? I remember people talking about it on the PT site to which I used to belong? Sorry but I forget what the stuff is called but it makes it so the touch up paint doesn't bubble up on you??? Hey is Lefty still at JMU? Great school, great area.

Pat

Old 01-24-2006, 10:08 PM

Patpur, unfortunately, I have never heard of this stuff that smoothes-out touch-up paint. But, I will research it when I have time (probably tomorrow morning). Also, sorry if I have to ask, but who is Lefty? Bobs, sorry for hijacking this thread...if you think I am doing so, please let me know. Lastly, I would love to have a few Crossfires show up at JMU during the car show in May, sponsored by Madison Motorsports (mmsports.org).

Old 01-25-2006, 05:20 AM
Forum Regular

Don't worry about it, and thanks for the link. I have to say that you have the perfect car for the area you live in. Please tell me that you've had your Crossfire up and down Skyline drive a few times, right?

Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by patpur
Golfdude- isn't there an additive you can get that smoothes out the touch up paint?
here it is...

langka.com

Old 01-25-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by bobs
Don't worry about it, and thanks for the link. I have to say that you have the perfect car for the area you live in. Please tell me that you've had your Crossfire up and down Skyline drive a few times, right?
Unfortunately, the Crossfire is not down here for many reasons...vandalism could be an issue, but more importantly, it would be difficult to stay within the mileage restrictions that a lease offers.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Thanks Andrew, that's the stuff. I never had a need to use it but other folks on the PT Enthusiast Forums used it with great results.

Golfdude - Lefty Drisell. Didn't he coach JMU's basketball program after he left Maryland?

Pat

Old 01-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by golfdude
Basically, apply touch-up paint to a super-cleaned surface, then wet sand the surface, polish, then apply sealant and wax! Here is the article:
http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

P.S: I am at James Madison University and I would love to meet you. We can talk (and perform) detailing too.
Golfdude, thanks for the info. I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow...

Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
Thanks Andrew, that's the stuff. I never had a need to use it but other folks on the PT Enthusiast Forums used it with great results.

Golfdude - Lefty Drisell. Didn't he coach JMU's basketball program after he left Maryland?

Pat
I believe Lefty left JMU...But don't hold me accountable for this as I really don't follow sports (cars are my passion).

Old 02-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew
here it is...

langka.com
Just ordered the product today...will see how it works. Has anyone else used this? And how was the outcome?

Old 02-03-2006, 08:08 PM

I got it about a week ago. But I haven't used it yet. I have a scratch about six inches long and down to the primer that I touched up last month. I hope it will work on it to make it look better. I will let you know after I try it.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by aschrager
I got it about a week ago. But I haven't used it yet. I have a scratch about six inches long and down to the primer that I touched up last month. I hope it will work on it to make it look better. I will let you know after I try it.
I have the same thing...a scratch about 6 inches long...have no idea how it got there because I don't remember rubbing against anything to cause it. The scratch is deep so hopefully this stuff will help??? Will be anxious to hear how you come out with it.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 PM

I picked up some touch-up paint yesterday. It now has a pen top and the bulky brush. I tested it on some painted metal and it works pretty good.